IT.COM

discuss Stocks Down, Coins Down...Domains!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Today, here in the US we have seen the djia (stock market) drop as much as 1500 points! In the crypto market, we see Bitcoin today at just above 7k!

We are also seeing reports of increased domain auction and sales activity!

I think long term, domains will provide shelter that other investment vehicles just don't provide.

Call me crazy, but careful acquisition of quality domains seems much less risky!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The last recession was a great opp for buyers, the next should be even better, if your wise enough to be around. It won;t be long :)

•••
Your 5 dots at the end make the impending doom even creepier! ;) lol

Seriously though .. I definitely do know what you're saying .. and as well agree it will have an influence and effect on the industry .. particularly combining non-visual interfaces (OKGoogle, alexa, siri) with an eventual critical mass of the general population "understanding" ngTLDs .. that combo will hurt lower-tier .com's

That being said .. I don't think the effect will be overly detrimental .. and I do think there will still be a demand for good domains for a multitude of other reasons (trust, authenticity, marketing, email, etc)

And that's what I have to say about that ...... (did you notice I have 6 dots there? lol) ;)

Love your humour (real spelling) (y)

Of course I hope I am wrong.... I love domaining and I hope I can milk it for a few more years :xf.smile:

Where is that milking emoticon (n)

•••
I think domains will have the same "fate" as emails.

People "predicted" the death of emails many times, first email vs. RSS, then email vs. web 2.0, now email vs. Facebook. Email is stronger than ever and performing pretty well.

I think same will be with domains. Businesses COMPETE, and having a site is a way to stand out from the crowd. Plus, you don't control the DISPLAY on your info on Facebook, Google etc. Also Google Places has a big fat "Website" icon when you search for local businesses (for eg: new york lawyers) Imagine all top sites have it, you'll prob want it too.

Most importantly, the reason domains will survive is their de-centralized nature. Facebook/Google can shut down your page at a whim...all your hard work gone, boom. With domains, it's far form easy to do that. Someone has to submit an appeal, and the appeal to get approved, etc....

De-centralization is the reason why email is surviving for so long imo. Publishers who decided to go and get FB fans vs. email subscribers are now regretting their decision because with each FB update less and less of their fans see their content and they'll have to pay FB to reach the fans they already have, it's ridiculous.

So what makes you think that tomorrow Google won't release some premium "business" feature for which you'll have to pay +$xx a month to get, for eg, live chat when people visit your page? With a website you can get this for free (many live chat components are now free). If I was a business, I wouldn't put my FB page on my business card, because the new FB layout is ridiculous and I don't control what they see first. With a website, I have TOTAL control.

Especially for offline businesses, who need a way to present their business and want to control and have a consistent presentation (without worrying what FB will do tomorrow to change/remove something), a domain name is the best way to do this.

Domains are here to stay because as a business you have so much CONTROL over it (the same like with email), vs. relying on something from a third party. You control what people will see, which people will be able to access it (what if Google for some reason decides to block or make it 100x harder for people from region x to access your page?), HOW they can get in touch with you (I can't really embed "Call me on Viber" button on a FB page, can't I?) etc.

Last edited:
•••
You've got it backwards I'm happy to say! :) .. Now I'm not saying that at some point in the distant future domains won't be come obsolete .. but the truth is ...

Domains ARE the phone numbers (still very much a must 100 years later)

Google IS the phone book (no longer relevant today)

It might not seem like it .. but Google is in serious (long-term) trouble in terms of pure search. Live, auto-complete, auto-prediction interfaces will indeed take a huge bite out of search page results (their bread and butter for displaying ads).

But below all the search .. regardless of how people search and get their results .. those actual results still need addresses. Particularly when it comes to businesses. Obviously some types of data do not need an actual domain and could simply reside on IP addresses .. but there are a lot of reasons why domains will still be relevant .. mainly in terms of sales .. and trust/security.

Most importantly .. communication is still absolutely vital today and will be for quite some time. Email is here to stay for a very long time. In fact .. if anything is to ever replace phone numbers it will be you email address(es).

There was a short time when big corps could have started the slow process of usurping the need for domains (namely FACEBOOK) .. a few years ago quite a few startups launched only on Facebook and other social media. But with Facebook getting too greedy and placing too many barriers (and money) between their corporate users (pages/groups) and the users/fans of those businesses .. many businesses have now woken up to the fact they absolutely NEED their OWN online presence and address .. and cannot place the fate of their business in the hands of some communications giant.

Domains aren't going anywhere anytime soon. That being said .. how they are used could and likely will change quite a bit as interfaces change. Alexa, Siri, Google and the sort will certainly bring huge changes to how we connect with information and data .. but that information still needs to be found somewhere.

All that being said .. there certainly are possible changes that could affect value of domains. In the future these kinds of interfaces could diminish the importance of having a .com vs a ngTLD for example. But that's a different story ... ;)
You've got it backwards I'm happy to say! :) .. Now I'm not saying that at some point in the distant future domains won't be come obsolete .. but the truth is ...

Domains ARE the phone numbers (still very much a must 100 years later)

Google IS the phone book (no longer relevant today)

It might not seem like it .. but Google is in serious (long-term) trouble in terms of pure search. Live, auto-complete, auto-prediction interfaces will indeed take a huge bite out of search page results (their bread and butter for displaying ads).

But below all the search .. regardless of how people search and get their results .. those actual results still need addresses. Particularly when it comes to businesses. Obviously some types of data do not need an actual domain and could simply reside on IP addresses .. but there are a lot of reasons why domains will still be relevant .. mainly in terms of sales .. and trust/security.

Most importantly .. communication is still absolutely vital today and will be for quite some time. Email is here to stay for a very long time. In fact .. if anything is to ever replace phone numbers it will be you email address(es).

There was a short time when big corps could have started the slow process of usurping the need for domains (namely FACEBOOK) .. a few years ago quite a few startups launched only on Facebook and other social media. But with Facebook getting too greedy and placing too many barriers (and money) between their corporate users (pages/groups) and the users/fans of those businesses .. many businesses have now woken up to the fact they absolutely NEED their OWN online presence and address .. and cannot place the fate of their business in the hands of some communications giant.

Domains aren't going anywhere anytime soon. That being said .. how they are used could and likely will change quite a bit as interfaces change. Alexa, Siri, Google and the sort will certainly bring huge changes to how we connect with information and data .. but that information still needs to be found somewhere.

All that being said .. there certainly are possible changes that could affect value of domains. In the future these kinds of interfaces could diminish the importance of having a .com vs a ngTLD for example. But that's a different story ... ;)

Here is how I see it,for ONE instance -
Not that many Years ago (in the UK and probabally elsewhere),Taxi firms would buy memorable phone numbers(as well as other businesses).In my opinion,at that time it made sense,the very first mobile phones had no way of storing phone numbers and having a memorable phone number made great business sense. 20 Years or so down the line,we can store phone numbers no problem on our phones and just search by name,or just search the company name on google!

I think domain names will go the same way,although hopefully not until I've sold my domain names!!

I know some on here will disagree,but I think it is a harsh reality,I think domain names in 10 years time will be as relevant as CB handles were!

•••
Although I do see emails sticking around for some time.

•••
Be careful and mark my words BTC will be worth less than $1K per coin by the end of December. Domains will always rise in value. So, there is no risk with domains.

•••
Here is how I see it,for ONE instance -
Not that many Years ago (in the UK and probabally elsewhere),Taxi firms would buy memorable phone numbers(as well as other businesses).In my opinion,at that time it made sense,the very first mobile phones had no way of storing phone numbers and having a memorable phone number made great business sense. 20 Years or so down the line,we can store phone numbers no problem on our phones and just search by name,or just search the company name on google!

I think domain names will go the same way,although hopefully not until I've sold my domain names!!

I know some on here will disagree,but I think it is a harsh reality,I think domain names in 10 years time will be as relevant as CB handles were!

Phones are means to CONTACT someone (after you know some stuff about them)

Domains are means to FIND MORE INFORMATION about someone (for which you know very little about).

Also, it's a matter of identity. A number is just one ASPECT of a company...its way to get in touch.

A domain name is in the company's IDENTITY, part of its name etc.

So I think comparing domains with phone numbers and using that analogy is not a good idea.

•••
Today, here in the US we have seen the djia (stock market) drop as much as 1500 points! In the crypto market, we see Bitcoin today at just above 7k!

I think long term, domains will provide shelter that other investment vehicles just don't provide.

Call me crazy, but careful acquisition of quality domains seems much less risky!

Domains are safety in a volatile world!

•••
Phones are means to CONTACT someone (after you know some stuff about them)

Domains are means to FIND MORE INFORMATION about someone (for which you know very little about).

Also, it's a matter of identity. A number is just one ASPECT of a company...its way to get in touch.

A domain name is in the company's IDENTITY, part of its name etc.

So I think comparing domains with phone numbers and using that analogy is not a good idea.
I know what your saying, but what need is there for a company to have a premium domain name, if they can easily be found online without one?

•••
when you speak domain names instead of writing them it will go like this...

sex.com
sexy.one
sexy.go
sex.go
sex.togo

sex..... I'm getting lost

what the hell.... lets try the business name

ok google... The Sexy company on first street - ok.... here you go

•••
•••
Eventually the info on the right will become more important than the info on the left.

It's happening already, we can deny it, but it is happening :'( :'( :'( :'(

I agree. I think that voice navigation seems to gathering acceptance more and more. These new devices by Amazon and Google will continue to scrape, chew up and spit out all the human created data placed on the internet, and deposit in firmware devices and poof, no need for anything. It's truly sad the way Facebook and all these social media platforms hold people within their "walls" too. Googles search results are not that accurate always either. I was just looking today, and all the top results were gamed websites- none were "industry brand leaders" but a bunch of garbage PBN ranked sites.

•••
I know what your saying, but what need is there for a company to have a premium domain name, if they can easily be found online without one?

Presumed trust? MyBigFatCompanyName.com is differently perceived than MyCompany.com. My points were that:

a) Every company is and prob will continue to be associated with a website.

b) The website name presumes something about the company. In the same way like the design of the website has a huge impact of how perceived the company's product is, I assume it's a (smaller, but still significant) degree with the site name.

I've been analyzing domain name sales (published a post on Shane's blog a while back) and many of the good sales come from companies that are ALREADY successful (they already mastered their niche, product, market, got customers etc.) and want a good domain name to be another competitive advantage.

•••
Many reasons....domains are like real estate online. As of now we don't even know what future importance owning a domain name might have.

Professional email which directly correlates to branding, etc. is a big reason.

•••
Many reasons....domains are like real estate online. As of now we don't even know what future importance owning a domain name might have.

Professional email which directly correlates to branding, etc. is a big reason.
Good point - email

•••
so.... binance tweets they are back online 7 hours ago.
but still can't login

think it was hacked?

xchanges rarely tell right away when they get hacked ;)

Last edited:
•••
I hope it wasn't hacked because most of my holdings are there... Anyways, I am seeing some strength with cryptos. While the Dow fell 1000 points yesterday, most of the coins maintained their price. Unless the stock market is following cryptos behavior and the drop was a correlation; I am not putting more money until I see more strength though.

Last edited:
•••

As part of a diversified portfolio, you would own domains, coins, metals, and ..
real estate.

•••
Re Google/voice nav replacing domains what about names shared by lots of companies? I think with voice search, mobile, Facebook's walled gardens, etc two word brandables have gained value (ex. Artdistro.com, my site :p) and generics (ex. Art.com) have lost some value.. The exception is where a company can realistically "own" a generic word (Uber, Stripe and Slack come to mind). Having said that, I've never sold a domain for a good profit so I probably have no idea of what I'm talking about haha

•••
I hope it wasn't hacked because most of my holdings are there... Anyways, I am seeing some strength with cryptos. While the Dow fell 1000 points yesterday, most of the coins maintained their price. Unless the stock market is following cryptos behavior and the drop was a correlation; I am not putting more money until I see more strength though.

Unless you are (day-/week-)trading I would not keep the coins on an exchange.

•••
Unless you are (day-/week-)trading I would not keep the coins on an exchange.
I keep mine on freebitco.in. They pay me an interest rate there.

As for how the down rate affects me? It actually also pays me more crypto when the price goes down, and since I have over 5000+ referrals, I make more now than when it is at 20K. The price per coin is not as much, but I already earned 0.6 coin from those referrals. I was thinking of just selling the account.

•••
Paul McCartney - The Pound Is Sinking

youtube.com/watch?v=XK9doTm8CH8

•••
I'm personally buying while the markets been down.
I'm all in on EOS coin...If it works out I'll probably never work another day in my life.
If not, at least I took a shot in something I believe in.

•••
I'm personally buying while the markets been down.
I'm all in on EOS coin...If it works out I'll probably never work another day in my life.
If not, at least I took a shot in something I believe in.

nice
just curious.. how much time do you give yourself to see / decide if it did or did not work out with eos?

•••
I'm looking at about 1.5 years from now. The platform goes live in June so I'm stocking up on coins now. If after a year or so from when it goes live it hasn't moved much I'd be shocked.
I've got a YT channel where I do shorter videos about crypto everyday called BlockSmarty if you're interested by the way :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back