Domain Empire

discuss Something Estibot does right, registrars need the same!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Picture0002.png

I was trying to look at the value of some 3 word .com's and thought I would punch in a popular website into Estibot to see what the potential value would be. I punched in PlentyofFish.com and immediately got a trademark notice.

That got me to thinking about how much money we could save newer members in registration fees if there was a registrar that did similar. So instead of blindly registering amazon or google domains a newbie would immediately see that resale is limited because of a trademark.

Personally I think all registrars should do this and someone needs to get the ball rolling.

I was trying to think who the best person to contact would be..... guess who immediately came to mind?

@Rob Monster / Epik

Rob is definitely the most forward thinking guy when it comes to new products.

I would love his opinion on this.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Show attachment 130228

I was trying to look at the value of some 3 word .com's and thought I would punch in a popular website into Estibot to see what the potential value would be. I punched in PlentyofFish.com and immediately got a trademark notice.

That got me to thinking about how much money we could save newer members in registration fees if there was a registrar that did similar. So instead of blindly registering amazon or google domains a newbie would immediately see that resale is limited because of a trademark.

Personally I think all registrars should do this and someone needs to get the ball rolling.

I was trying to think who the best person to contact would be..... guess who immediately came to mind?

@Rob Monster / Epik

Rob is definitely the most forward thinking guy when it comes to new products.

I would love his opinion on this.
I think there's a great opportunity there for someone like Epik or Legal Zoom for that matter, to generate income by making their trademark programs available. I know I've trademarked names four times myself, with the last one being 9Time™. If you think you own a real good domain, I would trademark it for it's intended use. It would add a lot more value to the domain than the cost of doing it imho

•••
I think there's a great opportunity there for someone like Epik or Legal Zoom for that matter, to generate income by making their trademark programs available. I know I've trademarked names four times myself, with the last one being 9Time™. If you think you own a real good domain, I would trademark it for it's intended use. It would add a lot more value to the domain than the cost of doing it imho
So, just out of interest, can you give me a ballpark figure on what sort of $ that costs? And what geographical region do you TM it for?

•••
So, just out of interest, can you give me a ballpark figure on what sort of $ that costs? And what geographical region do you TM it for?

Sure...no problem. The approximate out of pocket cost for a registered® trademark in the US is $500 and since it's the USPTO, with US standing for United States, the geographical region is the United States. I hope this helps, but you can read more about it online.

•••
Sure...no problem. The approximate out of pocket cost for a registered® trademark in the US is $500 and since it's the USPTO, with US standing for United States, the geographical region is the United States. I hope this helps, but you can read more about it online.
Great, thanks for that. So you don't care about coverage outside the US then - you see your main market for those domains as the US?... Thx

•••
Great, thanks for that. So you don't care about coverage outside the US then - you see your main market for those domains as the US?... Thx
Actually I was really surprised this evening when I accessed "TESS" Trademark Electronic Search System, and discovered the following;

9Time

Word Mark
9TIME
Goods and Services IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: The Game of Golf to include the name itself as a new game, to sell golf equipment, golf memberships, golf instruction and golf services
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code
(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 88597344
Filing Date August 29, 2019
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Morris, Richard INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 2012 Blueberry Road Virginia Beach VIRGINIA 234511607
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

To answer your question about coverage outside the US, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. You can't ever prepare for every potential hurdle you need to clear down the road, and any effort to do so is an exercise in futility imho:xf.wink:

•••
To answer your question about coverage outside the US, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. You can't ever prepare for every potential hurdle you need to clear down the road, and any effort to do so is an exercise in futility imho:xf.wink:
Thanks. Yep - fair enough. Even having a TM for it in the US you're no doubt more prepared than 99% of other domainers. It's really not something I've looked at yet. Maybe down the track, though I'm sure it's going to take a bit of research so that's for another day!...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back