NameSilo

discuss Stocks Down, Coins Down...Domains!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Today, here in the US we have seen the djia (stock market) drop as much as 1500 points! In the crypto market, we see Bitcoin today at just above 7k!

We are also seeing reports of increased domain auction and sales activity!

I think long term, domains will provide shelter that other investment vehicles just don't provide.

Call me crazy, but careful acquisition of quality domains seems much less risky!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You will get the answer, when you will know the ratio of .com and co.uk
The ratio means ZERO when the majority of people here are DO NOT type web addresses into browsers any more.

I REPEAT: Majority of people do not type web addresses into browsers any more. This is a fact,smartphone apps and google search bars are the way MOST people here in the UK navigate the web.

•••
things look real bad
govs getting too involved
its all over news
i predict total collapse
people think they have control
while having none

Same attitude of those who constantly think that because a stock is down ten it must fall twenty, or if down a hundred it must fall five hundred. Same attitude that gets inexperienced traders to place their buy orders at some arbitrary price below the current bid rather than buying when the time is right.

This type of thinking prevents opportunities.

“There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat.
And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.”

•••
Well I really do beg to differ,these changes are happening right now and have been going on for some time.

Google business/places listings are a huge game-changer for local businesses in competition with each other.

I am not sure where you are from,but .COM is certainly not the King here in the UK

Local business competes locally, online business competes globally. Both are not the same. For online business, you need good, memorable brand name to start compete from the ground up. Like I said, there is no way people can search a new start up website (NOT new niche, but a new website that is providing same services/products with company A, or B) on Google without diggggggggggging all the way down to the end of the search results. You need advertisements, lots of advertisement. But, how do people remember you if you have a strange name/domain if they need to comeback or recommend to their friends or family ? If you advertise on TV, you need people to at least able to memorize your brand/website/domain the first time or second or third time they see you. Google can't help you with that, because there are 1000s of others like you.

•••
Google loves that, but companies do not like that. They don't want google to randomly pick out a website. They want that same people that came before to comeback again, not to their competitor's website because google wants so. OK! They want users to type in their name on the browser, but they gotta have a name that is memorable right ?

The ratio means ZERO when the majority of people here are DO NOT type web addresses into browsers any more.

I REPEAT: Majority of people do not type web addresses into browsers any more. This is a fact,smartphone apps and google search bars are the way MOST people here in the UK navigate the web.

Last edited:
•••
Local business competes locally, online business competes globally. Both are not the same. For online business, you need good, memorable brand name to start compete from the ground up. Like I said, there is no way people can search a new start up website (NOT new niche, but a new website that is providing same services/products with company A, or B) on Google without diggggggggggging all the way down to the end of the search results. You need advertisements, lots of advertisement. But, how do people remember you if you have a strange name/domain if they need to comeback or recommend to their friends or family ? If you advertise on TV, you need people to at least able to memorize your brand/website/domain the first time or second or third time they see you. Google can't help you with that, because there are 1000s of others like you.
Some of what you say here is very correct,I think the point you missed in my post is that the fact the internet has changed a lot and still continues to change.
The domain name DOESN'T need to be the same name as the company name for it to be easily searchable,found and contacted online.

For instance,when searching online in the UK for the shop B & Q,google brings their site to the top of the list.

Their domain name is DIY.COM .

Yes,it's a VERY good domain name,but at the same time they could use ANY other domain name and still be at the top of google results when one searches for ''B & Q''

•••
Some of what you say here is very correct,I think the point you missed in my post is that the fact the internet has changed a lot and still continues to change.
The domain name DOESN'T need to be the same name as the company name for it to be easily searchable,found and contacted online.

For instance,when searching online in the UK for the shop B & Q,google brings their site to the top of the list.

Their domain name is DIY.COM .

Yes,it's a VERY good domain name,but at the same time they could use ANY other domain name and still be at the top of google results when one searches for ''B & Q''

Got ya!
But, "B&Q" is a keyword that Google favors DIY.COM for having done great job SEO for that keyword, but what if another company A has a better team of SEO ? Next time, when you type in "B&Q" DIY.com is nowhere to be found. In the end, you still need an memorable brand/domain

Last edited:
•••
What ever you type in the browser or a search bar to search for something, you are typing the KEYWORD. You need a strong SEO team if you need to rank on targeted keyword(s) . But, there is no strongest SEO TEAM, keep that in mind.

•••
Got ya!
But, "B&Q" is a keyword that Google favors DIY.COM for having done great job SEO for that keyword, but what if another company A has a better team of SEO ? Next time, when you type in "B&Q" DIY.com is nowhere to be found
Well It goes to show how important SEO really is,and the impact it makes.Keywords,keywords keywords are KEY,and so are regular updates/changes to a site.

But seen that there aren't many other companies called ''B & Q'' you should have no trouble finding it when typing into google,regardless of SEO.

•••
What ever you type in the browser or a search bar to search for something, you are typing the KEYWORD. You need a strong SEO team if you need to rank on targeted keyword(s) . But, there is no strongest SEO TEAM, keep that in mind.
But if you type the company name,you are bound to be shown their website? Regardless of what their domain name is!

•••
We have a good time to invest in crypto currency and its names because its temporary down..

•••
Same attitude of those who constantly think that because a stock is down ten it must fall twenty, or if down a hundred it must fall five hundred. Same attitude that gets inexperienced traders to place their buy orders at some arbitrary price below the current bid rather than buying when the time is right.

This type of thinking prevents opportunities.

“There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat.
And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.”

your not the first or the last who thinks they have some sort of control over where btc is now, or where it'll go in future. its the perfect illusion. or if you like quotes.. "the perfect slave is the one who thinks he's free"

the harsh truth is... btc was already born a slave... it lives as slave.. and it'll die as a slave.. and yuo never were or will be its master.

as always.. make some money while yuo can.. and get out while yuo're ahead. they don't like slaves becoming millionaires in this world much. its how how it works. the rest is an illusion. :)

•••
Unless your company is well developed, well known, and registered TM, if not, it is still remain a keyword that anybody can compete on Google

•••
You will get the answer, when you will know the ratio of .com and co.uk

I agree with you, in fact I see way more .ca addresses here in Canada than .com's.

I have 4 businesses and I only own the .com for two of them and in each case the .com forwards to .ca.

In fact even my domaining business uses the .ca because my target audience is mostly within Canada.

•••
BTC/Cryptos dead cat bounce

•••
Unless your company is well developed, well known, and registered TM, if not, it is still remain a keyword that anybody can compete on Google
You are wrong,I have a business that if my keywords are searched on google,my business comes up somewhere in the top 3 google business(usually first or second place but it varies) . If my company name is searched,I come up as Number 1 every time.(Regardless of my domain name)

•••
your company name is also a keyword or keyword phrase. If I will have to compete with you, I will use your company name as my targeted keyword or keywordphrase lol! but if you registered TM, i can't not use that phrase for same/similar service/product

Last edited:
•••
your company name is also a keyword or keyword phrase. If I will have to compete with you, I will your company name as my targeted keyword or keywordphrase lol! but if you registered TM, i can't not use that phrase for same/similar service/product
You could,but then I would take you to court!

•••
Stay on topic. I only have 15 minute break and the two of you are discussing google business. Start your own thread

•••
Stay on topic. I only have 15 minute break and the two of you are discussing google business. Start your own thread
Well you know what domainers are like, any excuse to go off topic!

•••
The "attack" on the cryptocurrencies is obviously a result of the meeting of "our" world leaders in Davos. If you look at the intensity of worldwide actions against cryptocurrencies after the Davos meeting this should be clear to any intelligent people - and I consider the namepros community intelligent! :xf.smile:

•••
And who thinks domains are a long term investment?

Personally I don't think so. I think in the end domains are not going to be necessary at all. I think in the end we will just say the business name and google maps will take us there. We will just type the name and the google SMART bar will take you there. We will just tell out car were we want to go and it will take us there.

I think domains are limited in their usefulness and eventually technology will render them unnecessary.

Do I like the idea of that? NO
Do I realize it's eventually coming? YES

When is the last time we used a phone book, a few years ago we would have thought Yellow Pages would live forever. It is already starting, google search can check your internet speed, convert your dollars, do your calculations, and hundreds more features.... all without ever leaving the google search screen. The day will come when your google listing will be more important than your website because it will be your google listing that gets ranked and not your website.

It saddens me to think about all of this but all this is coming
Look what happens when I type apple into the address bar....

Show attachment 79944

Eventually the info on the right will become more important than the info on the left.

It's happening already, we can deny it, but it is happening :'( :'( :'( :'(

You've got it backwards I'm happy to say! :) .. Now I'm not saying that at some point in the distant future domains won't be come obsolete .. but the truth is ...

Domains ARE the phone numbers (still very much a must 100 years later)

Google IS the phone book (no longer relevant today)

It might not seem like it .. but Google is in serious (long-term) trouble in terms of pure search. Live, auto-complete, auto-prediction interfaces will indeed take a huge bite out of search page results (their bread and butter for displaying ads).

But below all the search .. regardless of how people search and get their results .. those actual results still need addresses. Particularly when it comes to businesses. Obviously some types of data do not need an actual domain and could simply reside on IP addresses .. but there are a lot of reasons why domains will still be relevant .. mainly in terms of sales .. and trust/security.

Most importantly .. communication is still absolutely vital today and will be for quite some time. Email is here to stay for a very long time. In fact .. if anything is to ever replace phone numbers it will be you email address(es).

There was a short time when big corps could have started the slow process of usurping the need for domains (namely FACEBOOK) .. a few years ago quite a few startups launched only on Facebook and other social media. But with Facebook getting too greedy and placing too many barriers (and money) between their corporate users (pages/groups) and the users/fans of those businesses .. many businesses have now woken up to the fact they absolutely NEED their OWN online presence and address .. and cannot place the fate of their business in the hands of some communications giant.

Domains aren't going anywhere anytime soon. That being said .. how they are used could and likely will change quite a bit as interfaces change. Alexa, Siri, Google and the sort will certainly bring huge changes to how we connect with information and data .. but that information still needs to be found somewhere.

All that being said .. there certainly are possible changes that could affect value of domains. In the future these kinds of interfaces could diminish the importance of having a .com vs a ngTLD for example. But that's a different story ... ;)

•••
You've got it backwards I'm happy to say! :) .. Now I'm not saying that at some point in the distant future domains won't be come obsolete .. but the truth is ...

Domains ARE the phone numbers (still very much a must 100 years later)

Google IS the phone book (no longer relevant today)

It might not seem like it .. but Google is in serious (long-term) trouble in terms of pure search. Live, auto-complete, auto-prediction interfaces will indeed take a huge bite out of search page results (their bread and butter for displaying ads).

But below all the search .. regardless of how people search and get their results .. those actual results still need addresses. Particularly when it comes to businesses. Obviously some types of data do not need an actual domain and could simply reside on IP addresses .. but there are a lot of reasons why domains will still be relevant .. mainly in terms of sales .. and trust/security.

Most importantly .. communication is still absolutely vital today and will be for quite some time. Email is here to stay for a very long time. In fact .. if anything is to ever replace phone numbers it will be you email address(es).

There was a short time when big corps could have started the slow process of usurping the need for domains (namely FACEBOOK) .. a few years ago quite a few startups launched only on Facebook and other social media. But with Facebook getting too greedy and placing too many barriers (and money) between their corporate users (pages/groups) and the users/fans of those businesses .. many businesses have now woken up to the fact they absolutely NEED their OWN online presence and address .. and cannot place the fate of their business in the hands of some communications giant.

Domains aren't going anywhere anytime soon. That being said .. how they are used could and likely will change quite a bit as interfaces change. Alexa, Siri, Google and the sort will certainly bring huge changes to how we connect with information and data .. but that information still needs to be found somewhere.

All that being said .. there certainly are possible changes that could affect value of domains. In the future these kinds of interfaces could diminish the importance of having a .com vs a ngTLD for example. But that's a different story ... ;)

Yes agreed they still need addresses but it won't matter what the address is because google is already talking about not displaying addresses and mobile will lead here because in most apps the address is already gone. The mobile browsers will remove the entire address bar soon unless you call it up for some reason. So you say namePros and google takes you there. There is no address bar and you never see the address. Does not matter if its namepros5322244e.com because nobody sees it.

It's coming.....

•••
I will stick to DOMAINS for short, middle and long term for the rest of my life...
If Trump tweet some nonsense the Stocks go down in seconds. When the founders of bitcoin wake up in bad mood they just decided to manipulate the bitcoin value for no reason.

Your domains only gain Value with Time. That's a no brainer...

•••
I'm just for foreseeing the day when my grandchildren ask me.

Granddad was you involved in all that Crypto-Ponzi stuff ?
Except if you're invested in it, you're hoping to foresee "Grandad, what is this paper money/fiat stuff we learned about in History class today? BTW, can I have my Bit allowance please.."

•••
It's coming.....

Your 5 dots at the end make the impending doom even creepier! ;) lol

Seriously though .. I definitely do know what you're saying .. and as well agree it will have an influence and effect on the industry .. particularly combining non-visual interfaces (OKGoogle, alexa, siri) with an eventual critical mass of the general population "understanding" ngTLDs .. that combo will hurt lower-tier .com's

That being said .. I don't think the effect will be overly detrimental .. and I do think there will still be a demand for good domains for a multitude of other reasons (trust, authenticity, marketing, email, etc)

And that's what I have to say about that ...... (did you notice I have 6 dots there? lol) ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back