Dynadot

discuss Some Say; "Good Domains Sell Themseves"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Since I became a member of Namepros just four months ago, I've heard several members say; "Good Domains Sell Themselves" to which I say Bulloney!

For anyone to truly be successful in this business, one needs to aggressively and passionately market their own domains, ie., ABS or Always Be Selling.

There are plenty of good domain names that will never sell simply because they never get exposure, or very little at best. "Average" domains, which most domainers own, can be sold profitably with the right expsoure.

The best advice I can recommend is to identify what industry your domain represents; ie, healthcare, financial, sports and entertainment, social real estate etc., and market your domain directly to potential buyers in that industry. To simply list it on any site, and hope that someone will come along and buy it is ludicrous. Yet this is the way I've been told to sell....how sad:xf.frown:

Wake Up domainers! It's time to realize how screwed up this industry is, and do something about it. I'm doing my part, how about you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The learning curve can be costly for any newcomer. In 2016 I made 30k from all inbound sales, paid out 3k for renewals and acquisitions. I've never had more than 300 names, but I like to think they are quality names. Slow and steady wins the race ;)[/QUO
The learning curve can be costly for any newcomer. In 2016 I made 30k from all inbound sales, paid out 3k for renewals and acquisitions. I've never had more than 300 names, but I like to think they are quality names. Slow and steady wins the race ;)
Hey Rich...my name is Rich too, but some call me Bulloney. I'm new to domaining, but I know enough about business to realize just how screwed up this industry really is. I haven't built and named dozens of successful businesses from the ground up because I'm clueless:xf.wink: What I find hard to believe is, while I'd carved out niche's in industries that I had an interest, few, if any in those industries doubted my abilities or my integrity. I see where you've been a NamePros member since 2008, and you've been doing it the same way year after year. Maybe it's just me, but I've developed contacts and have friends and peers in the financial services industry, the residential and commercial real estate industry, the healthcare industry, the sports and entertainment industries, and even the social media industry. That said, I know for a fact that "so called" end users don't have a clue about this industry, nor is anyone trying to educate them:xf.frown: That's going to change....this industry is too hosed up, starting with the appraisal piece, for me not to be able to make waves:xf.wink: To further emphasize my point, I've been either a partial owner or full owner of over a dozen businesses since the first .com in 1985. I purchased my first domain ContactUSA.com around 1992, and until last year, I'd purchased 10-20 domains for a variety of businesses. Note, below this post, I purchased a domain September 1, 2001 that I use strictly for my personal email address, and I've had that domain for 17 years, 7 years before you became a member of NamePro's. Why am I saying all this? Not ONCE in the 30 years of my knowing about domains have I ever been approached to buy a domain. Sure there have been adds by GoDaddy on tv, but other than that, I'd never even seen a site like the site I'm preparing under the Efty Brand for selling some of my domains. I'd share the name with you, but it's also just below this post.

On a final note...I see from you're profile you're from Central Florida. Great place to be this time of year:xf.cool: I use to own a condo on the ICW in Stuart, and enjoyed cruising the ICW from VB to Florida when I could afford it. Come to think of it, I could have been buying domains while cruis'n and booz'n. Take care my friend.

•••

Wow. If only in 1992 you decided to reg few LL.com LLL.com and top 1000 dictionary words )

•••
Wow. If only in 1992 you decided to reg few LL.com LLL.com and top 1000 dictionary words )
CouldaWouldaShoulda.com That said however, I'm just happy to be alive:xf.grin:

•••
I'm not saying I never do outbound, if the names are not getting much interest (inquiries, whois lookups, traffic, etc.) I add it to the outbound list. Takes a while to figure which names have a chance to sell for $X,xxx+, how many of those are liquid/hype that are going up or down in value? This is more or less a hobby for me as an underachiever, but its paid out well with the right research. I was online in the early-mid nineties as a teenager developing local websites and never heard of buying and selling domains until 2008 when I joined namepros :)

•••
•••
CouldaWouldaShoulda.com That said however, I'm just happy to be alive:xf.grin:

Isn't it your lucky day? ))

justhappy.JPG

•••
The important number here will always be 0. Domains sold.

Supposed contacts, supposed marketing experience, supposed deal but of course 0 details, there's that number again. Like a bad door to door salesmen. Hey, your name is Rich, my name is Rich too. You're from ___________ I love it there.

So over 1000 domains, 0 sales. But much more experienced than everybody here.

•••
As we all know, the sales put a smile on your face but, it's the renewals that will break you. Don't think there was any discounts or much difference in registration costs when I started-out but in away I'm quite glad, I'm sure the temptation to register all-and-sundry would have been 10 fold.

ps - just seen an Apple advert on UK TV this evening for one of my sold domains, felt like I was watching one of my children on TV
touchn*te.com . Hand reg from about 16 years ago

Last edited:
•••
Isn't it your lucky day? ))

Show attachment 81818
OK...don't know your real name Recon, but wouldn't you like to tell your friends to email me;
[email protected] well, I dropped the "Just" and reg'd simply, HappyToBeA.live Seriously, I did just register it because I thought it would be pretty cool:xf.cool: to tell others to email me; [email protected]. Recon, who wouldn't be envious of whoever owned HappyToBeA.live. Thanks for the tip Recon:xf.grin:

btw, and as an fyi; HappyToBeAlive.com was taken:xf.frown:

Last edited:
•••
As we all know, the sales put a smile on your face but, it's the renewals that will break you. Don't think there was any discounts or much difference in registration costs when I started-out but in away I'm quite glad, I'm sure the temptation to register all-and-sundry would have been 10 fold.

ps - just seen an Apple advert on UK TV this evening for one of my sold domains, felt like I was watching one of my children on TV
touchn*te.com . Hand reg from about 16 years ago

BaileyUK....none of my domains renew, UNLESS I make a conscious effort to renew them. Are you missing something or am I????

•••
BaileyUK....none of my domains renew, UNLESS I make a conscious effort to renew them. Are you missing something or am I????

hi Rich, I'm not really sure what your game-plan or strategy is. I registered most of my domains based on future technologies, so I knew I was in it for the long-term. If your planning to drop all your domains prior to renewal then of course you'll be thinning-out from November this year. I do see a future for some of the new tlds .but as for 12 month flips being a plan. That I'm not so sure about. Your registering in a future market in regards to your 'chosen' extensions, it will take many years for that market to gain any traction (if it ever does).

you'll know if you had any worthwhile ones when they get taken by others at the drops.

Last edited:
•••
hi Rich, I'm not really sure what your game-plan or strategy is. I registered most of my domains based on future technologies, so I knew I was in it for the long-term. If your planning to drop all your domains prior to renewal then of course you'll be thinning-out from November this year. I do see a future for some of the new tlds .but as for 12 month flips being a plan. That I'm not so sure about. Your registering in a future market in regards to you extensions, it will take many years for that market to gain any traction (if it ever does).

you'll know if you had any worthwhile ones when they get taken by others at the drops.
Oh, I'll renew the good ones which I believe will be around 50%. I just don't want to be stuck holding a bag of so so domains. If one or two slip through the cracks and someone picks them up, I'm good with that. It wasn't meant to be:xf.wink:

•••
I do agree with you bulloney! :xf.grin: because recently, when some experts said, my domain are bad(not just bad, in fact horrible)! I just sell them in here, about $300! I pay about $25, at GD, and profit almost 10 times! imagine if I don't promote to the right people! I bet, It will never sold! :xf.grin:

Even though, I must agree if some one said, Good domain can sell themself! good domain mean high price! lets be real, ppl like me never afford to buy that kind of domain! e.g 4L pronouncable, 3L, Numeric domain and etc! because all I got is just an average domain! e.g Hand Reg, Dot Net, and if I lucky, I got, EMD domain, and etc!

For someone like me, it's very true, that if I just sit and wait an offer! to be honest, I will never sell my domain! though, with a little luck! I think I can make decent profit! as long I offering to the right people at the right time!

:xf.grin: in sales Biz, you can ask anything! but don't claim about something! because sales ppl have no right to tell what is right and whats not :xf.laugh: after all, we all sell crap(BS)! not product!:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Bulloney,

I would love to hear your success stories in the advice your giving.

Good names do sell themselves, and when the people who seek them are knocking
At YOUR door, you hold more leverage. If your knocking at their door disturbing them, you lose leverage.

Just because they are not knocking at your door, doesn’t mean you can go around giving bad advice. There is something wrong with your domains, so don’t be fooling yourself, because nobody else is fooled by it.

Sure, marketing to direct end users works, if you have something vastly better to offer them that makes them want to waste a lot
Of time, and money to see the worth in reorganizing around that new domain.

This industry is self governing, nothing screwed up about it, if you have a good name, people want it, and if you have a bad name, nobody wants it.

Not sure what we are waking up to, but quality, over quantity is the secret to success. In 2018 quality costs money,Yes for sure.

I’m sure your gtld sales pitches have fallen on deaf ears, for us to be enlightened with this Jerry McGuire manifesto.

What most people I don’t know why, just don’t understand domaining is not easy. This is not about buying a $100 godaddy domain, and selling it the next day for $20000. Those fairytales you see, are few, and far between. It happens but mainly it’s a numbers game. Domainig is homework homework homework, reading, understanding trends, gambling, thinking outside the box, willing to lose it all, no gurantee of any returns. It is very risky, and a lot of hard work.

I love the last paragraph. Its true. Inconveniently true, but true & it motivates me as well. I do also agree that marketing to end users works.
Keep it positive everyone.

•••
Ah yes, but opportunity stares at you all now squarely in the face. If only in 2018 you know how to spot an altcoin that will go up 100-10000x.

•••
Ah yes, but opportunity stares at you all now squarely in the face. If only in 2018 you know how to spot an altcoin that will go up 100-10000x.

Or will burn out and will cost nothing... The problem with coins is that more and more pop up diluting their overall value and competing for the overall demand for cryptocurrencies.

•••
Good domains do sell themselves; for sure! So be it in every market, and that does not say you can not market your properties, if you so wish to market them . It is one scenario to be able to wait for end users and it is another scenario if you are impatient to wait for the time and suitable price for your name.

Good domain sells themselves; does not mean it could sell at any given price but you must come to a suitable agreement with each other to be able to close any deal.

Good domain names sells themselves; does not mean quick selling as soon as you get them! even short domains may not sell immediately unless you are not looking for end users.

Good domain sells themselves. meant getting inbound mails from time to time and you decide on whom to sell your domain to, based on price.

•••
Or will burn out and will cost nothing... The problem with coins is that more and more pop up diluting their overall value and competing for the overall demand for cryptocurrencies.
Sure, many will burn out and be worth nothing like most domains owned by people on NamePros. People were registering junk .com in mid 1990s too. Even the 1st domain name out of all the possibilities is pretty lame. Symbolic would have been better.

So yes, many will fail but quality and the opportunity of a generation is here now. I was a young boy in mid 1990s and am the right age and experience level to have a good go at this now.

CryptoPros in 2022 or whatever will have lots of shoulda woulda couldas on their forum as they reflect on the early days. This is still Crypto Gen 1.

Last edited:
•••
Good domains do sell themselves; for sure! So be it in every market, and that does not say you can not market your properties, if you so wish to market them . It is one scenario to be able to wait for end users and it is another scenario if you are impatient to wait for the time and suitable price for your name.

Good domain sells themselves; does not mean it could sell at any given price but you must come to a suitable agreement with each other to be able to close any deal.

Good domain names sells themselves; does not mean quick selling as soon as you get them! even short domains may not sell immediately unless you are not looking for end users.

Good domain sells themselves. meant getting inbound mails from time to time and you decide on whom to sell your domain to, based on price.
Elevator...maybe its a matter of semantics, but unless you put a for sale sign in front of your house, I don't care how "good" a house you have, it isn't going to sell. Also, unless you run adds and actively promote the sale of your "good" house, you still may not sell it. Make sense? ie, even "good" domains don't sell themselves.

•••
Hmm, not if it's not offered for sale anywhere and it's private. So choose spam or no spam and decide where to list that is best for you.

•••
Hmm, not if it's not offered for sale anywhere and it's private. So choose spam or no spam and decide where to list that is best for you.
So putting a for sale sign in front of your house is Spam? Wow!

•••
Sure, many will burn out and be worth nothing like most domains owned by people on NamePros. People were registering junk .com in mid 1990s too. Even the 1st domain name out of all the possibilities is pretty lame. Symbolic would have been better.

So yes, many will fail but quality and the opportunity of a generation is here now. I was a young boy in mid 1990s and am the right age and experience level to have a good go at this now.

CryptoPros in 2022 or whatever will have lots of shoulda woulda couldas on their forum as they reflect on the early days. This is still Crypto Gen 1.
No! Compare domain names to any sexy woman, men will always look for sexy women;you know men don't wait to know if you have husband or not. Such are good domain names, interested persons will always look for good domain names. Even if you are not parking or put for sale on them, those that likes or need your domains will still find you. Unless you don't have killer domains.
For exmaple; home.com, car.com, jet.com, hotel.com, forsale.com, domainname.com, sexy.com, sexylady.com, findhome .com, homes.com etc are good domain names. Those are the types of domain names that sells themselves.
Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
No! Compare domain names to any sexy woman, men will always look for sexy women;you know men don't wait to know if you have husband or not. Such are good domain names, interested persons will always look for good domain names. Even if you are not parking or put for sale on them, those that likes or need your domains will still find you. Unless you don't have killer domains.
For exmaple; home.com, car.com, jet.com, hotel.com, forsale.com, domainname.com, sexy.com, sexylady.com, findhome .com, homes.com etc are good domain names. Those are the types of domain names that sells themselves.
Cheers.
lol, ok mate

•••
every women realize! they are not sexy! :xf.grin: so in order to closed the deals! they have to use some kind of methods! :xf.grin: imagine if she just sit and wait! I am sure most of them will be rusty!
lol :xf.grin:

my point is, if you sexy! sure you sell by it self! but if not! do anything! or you'll loose!

Last edited:
•••
every women realize! they are not sexy! :xf.grin: so in order to closed the deals! they have to use some kind of methods! :xf.grin: imagine if she just sit and wait! I am sure most of them will be rusty!
lol :xf.grin:

my point is, if you sexy! sure you sell by it self! but if not! do anything! or you'll loose!
OK! Nice

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back