IT.COM

debate Sources of traffic for new gTLD domain names.

NameSilo
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
So the question here is simple : can you share your opinion about sources of traffic for new gTLD domain names?

To elaborate more why I ask: if it is popular 1 worder in .com, I can imagine that people simply type the subject they are interested in, and add .com at the end of it (as they suspect in many cases this is the most probable option to get to their desired website).

But there are also some new gTLD names, which are parked/undeveloped, and still getting dozens of visitors daily, and hundreds/thousands of visitors per month. For example, I recently drop-catched one of those new gTLD domains, and I simply do not understand how is this possible...

Do you have some experience/examples/wiews about this which you can share? Thank you :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sometimes I wonder if it isn't the registries themselves doing some sort of fake traffic.., just to get us to renew. I've got domains on Sedo for example that get all these visits, month after month, yet no offers. And then I'll have a domain on that never receives a visit, and sells. I think if they are legitimate sources, it is either from results on the platform, or direct type-ins from savvy end users, or knowledgeable fellow domainers.

Doesn't matter to me either way, I don't renew/invest in new G's based on traffic, because it just takes one great match to what a buyer is searching for, to connect and make that sale.

•••
Sometimes I wonder if it isn't the registries themselves doing some sort of fake traffic.., just to get us to renew. I've got domains on Sedo for example that get all these visits, month after month, yet no offers. And then I'll have a domain on that never receives a visit, and sells. I think if they are legitimate sources, it is either from results on the platform, or direct type-ins from savvy end users, or knowledgeable fellow domainers.

Doesn't matter to me either way, I don't renew/invest in new G's based on traffic, because it just takes one great match to what a buyer is searching for, to connect and make that sale.
Lol, I personally do not think registries are behing it.

But I otherwise agree with you, as I am also looking basically only for semantic quality of the names, not a traffic. So I was taken by surprise to learn that one of the names I got recently is getting so much traffic.

Had parked it on dan.com for few days, but after I saw stats yesterday I switched to bodis.com, to see if it will actually get some clicks as well (aka sweet revenue) :)
I will be wiser in a month or so.

•••
Public data scraping service providers bypassing captchas & robot instructions (not harvesting, just per client's request - mostly big corporations). They provide the cutting edge bots and pipes to scrape publicly available data. Usually, the DSSP price starting from 50k. The DSSP is very serious business. Even GD is associated with using external third-party DSS providers.

•••
•••
Put up a page and analytics will show you where: referral, direct, organic, search, social or other.

•••
Public data scraping service providers bypassing captchas & robot instructions (not harvesting, just per client's request - mostly big corporations). They provide the cutting edge bots and pipes to scrape publicly available data. Usually, the DSSP price starting from 50k. The DSSP is very serious business. Even GD is associated with using external third-party DSS providers.
Wonderful. So, to sum it up.. huh??

•••
DSSP - short for data scraping service provider.

Most (cheaper) data scraping bots are controller based (vs info-sec) => behavior, relationship, service identifier, generic word/s faults etc / looking at the difference between name <> dot extension, event notifications receiver (DNS modification, price fluctuation, intermediaries, ultimate visitor IP destination, etc). In essence can collect and inspect a single request message or the entire contest.

To sum it up = intelligent, enterprise-grade bots, machine learning, ...

•••
Any other ideas?

For example, nowdays in many phones, when you put a dot between left and right keyword (just by accident), and right keyword happens to be a new gTLD extension, it will create automatic link to that domain name.

So if the name is parked, it can receive such traffic. But not sure if that can explain really the traffic some domain names are getting :)

•••
This thread just makes me think about how someday there will be a lot more nTLDS, and having the "two words spanning the dot" will be considered premium, even better than .com. Isn't a day not far when 99% of what people search for can be handled with a couple thousand TLDS?

•••
mostly bots.. if you put a page up, they will come..

•••
Well, I am not so sure about the bots...or do they also do clicks ?
The domain name I test is starting to earn some revenue ... it probably will be one of those new gTLD domain names which will nicely pay for their renewal fee :) I will know more in few days.

•••
This thread just makes me think about how someday there will be a lot more nTLDS, and having the "two words spanning the dot" will be considered premium, even better than .com. Isn't a day not far when 99% of what people search for can be handled with a couple thousand TLDS?
For 1 worders, .com will be here for a very very long time, imo, because it is simply here for decades and people are used to it.

But when it come to 2 worders, I personally think new gTLDs will rule (in future)...it is logical...consider this example:

I own name:
dream.property

and others can own names like
dreamproperty.co.uk,
dreamproperty.com,
dreamproperty.de,
dreamproperty.fr,
dreamproperty.net,
dreamproperty.whateversuffix (where whateversuffix belongs to set of hundreds of available ccTLDs)...

Dream.Property is simply better, because it is:
a) shorter
b) does not limit you from geo point of view

But who knows ...:)

•••
I'd say property.cctld would be a lot better, property.co.uk and all these similar work and dream isn't a great word to affix with it.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I am not so sure about the bots...or do they also do clicks ?
Yes. Some bots can execute Javascript on pages and follow links.

Regards...jmcc

•••
For 1 worders, .com will be here for a very very long time, imo, because it is simply here for decades and people are used to it.

But when it come to 2 worders, I personally think new gTLDs will rule (in future)...
Exacto-mundo (y)

.. guess we didn't stay on click-speak too long, did we? :) and yes your dream.property is a beaut, exactly what a G' should be, and where .coms are headed.

•••
Some of the older auto submit software won't work with new gtlds but you will find you can still rank a site fast.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back