IT.COM

Stolen LLLL.coms from GoDaddy Account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
On Sunday 15/11/2015 - Someone hacked into my Godaddy account and transferred 7 of my domains away from my account, please see the list below and do not buy any of them:

• B6F.COM
  • MRRR.COM
  • MFFF.COM
  • B4Y.COM
  • DYYE.COM
  • LIEA.COM
  • WDRA.COM
Please do not buy any of these domains.

The worse thing is that I have been trying for a whole week to get Godaddy to help me and I am going around in circles getting absolutely no help. Although the customer service people over the phone try and help but they say they have no authority to do much. All I get told to do is send emails to various departments and those departments tell me to contact other departments, this has turned out to be a very stressful experience. I would have through a company like Godaddy takes such cases more seriously.

Has anyone here got any experience with this and how I can get these domains back?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got the same problem today , my domain was stolen . I contacted Godaddy support several times and was told to wait up to 72h . Hope you'll get them all back ...

That's what they have been telling me since Sunday. I hope you get a fast resolution.

why 72 hours? So that it can be gone forever?

This is the part I could not understand. After 72 hours I would get told to contact another department??????

•••
I don't know .. I have also contacted Joe Styler , hope he could help .

•••
Just curious, was OP using a web based email, ala @yahoo, @gmail, @hotmail etc.?

Correct. That was part of the problem. Godaddy is not to be blamed for my faults. But either way I am just trying to get them back now.

•••
Just wondering if this also happens with 2nd step verification?

•••
Probably not. It is not enough to steal email, get password, you'd have to have that person's cell phone as well.

•••
All sorted now. Joe gave me a call and it all got dealt with promptly. Thank you for all your help everyone and a big thank you to Joe.

•••
•••
If you believe the domain is with GoDaddy, send an email to [email protected] with your information.

Given that it is 5 days, I would think it may have gone out of GoDaddy.

In that case, you also want to immediately initiate a process with transfer disputes at GoDaddy. Fill out this form

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/TransferDispute/Index?prog_id=GoDaddy

@Joe Styler can guide you further. I've lost a few last week and Joe has been helpful. I am still waiting for my domains but this is a big problem.

Also contact the guys at DomainGang and get your story out in the public. They have been helpful to me as well.

•••
You should contact @Joe Styler he's a great guy and for sure will try his best to help.

•••
Don't you find it ridiculous that you have to use NP to get any actual help since their support won't do anything.
It's not even that they cant - they simply don't care enough.
But a bit of bad publicity and suddenly all can be fixed in a blink of an eye? :xf.rolleyes:

Until they implement some additional protection we can consider our names insecure.

And no, 2FA is not an answer for many:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/im-having-trouble-with-godaddy-2-step-verification.895651/

•••
i thnk with value of domains booming on all froents, there could potentially come into life some new options/companies/websites that essentially deal with aset protection. in whichever ways they may innovvate that. heck, some of them could maybe even guarnatee it, and then offer back money if fail.

houses are insurd. why wouldn't domains be

•••
I can see that - how long before we see ad from Godaddy: For an additional $10 per names we will actually protect your name from theft... :rolleyes:

•••
All sorted now. Joe gave me a call and it all got dealt with promptly. Thank you for all your help everyone and a big thank you to Joe.

How exactly was this sorted out? How did the push succeed in the first place? What is Godaddy's side of the story?

•••
I think GD must have some big issues as all these problems keep happening with them; I really hope you will get everything back sooner rather than later.
Did you buy any chance received any suspicious GD email? Like this?
https://www.namepros.com/threads/warning-new-godaddy-phishing-email.895504/#post-5132331

Also someone was saying ( I think in Ali thread ) that hacking a phone is much easier than a computer and that the software that does that is sold online for 60$..
Unless GD decides to put some more measures in then hackers will always be ahead of us; I have suggested they stop speeding the transfers out so that stolen domains stay longer within GD and they are easier to recover.
But they said no.

•••
Just curious, was OP using a web based email, ala @yahoo, @gmail, @hotmail etc.?
Correct. That was part of the problem. Godaddy is not to be blamed for my faults. But either way I am just trying to get them back now.
Can you clarify this? You were or were not using a web based email? My understanding is that this is what is now being recommended, since only a web based email provides 2 factor authentication.

Also, the other thread on this suggests that you use a different email for your registrar account than you use for your registrant info (which is what shows up in whois searches). Most attempts to hack your account will use your registrant email, since that is public , and not your account email.

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if you can do a legal hacking to get your domains back from his account?

•••
As I stated on DomainGang, there needs to be a 'holding pattern' for names in dispute

•••
Probably not. It is not enough to steal email, get password, you'd have to have that person's cell phone as well.

Is GD's 2step verification free to use worldwide?

•••
•••
This is the problem which has probably confused Godaddy in this scam, the person who stole the domains did not update the contact details. So they think its all fine because I show up in the Whois records. If that makes sense at all?

I think the real trouble occurs if your domains leave godaddy. once they are still within godaddy, I think this gives you a real good chance of recovery.

we read many stories of this happenign before, but I think in most cases the problem was the dn was transfered out imo

hope you get them back

•••
maybe for people with the more valuable domains, there are more secure registrsrs.. with extra measures of security.. or what not.

or do people generally keep even extremely valuable dn at random registrars like the average domainer does these days for his less expensive assets? just wondering

•••
Our Godaddy account was also hacked. We have retrieved most of the domains but 14491.com is still out there.

Please flag 14491.com as stolen and avoid it.

Thank you

•••
I can see that - how long before we see ad from Godaddy: For an additional $10 per names we will actually protect your name from theft... :rolleyes:
it should be free..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back