domains Someone needs to stop Roy Flanders’ domain names from expiring

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Hopefully Enom or someone else can step up but the domains of a domain investor who passed away are expiring and it needs to stop. Ron Jackson wrote about Roy Flanders back in December of 2016. sadly Roy passed away. I did not know the man personally but for those that did he seemed to be really a great guy. In 2012 he donated $250,000 to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital's Annual Fund. It was a … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone knew him personally that can reach out to the family?

•••
Anyone knew him personally that can reach out to the family?

I contacted @Ron Jackson he knew him along with some other prominent domain investors.

GreatNames.com closed at $25,000 yesterday on godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Interesting thread. So if any Namepros member dies and his family even not know about his domain portfolio.. what a sad story will be.

I thing that's a big cons of domaining.

•••
As mentioned in Ron's article, Roy died from a long illness. So surely he would have made arrangements for these to be looked after, if he didn't maybe it was his wish for them to go back into the pool...?

•••
echecking.com was another one of his names which sold for $1,325.

•••
Ron Jackson let me know that three of Roy's best friends in the business, Rob Grant, Ammar Kubba and Ari Goldberger are all working on this now.

•••
•••
Interesting thread. So if any Namepros member dies and his family even not know about his domain portfolio.. what a sad story will be.

I thing that's a big cons of domaining.
my wife also doesn't understand what I have been doing day after another...

so i worried if someday i .....

•••
Ron Jackson let me know that three of Roy's best friends in the business, Rob Grant, Ammar Kubba and Ari Goldberger are all working on this now.
Aiming for what outcome? They can't just stay in a man's account forever when he's sadly died.

•••
The thing about domains is that they are not a turn key asset like gold or cash or even real estate, assuming they are good names in the first place, they become either a lump of coal or a diamond depending on whose hands they are left in.

Last edited:
•••
Aiming for what outcome? They can't just stay in a man's account forever when he's sadly died.

What??? He has a daughter, they will get the account under control, get names renewed and can talk to her how she can liquidate and have the money go to her instead of GoDaddy. Pretty sure he would have rather had his daughter get the proceeds from GreatNames.com and echecking.com yesterday.

There are about 6 other people working on this now as well.

•••
What??? He has a daughter, they will get the account under control, get names renewed and can talk to her how she can liquidate and have the money go to her instead of GoDaddy. Pretty sure he would have rather had his daughter get the proceeds from GreatNames.com and echecking.com yesterday.

There are about 6 other people working on this now as well.
No need to be aghast. I'm just expressing a healthy bit of scepticism about people's intentions online which is pretty called for being how eager this seems and how you've just replied.

Who is to say that he wanted vultures to liquidate his domains for him? That's basically the question I'm asking. His wishes may have been to just let them go.

•••
No need to be aghast. I'm just expressing a healthy bit of scepticism about people's intentions online which is pretty called for being how eager this seems and how you've just replied.

Who is to say that he wanted vultures to liquidate his domains for him? That's basically the question I'm asking. His wishes may have been to just let them go.

Vultures? It would be his daughter liquidating and benefiting from the sales, much better option than GoDaddy benefiting. And actually no he did not want to let them just expire, turns out he had set something up with DomainGuardians and Mike Robertson posted he is on the case now and contacting the daughter as well.

•••
Domains are no different from real estate, if you die and don't pay property tax then the city resells the property.

You must assure someone looks after your interests once you are gone.

There are two types of people....

Realists and Deniers

Deniers think they will live forever so they never bother making out a will.

Realists will either make out a will or might not care what happens after they are gone because they're not a part of it so who cares.

All in all, especially when a long illness is involved, we might be reading too much into it. I had a well to do friend and he left no will or instructions of any kind. We chatted about it once and he said exactly that...

Why do I care, I won't be around to see it.

Shrug-Emoji.jpg

•••
Domains are no different from real estate, if you die and don't pay property tax then the city resells the property.

You must assure someone looks after your interests once you are gone.

There are two types of people....

Realists and Deniers

Deniers think they will live forever so they never bother making out a will.

Realists will either make out a will or might not care what happens after they are gone because they're not a part of it so who cares.

All in all, especially when a long illness is involved, we might be reading too much into it. I had a well to do friend and he left no will or instructions of any kind. We chatted about it once and he said exactly that...

Why do I care, I won't be around to see it.

Show attachment 119560

Very true, but what it looks like Maple is that Roy did have a plan, and it was with DomainGuardians which now looks defunct, just says go to Evergreen,

Mike Robertson and Jen Sale started DomainGuardians, Evergreen is Adam Strong and Jen Sale now.

Brian Wick who knew Roy and did business with him, wrote:

brian wick says May 21, 2019 at 9:32 am (Edit)

Mike Robertson
Is a guy I knew years back who had some kind of Domain Protection Service that Roy Flanders told me he was using. I am not aware of the details of the contract or how those details needed to be fulfilled. He may be the guy that has some kind of control of those domains provided the obligations of whatever arrangement was made are cured. And if Roys daughter got involved – WHO KNOWS ……..
I have emailed Mike Robertson at this email address
Bri

•••
Vultures? It would be his daughter liquidating and benefiting from the sales, much better option than GoDaddy benefiting. And actually no he did not want to let them just expire, turns out he had set something up with DomainGuardians and Mike Robertson posted he is on the case now and contacting the daughter as well.
Yes I said vultures, but that's the worse case scenario. I'm not assuming anyone is being a vulture, but assuming they want to liquidate their names is a little bit vulture esque in light of a fairly healthy looking $25k sale. Which is why I was asking the question in the first place what the intentions were.

One shouldn't aim to just flog all of his names just because a name of his sold for $25k etc in a specific scenario, this may well also be against his wishes. That would probably be bad advice and opportunistic of whoever the receiver of the names ends up being. The advice would need to be appropriate and truthful to make sure that the beneficiary (whoever that may be, assumptions again) isn't getting a raw deal due to lack of knowledge in this area.

•••
Yes I said vultures, but that's the worse case scenario. I'm not assuming anyone is being a vulture, but assuming they want to liquidate their names is a little bit vulture esque in light of a fairly healthy looking $25k sale. Which is why I was asking the question in the first place what the intentions were.

One shouldn't aim to just flog all of his names just because a name of his sold for $25k etc in a specific scenario, this may well also be against his wishes. That would probably be bad advice and opportunistic of whoever the receiver of the names ends up being. The advice would need to be appropriate and truthful to make sure that the beneficiary (whoever that may be, assumptions again) isn't getting a raw deal due to lack of knowledge in this area.

Right they don't have to be liquidated, my point was that the daughter, who I don't know, might not have the financial wherewithal to renew 3,400 domain names, and that Ari who is a trusted domain lawyer could help her to liquidate some names to meet renewals or look I am sure there might be some garbage that is worth dropping. GreatNames.com and echecking.com were not, so I believe if Ari had said you need to spend $20 and renew these two names, and here is why, she would have done that.

•••
Right they don't have to be liquidated, my point was that the daughter, who I don't know, might not have the financial wherewithal to renew 3,400 domain names, and that Ari who is a trusted domain lawyer could help her to liquidate some names to meet renewals or look I am sure there might be some garbage that is worth dropping. GreatNames.com and echecking.com were not, so I believe if Ari had said you need to spend $20 and renew these two names, and here is why, she would have done that.
It sounds like you have noble enough intentions and I'm glad about that. Hopefully whoever is in control of the names can renew them if they want as a result, or not as the case may be.

Sounds like the guy wasn't short of money, what with him being able to donate such a huge sum to charity. Maybe $25k is a drop in the ocean to his family :pompous:.

Does domainiq reveal a load of garbage or are there a lot of prime looking names in there?

Last edited:
•••
Very true, but what it looks like Maple is that Roy did have a plan, and it was with DomainGuardians which now looks defunct, just says go to Evergreen, Mike Robertson and Jen Sale started DomainGuardians, Evergreen is Adam Strong and Jen Sale now.

Where did you come up with this ? If Roy had a plan it was not with Domain Guardians.

•••

So, daughter would be liquidating.. and getting profits instead of GD. Ok. So to whom would these domains be liquidated to? Who determines that? Would it just be a lucky few getting access to these high-quality domains at rock-bottom prices?

The expiration process gives all a fair opportunity. I don't think it would be wise to mess with that.

I don't know the man either, but I'm sure we've all had our great moments doing something great for others, however there doesn't seem to be anything nefarious about passing away and letting the domains run the legitimate expiration course.

If there was a continuation method in place, such as a family member having access to accounts or another entity taking over, than of course that option must be explored, however barring that we can't just stop names from being expired, even if the man didn't want them to be.

•••
•••
So, daughter would be liquidating.. and getting profits instead of GD. Ok. So to whom would these domains be liquidated to? Who determines that? Would it just be a lucky few getting access to these high-quality domains at rock-bottom prices?

The expiration process gives all a fair opportunity. I don't think it would be wise to mess with that.

I don't know the man either, but I'm sure we've all had our great moments doing something great for others, however there doesn't seem to be anything nefarious about passing away and letting the domains run the legitimate expiration course.

If there was a continuation method in place, such as a family member having access to accounts or another entity taking over, than of course that option must be explored, however barring that we can't just stop names from being expired, even if the man didn't want them to be.

All of these names are not expired, Ari and Rob Grant will try to work with Roy's daughter to get them renewed, if some have to be sold to pay for renewals that will be the daughter's choice.

•••
•••
Back