Dynadot

news Spanish police raid .Cat domain name registry offices

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As reported on DomainIncite and InternetNews.me overnight U.S. time, Spanish police have raided the offices of Fundació puntCAT, the registry operator for the .cat domain name.
DJ9I7p1WAAIXv75.jpg
There are over 100,000 .cat domain names registered. The ongoing operations should not be affected because puntCAT uses a third-party registry services provider, and because of the distributed nature of DNS. However, if certain domains are deleted or blocked, this could propagate across DNS...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In our opinion, .cat domain name extension should have never seen the light of day.

•••
This is what happens when you let the .cat out of the .bag :rolleyes:

•••
Perhaps too much pussy for cat domains.

•••
People making fun about internet censorship don't realize that sooner or later they will be the next in line affected by such actions.
VERY SAD!

•••
People making fun about internet censorship don't realize that sooner or later they will be the next in line affected by such actions.
VERY SAD!
Perhaps some illegal content rather than just censorship.

•••
•••
Ok i was unaware the fact of the politics if you cant get to the booths then you cannot vote.

Last edited:
•••
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/...iticized_over_catalan_internet_registry_raid/

But, under the terms of its agreement with ICANN, PuntoCat is obliged to respect court orders from both the government of Spain and the government of Andorra. While many are angered by the court's order to take down .cat domains that carry information on the referendum, it is a legitimate court order.

Governments are extremely sensitive to geographic regions being represented online and in a recent expansion of the internet's name space, such geography-based top-level domains were given special protections: governments were allowed to block specific dot-names if they referred to physical places (the most controversial example of which has been the fight over .amazon

Ok, get a .horse!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back