IT.COM

STATE OF THE NEW G'S

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

STATE OF THE NEW G'S - After nearly 3 years of the New G's, are they where they should be?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No, they remain behind schedule

votes
    58.1%
  • Yes, they are continuing to progress

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
The current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is good!...or is it?

After nearly 3 years into the introduction of New G's there remains:
* Very low 'End User' usage
* Very little aftermarket activity
* Declining inquiries
* Inconsistent registry changes affecting drops, renewals and pricing
* Little to none public awareness

In conclusion, the current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is not good.

(Disclaimer: I am a proponent and investor of New G's, but I tend to have a REALIST view of things)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well lets look at it like this.

Business.com vs Business.global

Business.com - purchase price: $150 000 (that was back in 1997) + 10 years renewal ( $100) that = $150 100 for total cost of ownership over 10 years.

Business.global - purchase price: $25 000 (in 2016) + 10 years renewal (.Global uses normal renewal even for premium domains - $60 on average) thats $600 = $25 600 for total cost of ownership for 10 years.

Business.com = $150 100
Business.global = $25 600

Why would you want to even compare Business.com to Business.global???
I would compare BusinessGlobal.com to Business.global

BusinessGlobal.com - 10x$15=$150 per decade
Business.Global - 10x$60=$600 per decade.

Hope you see my point :)

•••
.Net beats any nGTLD by a long shot IMO, and that's simply fell of a cliff. Logic would suggest that if nGTLD's were getting mind share with end users .Net would be rising instead of falling .

nGTLD's won't effect the ccTLD market whatsoever at any time in the future because they can never be clearer and more trustworthy than an extension that says we are from your country and more than likely local.

The other day I got an inbound offer on one of my .CO.UK domains which I countered. The end user rejected the counter so I messaged him back saying sorry I can't go any lower on the price and informed him he could register the .UK version for £1 at fasthosts. A few hours later he messaged me back accepting the counter offer. The .UK is still free to reg £xxx's cheaper. This tells me what I need to know!

I personally don't believe the state of the nGTLD market is good enough to invest in yet, but I hope I'm wrong so all of the folks who have can make good returns.

•••
Here's the issue...

We are domain investors debating something that is clear. Investing carries risk. Some less and some more, but clear risk.

Fact is, I watch reported sales every day, and most are .com by far.

It may take years for gTLD's to really catch on. I will say, it seems to be happening relatively quickly. It is almost impossible to predict exactly when or if.

In the final analysis, domain investing/collecting/flipping is about business. Run a good solid business and the extension doesn't matter.

Like any business, most domainers won't make it past 2 years. The ones that do, have obviously found a pattern of buying and selling that works.

Let me add a personal note. I carefully read and learn from those that have been doing this for a long time. People like Deez and Kate are probably just a notch below the top domainers we read about in the domain news. I respect the words of those like Kate that have been around this forum for 10+ years. I have found that their advice and experience are very insightful.

Good luck to everyone that has found their way to domain name investing. May the domain gods smile on you and may you reach all of your goals.

•••
Why would you want to even compare Business.com to Business.global???
I would compare BusinessGlobal.com to Business.global

BusinessGlobal.com - 10x$15=$150 per decade
Business.Global - 10x$60=$600 per decade.

Hope you see my point :)

Nope... you comparing a two word domain with a single word domain. So your comparison is not correct. I am also basing my figures on actual sales figures as per namebio... business.com sold for $150k and business.global sold for $25 000

•••
Here's the issue...

We are domain investors debating something that is clear. Investing carries risk. Some less and some more, but clear risk.

Fact is, I watch reported sales every day, and most are .com by far.

It may take years for gTLD's to really catch on. I will say, it seems to be happening relatively quickly. It is almost impossible to predict exactly when or if.

In the final analysis, domain investing/collecting/flipping is about business. Run a good solid business and the extension doesn't matter.

Like any business, most domainers won't make it past 2 years. The ones that do, have obviously found a pattern of buying and selling that works.

Let me add a personal note. I carefully read and learn from those that have been doing this for a long time. People like Deez and Kate are probably just a notch below the top domainers we read about in the domain news. I respect the words of those like Kate that have been around this forum for 10+ years. I have found that their advice and experience are very insightful.

Good luck to everyone that has found their way to domain name investing. May the domain gods smile on you and may you reach all of your goals.

Lol...well said mate, totally agree with you on everything...

Except: I'm by no means anywhere near as experienced as Kate when it comes to domaining. I'm highly flattered by you thinking I'm just a notch below some of the top domainers everyone reads about...thanks for that :) ...however, I consider myself to be a good few notches down...lol - I'm merely a student of life... I have solid experience in marketing and finding market trends as well finding patterns in data...but as you said, nobody knows for sure whats going to happen... only time will tell :) - I make no claims of KNOWING what the market will do.. lol

Last edited:
•••
Lol...well said mate, totally agree with you on everything...

Except: I'm by no means anywhere near as experienced as Kate when it comes to domaining. I'm highly flattered by you thinking I'm just a notch below some of the top domainers everyone reads about...thanks for that :) ...however, I consider myself to be a good few notches down...lol - I'm merely a student of life... I have solid experience in marketing and finding market trends as well finding patterns in data...but as you said, nobody knows for sure whats going to happen... only time will tell :)
What you think is "merely" is much more. :)

•••
History always repeats itself.

This time history is just on a larger scale....

It's right in front of your face.

You just have to open your eyes to see it.

•••
History always repeats itself.

This time history is just on a larger scale....

It's right in front of your face.

You just have to open your eyes to see it.
Eyes are open...
everything is ClearAs.Glass

•••
.Net beats any nGTLD by a long shot IMO, and that's simply fell of a cliff. Logic would suggest that if nGTLD's were getting mind share with end users .Net would be rising instead of falling .

nGTLD's won't effect the ccTLD market whatsoever at any time in the future because they can never be clearer and more trustworthy than an extension that says we are from your country and more than likely local.

The other day I got an inbound offer on one of my .CO.UK domains which I countered. The end user rejected the counter so I messaged him back saying sorry I can't go any lower on the price and informed him he could register the .UK version for £1 at fasthosts. A few hours later he messaged me back accepting the counter offer. The .UK is still free to reg £xxx's cheaper. This tells me what I need to know!

I personally don't believe the state of the nGTLD market is good enough to invest in yet, but I hope I'm wrong so all of the folks who have can make good returns.

if .uk doesn't make it .word won't either.

•••
Nope... you comparing a two word domain with a single word domain. So your comparison is not correct. I am also basing my figures on actual sales figures as per namebio... business.com sold for $150k and business.global sold for $25 000

BusinessGlobal.com is a 2 word domain.
I consider Business.Global a 2 word domain as well.

BusinessGlobal.com and Business.global use the exact same keywords after all. The only "advantage" Business.global may have over BusinessGlobal.com is that its 3 characters shorter. But if almost nobody knows it's a real URL then what do these 3 characters matter? I wonder what would happen if you would ask 100 random people in the street to go to the website "business dot global"? I have a feeling many of those will end up at either businessglobal.com or business.global.com.

Besides isn't that the whole point of most new gTLDs to start with? To find some keyword combination before and after the dot that makes sense? But in your example the right of the dot is conveniently left out so you can come to the conclusion that the one-word domain business.com will be more expensive.

The way I see it: Business.com is a truly premium domain, business.global however is as "premium" as BusinessGlobal.com would be. Anyone could have told you that an ultra premium domain such as business.com will always be more expensive (and valuable) compared to a domain such as Business.global, and this without looking at any sales data.

Imo Business.global should be compared to BusinessGlobal.com, and not Business.com. It would for example make little sense for a pizzeria business serving pizzas in a local town area to use a domain like Pizza.global.

So let's do the math using some actual namebio sales data:

BusinessGlobal.com vs Business.global

BusinessGlobal.com - purchase price: $3,688 (Sold in 2008) + 10 years renewal ( $90) = $3,778 for total cost of ownership for 10 years.

Business.global - purchase price: $25 000 (in 2016) + 10 years renewal (.Global uses normal renewal even for premium domains - $60 on average) thats $600 = $25 600 for total cost of ownership for 10 years.

BusinessGlobal.com = $3,778 (and with $9 yearly renewals from that point on)
Business.global = $25,600 (and with $60 yearly renewals from that point on)

If I was an end user I would know what domain I would take.

Last edited:
•••
Also Business.com is not worth $150k today. 7 figure domain.

business.com is expensive but it will increase advertising ROI and pay for itself over time.

Business.global will decrease ROI and will be more expensive over time. It is a liability not an asset.

Last edited:
•••

BusinessGlobal.com - purchase price: $3,688 (Sold in 2008) + 10 years renewal ( $90) = $3,778 for total cost of ownership for 10 years.

Yes, that would be the proper comparison..in this case the com is superior. Why? Business.Global simply doesn't make sense. However, in the com version, you can get away with it. This is one of the advantages of com; you can really do whatever you want with it.

Dropping 25k on business.global was silly, IMO. On the other hand, Global.Business, now we're talking. And this is what the G's are all about. Taking a domain name, combining the left and right of the dot, and making it make sense. The full domain name is the brand.

•••

You can be very successful without a good extension if you have a good product.

With a good domain you will always be more successful so the extension does matter.

•••
nTLDs offer more options for low-budget buyers who do not want to pay for an aftermarket domain.
They also offer newbies more ways to spend money on domains. Most domain buyers do not want to spend serious money on a domain name. Until that changes, the .COM vs nTLD discussion is irrelevant. What will it take for end users to take domain names seriously? They spend thousands of dollars on all kinds of normal business expenditures. What gives? Typical portfolio turn is in the low single digits - often less than 1% annually. How is that sustainable ?

•••
Kate says,
"I have often said that the rise of ccTLDs has nullified the case for new extensions"
What facts do you have to back this worn out assumption ?
Because I live in Europe, and I am in a good position to observe the European market(s).
Local extensions are dominant and often preferred to .com (but .com is OK too).

Please understand that I am not a 'commie' with blinders on, I invest in ccTLDs too.

Kate, with all due respect, "And always the same worn-out arguments"
"Majority of people are not familiar with them/don't understand them/don't trust them"
What facts do you have to back this worn out assumption ?
Just talk to real people, for example relatives, clients, coworkers. Show them some magazines where you see advertising for new extensions. Ask simple, neutral questions like:
  • What do you think ? Are they cool or not ?
  • Would you use one for your next business venture ?
  • What if we used one for our next campaign ?
  • etc
What I have observed so far is not downright hostility but indifference.
Some TLDs sure are silly, when I told a colleague that .lol is a real extension - he lolled. What he must be thinking is that those strings are funny but not for serious projects.

I would suggest the rise of ccTLDs +hacks has demonstrated the willingness to adopt anything other than a second rate crappy .com left over or an outrageous "Premium" .com out of reach for 80% of the market.
Domain hacks are not mainstream at all. More like gadgets. There are few well-know sites on domain hacks, and the most prominent ones have migrated to better names.
To clarify, when I talk about ccTLDs, I mean used in their natural markets, not as domains hacks

Anyone that is my age (20-25) and is just entering the domaining world understands the value in .coms but also realizes that for our generation its not whats going to be driving the domain markets further. NGTLD's are what people my age will be using and apart from the issue of name collisions this adoption, although many investors in .com may not want it to happen,
I've read this many times on NP. The young generation is supposedly going to drive the gTLD revolution.
How is that going to happen ? The popular sites that the young use today are all on .com or ccTLDs.
IMO it's wishful thinking, and not going to happen by magic.
If you have kids, ask them what they think.

To sum up in once sentence it could go like this:
"OK, new TLDs are not gaining much ground today, but there's hope so let's keep moving the goalposts and hope it will be alright".
Instead, the question I would be asking is why they aren't getting a warmer reception today and what would it take to change the situation.

If every ngtld had streamlined registration and renewal fees below $10, with no registry held premiums or registry held premiums in the sub 1k range with regular renewals, .com premiums would have devalued in price at an alarming rate because such immense price competition would create a huge correction in the values of premiums all across the board. This isn't the case in the current market but renewal costs and the prices of registry held premiums will continue to go down deep into the early 2020's for ngtlds.

This will be the death of .com IMHO...not now but in the coming future:
I think the argument is flawed to some extent. Because pricing isn't the single issue, TLDs are more than mere technical identifiers, they are brands. End users pay for brand recognition. Just like they will pay for shiny offices on Main Street, even though they could get equally functional offices on Slum Alley for a fraction of the price (you guess it: some potential customers are reluctant to go shopping on Slum Alley).

Nonetheless, many domains have been registered in new extensions for pennies.
I think that it's not business lost to domainers, because end users buying regfee domains had no intention to pay a premium anyway.
People always have options available if they want to avoid domainers. The supply of domain names is virtually infinite. Quality is scarce but it's relative too. Plenty of viable domains can still be found even in .com (and ccTLDs).
End user demand is always overestimated.

•••
BusinessGlobal.com is a 2 word domain.
I consider Business.Global a 2 word domain as well.

BusinessGlobal.com and Business.global use the exact same keywords after all. The only "advantage" Business.global may have over BusinessGlobal.com is that its 3 characters shorter. But if almost nobody knows it's a real URL then what do these 3 characters matter? I wonder what would happen if you would ask 100 random people in the street to go to the website "business dot global"? I have a feeling many of those will end up at either businessglobal.com or business.global.com.

Besides isn't that the whole point of most new gTLDs to start with? To find some keyword combination before and after the dot that makes sense? But in your example the right of the dot is conveniently left out so you can come to the conclusion that the one-word domain business.com will be more expensive.

The way I see it: Business.com is a truly premium domain, business.global however is as "premium" as BusinessGlobal.com would be. Anyone could have told you that an ultra premium domain such as business.com will always be more expensive (and valuable) compared to a domain such as Business.global, and this without looking at any sales data.

Imo Business.global should be compared to BusinessGlobal.com, and not Business.com. It would for example make little sense for a pizzeria business serving pizzas in a local town area to use a domain like Pizza.global.

I disagree with the comparison. One word left of the dot is one word left of the dot. There is no jump from Business.global and Business.com to BusinessGlobal.com.

One word one the left and one extension on the right. That's apples to apples. BusinessGlobal.global and BusinessGlobal.com would be comparable. I believe that's how most people would view it.

•••
BusinessGlobal.global is worth less than Business.global same as BusinessGlobal.com would be worth less than Business.com.

•••
new TLDs offer domain investors the feeling that they are going to get rich off their recent acquisitions. How much money are people willing to spend to get in shape, find a significant other or make a fortune? It is an illusion of course but that is what is being sold - the feeling that you can buy a domain for $50 and sell it for $5000. The problem is that most newbies multiple that $50 registration times 500 domains and renew them a few times before they realize that the 100 x cost sale is never going to happen.

•••
I disagree with the comparison. One word left of the dot is one word left of the dot. There is no jump from Business.global and Business.com to BusinessGlobal.com.

One word one the left and one extension on the right. That's apples to apples. BusinessGlobal.global and BusinessGlobal.com would be comparable. I believe that's how most people would view it.
I understand you see it like this but I doubt many people do. Like I said the whole point of the new gTLDs is to make a combination of keywords from the left and right of the dot that makes sense. Business.global makes little sense in this case.

Maybe someone should open a poll with the question how most of us perceive a domain such as Business.global. I think you will be surprised with the results.

BusinessGlobal.global is worth less than Business.global same as BusinessGlobal.com would be worth less than Business.com.

True. And imo businessGlobal.com would arguable be better (or at the very least have the same quality) compared to Business.global.

None of that however means that Business.global is comparable in any way to business.com just like ride.horse is not comparable to ride.com or car.racing cannot be compared to car.com. "Global" in the example is of course an extension but it is also considered a keyword that contributes to the total domain name. With .com however "com" is considered solely as the extension (with the exception of domain hacks such as "GetA.com").

Last edited:
•••
I understand you see it like this but I doubt many people do. Like I said the whole point of the new gTLDs is to make a combination of keywords from the left and right of the dot that makes sense. Business.global makes little sense in this case.

Maybe someone should open a poll with the question how most of us perceive a domain such as Business.global. I think you will be surprised with the results.

True. And imo businessGlobal.com would arguable be better (or at the very least have the same quality) compared to Business.global.

None of that however means that Business.global is comparable in any way to business.com just like ride.horse is not comparable to ride.com or car.racing cannot be compared to car.com. "Global" in the example is of course an extension but it is also considered a keyword that contributes to the total domain name. With .com however "com" is considered solely as the extension (with the exception of domain hacks such as "GetA.com").

Agreed

•••
Because I live in Europe, and I am in a good position to observe the European market(s).
Local extensions are dominant and often preferred to .com (but .com is OK too).

Please understand that I am not a 'commie' with blinders on, I invest in ccTLDs too.

Just talk to real people, for example relatives, clients, coworkers. Show them some magazines where you see advertising for new extensions. Ask simple, neutral questions like:
  • What do you think ? Are they cool or not ?
  • Would you use one for your next business venture ?
  • What if we used one for our next campaign ?
  • etc
What I have observed so far is not downright hostility but indifference.
Some TLDs sure are silly, when I told a colleague that .lol is a real extension - he lolled. What he must be thinking is that those strings are funny but not for serious projects.

Domain hacks are not mainstream at all. More like gadgets. There are few well-know sites on domain hacks, and the most prominent ones have migrated to better names.
To clarify, when I talk about ccTLDs, I mean used in their natural markets, not as domains hacks

I've read this many times on NP. The young generation is supposedly going to drive the gTLD revolution.
How is that going to happen ? The popular sites that the young use today are all on .com or ccTLDs.
IMO it's wishful thinking, and not going to happen by magic.
If you have kids, ask them what they think.

To sum up in once sentence it could go like this:
"OK, new TLDs are not gaining much ground today, but there's hope so let's keep moving the goalposts and hope it will be alright".
Instead, the question I would be asking is why they aren't getting a warmer reception today and what would it take to change the situation.

I think the argument is flawed to some extent. Because pricing isn't the single issue, TLDs are more than mere technical identifiers, they are brands. End users pay for brand recognition. Just like they will pay for shiny offices on Main Street, even though they could get equally functional offices on Slum Alley for a fraction of the price (you guess it: some potential customers are reluctant to go shopping on Slum Alley).

Nonetheless, many domains have been registered in new extensions for pennies.
I think that it's not business lost to domainers, because end users buying regfee domains had no intention to pay a premium anyway.
People always have options available if they want to avoid domainers. The supply of domain names is virtually infinite. Quality is scarce but it's relative too. Plenty of viable domains can still be found even in .com (and ccTLDs).
End user demand is always overestimated.

The bus has already left the station. Price Arbitrage for ngtlds vs .com has already began, its ok for you not to agree with me and I highly respect your opinon @Kate, but there is an entire market of domainers doing deals you have no idea about. I'd tell you more about them, but that would be a breach of rules as you cannot refer to another domain forum. Things are changing a lot faster than you think. We are past the hypothetical and into the real.

•••
a real market can not be kept secret. sure there are NDAs etc. but you can't hide it. Registries are very eager to publish sales. They need to if they want so survive.

if there is something happening it will show in the sales report.

•••
and @Adam27 will keep us updated on the sales reports (y)

is this other forum you refer to on a .com @slader23 ? :laugh:

•••
a real market can not be kept secret. sure there are NDAs etc. but you can't hide it. Registries are very eager to publish sales. They need to if they want so survive.

if there is something happening it will show in the sales report.

That isn't true.
and @Adam27 will keep us updated on the sales reports (y)

is this other forum you refer to on a .com @slader23 ? :laugh:
Nope, it's a .link because it the link to all things ngtld.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back