IT.COM

discuss Starting a domaining blog. Good idea?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Hi guys...

I have been involved in domaining for over 6 years now(on and off in between). Over the years, I have bought 1 or 2 domains from the aftermarket. All the others were hand registered for all these years. Having written a guide on domaining and been exposed to multiple deals, failures, success and sales within an hour of hand registration, I am thinking of starting a blog.

Here are some of the important questions before I decide to dedicate a number of hours on this:

1) The kind of ROI in terms of advertisement?
2) What kind of content and frequency of the content should I focus on?
3) Is it worth the time invested?
4) The value that I get as a domain name blogger?

I am looking forward to your inputs before I decide for or against this option.

Any inputs from your side including criticism is appreciated. In fact, the blunt, the better!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Do you mean if you were to advertise your website or are you asking about how much revenue you would earn through ads?

2) What kind of content and frequency of the content should I focus on?

It seems like most people are interested in hearing about recent sales, and news type topics related to domaining. There are already quite a few domaining websites that cover this on a weekly basis though.

Really depends on how you plan to monetize it or use it as a platform to market other services to domainers.

4) The value that I get as a domain name blogger?

By being a domain blogger you would always be up to date on various domaining trends, which could help keep you ahead of the curve

If your main goal was to do this to earn ad revenue from the blog, I would look elsewhere as there are far more profitable niches to get into. Simply putting up some Google Adsense ads on a domaining blog will not bring in much money.

It could be worth your time financially if you were using a domaining blog to promote your own domain services, like if you had domaining software that other domainers might want to buy.

•••
This is my take on this:

- Do it if you really enjoy domaining and writing about it. You should also be willing to spend an hour a day with it (or so). If your content is unique, interesting and well-written you will probably get visitors. Sooner or later.

- Don’t do it if the main reason is to monetize on the blog. There are a billion blogs out there and the vast majority will never make a profit.

•••
This is my take on this:

- Do it if you really enjoy domaining and writing about it. You should also be willing to spend an hour a day with it (or so). If your content is unique, interesting and well-written you will probably get visitors. Sooner or later.

- Don’t do it if the main reason is to monetize on the blog. There are a billion blogs out there and the vast majority will never make a profit.

Exactly.

•••

Do you mean if you were to advertise your website or are you asking about how much revenue you would earn through ads?

Through sponsored advertisements.

Really depends on how you plan to monetize it or use it as a platform to market other services to domainers.

What kind of service do you think domainers would be interested in?

If your main goal was to do this to earn ad revenue from the blog, I would look elsewhere as there are far more profitable niches to get into. Simply putting up some Google Adsense ads on a domaining blog will not bring in much money.

Suggest me some of those niches if you can! The ones that can be monetized through adsense and also has good number of sponsored advertisers.

•••
Any more advice people? I am looking forward to your inputs

•••
I can tell you for a fact that most domain bloggers really don't make anything close to enough money to justify the time and effort. I still haven't looked for official sponsors for NameCult yet, but I can tell you most people just don't bother using your links.

Heck .. I get about 100 people per day viewing my auctions list here at NamePros and I invite you to go look to see how many each day even bother to do the basic minimum by clicking "like" or "thanks"! lol .. It's pretty sad. I started doing it more to learn myself. I also go through the list myself for my own domains .. but there are times when I really feel that I should forget the blog and focus on my own portfolio. I've already made multiple $xxxx sales in 2019 combined for vastly more than I make with the blog.

My advice to you is definitely do it if you enjoy writing and sharing information .. also do it if you want to slowly grow your reputation in the industry for the very long term .. but don't do it if your primary reason is money .. it just isn't there for most of us.

•••
@Ategy.com Looks like a genuine advice. I do enjoy writing. But if it comes with a tangible benefit along with the intangible one, that's a good motivator. Hence, I asked!
I'll just look into Namecult since you mentioned it!!

•••
I think the space is saturated, many people are blogging about domain names but I follow very few blogs because they are redundant.
You'd have to offer something different. For example, the sales are reported at various places, but most of the time it's only the depth and presentation that are different across sites.
I like opinion pieces though :)
Just don't expect to make a living out of it.

•••
I think the space is saturated, many people are blogging about domain names but I follow very few blogs because they are redundant.
You'd have to offer something different. For example, the sales are reported at various places, but most of the time it's only the depth and presentation that are different across sites.
I like opinion pieces though :)
Just don't expect to make a living out of it.

That's good to know. I realize what people are looking forward to. At the same time, I have to evaluate if I will be able to generate that kind of content repeatedly and for a long time, before I make a decision

•••
I would agree with those who say only do it because you are passionate and like it, not for monetary reward.

Also, I would say only consider it if you are clear on how it will be different from existing blogs. That is the key initial thing I would say is decide on your inique viewpoint.

While as has been said there are already many blogs, another passionate voice with a unique style and voice would add to the active and vibrant domain community.

I think integrating blog activity with activity on at least one social media platform (Twitter or LinkedIn for example) helps a lot with getting noticed.

Bob

•••
Hi guys...
Any inputs from your side including criticism is appreciated. In fact, the blunt, the better!

All right, as an advocate of entrepreneurism and competition I'll toss these questions as input,
non - criticisms, but sincere questions out there:

What do you bring to the domain blogging table that a hundred and one other bloggers leave off the table;

What is your domain expertise or specialties;

In your mini- bio or " about you " section of your domain blog, what is your domain resume, what is your domain vita, what are your accomplishments / achievements that you will highlight to your readers;

Final question - what will distinguish your blog from all the others?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back