IT.COM

.biz Starting business on .biz when similar company exists on .com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What do you think about setting up a business on a domain with .biz extension when a competing company already uses the same domain but with .com extension?

Has any one got any examples of people who have tried this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
No tradmark problems, their generic terms that describe the business. For example laptops.com and laptops.biz.

•••
Personally I think it is a great idea and I think you will see it soon become the wave of the future. I have seen many televised advertisements for www.blahblah.biz lately on network and cable tv. Big companies are advertising these .biz sites. However I see the drop lists and right now (not including com) biz is by far the most dropped domain name. This leads to some very good buys for the savvy domain buyer. It is a jungle out there.

•••
If you are number one or two in your industry, you risk sending some of your traffic to the com/net heirarchy above you. Otherwise, just like any land based business, there is room for many players. Think of it like a Pizza shop. Every town probably has a single best traffic place to put a pizza shop with one doing well there. However, there are pizza shops all over town that do good business and survive if they find a niche and serve it well. The .biz is kind of like the neighborhood pizza shop that couldn't get or afford a location on the main drag of town, but still can successfully do business.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
If you are number one or two in your industry, you risk sending some of your traffic to the com/net heirarchy above you.

Ahh, the old leakage theory, the crutch that people use to continue to justify the inflated value of good ol .COM.

The Internet is starting to mature, and people are getting a whole lot more savvy about things like this. Behind every URL is an expectation, so develop your .BIZ name well. If the .COM is in PPC limbo, you will always win in the mid-long term. If the .COM is noticeably better than what you can offer, then let me tell you goodbye. doesn't mean forever.

•••
mole said:
Ahh, the old leakage theory, the crutch that people use to continue to justify the inflated value of good ol .COM.

That was my point. Most sites don't need to worry about no having the almighty .com. Particularly for very broad markets and very generic domains. Search engines and worthy content are fare more valuable than just having the .com TLD for type-ins and prestige.

•••
i think it is probably ok, just make sure you incorporate the .biz into your website, so that people remember, and you dont lose much traffic to the .com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back