Dynadot

discuss Spain/Catalonia .CAT extension, etc.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
https://www.opendemocracy.net/digit...n-and-digital-resistance-in-catalanreferendum

https://globalvoices.org/2017/10/13...der-fire-in-catalonias-push-for-independence/

To start, this is not a political thread, nor debate the merits of independence pro or con. Spain is #14 in the world nominal GDP, close in output to Australia, Canada, Russia, and Korea. Catalonia itself has like 25% of the entire country GDP.

The reason I am posting it is to discuss individual net access freedoms and if any of NP members or know if spanish citizens used mirrored sites in .Net, .Com or .Org instead to get around the censorship. And if not, why not.? Did access within Spain get censored to those mirrored non .ES or .CAT sites? Were VPN’s necessary? Were they working and effective? During the attempted vote, Were whatsapp communications and wifi access blocked?

The CAT extension was shut off and the CTO was arrested for sedition, and the offices of the registry was closed down. So, it seems logical for spanish citizens Registering non EU based domains rather in worldwide domains seem like a logical choice to maintain freedom of speech- versus a ccTld being censored. As it seems a fair and easy way to exert more self control with an international domain and outside of the Govt influencing facebook or twitter with restrictions and their new censoring.

I have been attempting to watch and trying to keep up with the situation in Madrid and Catalonia. Its been very difficult since most mainstream english speaking news except BBC and Bloomberg, have virtually ignored this situation, no adequate coverage imo. This is an important world event unfolding still as we speak.

Twitter videos I found today are certainly really violent the way the police handled people simply trying to vote.

Any comments about websites and domain names being used currently and or or on the ground accounts by anyone in Barcelona, Girona, etc. about this major event would be appreciated.
Se habla español tambien, y usted no prefiero escribir en ingles PM me porque los moderators no permiteron conversamos en español.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back