advice So you want to be a domainer - Tips and Tidbits for New Domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
So you want to be a domainer? Sounds like easy money, you may have even read that it is easy money. You are going to sell a name for big money right out the gate. NO, 99.9999% of the time those new to domaining waste money on domain registrations that don’t mean anything to anyone on this planet Earth except for themselves.

In this article I am going to try to give those new to domain investing some things to think about and some things to be on the look out for. Domaining can be a fun hobby or even a decent side business, you want to start out with a sound foundation about the business.

It is important to understand or recognize things such as the following:
  • Linguistics
  • What makes a name valuable
  • The whole world does not speak the same language
  • Having both a buying and selling strategy
  • Bankroll management
  • How aftermarkets and drop catchers work
  • Dealing with endusers
Read the full article here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
great article

I love this:

One of the things over the years that has been a constant is the proclamation of opinion as fact. A lot of domain investors who either get something or they don’t, come out and call their opinion fact.

the beauty of domaining is that you have so many options to find your way to a profitable transaction.

Take your time and search for the things most aren’t looking for, it requires patience and a lot of days no value buys will come along.

•••
Great article Ray. Five stars. I'm a tad surprised you didn't mention DomainSherpa.com as one of your goto websites. They have a lot of very great info on that website.

•••
Great insight mate. A must go to for all beginners.

I'm a tad surprised you didn't mention DomainSherpa.com as one of your goto websites. They have a lot of very great info on that website.

I agree with @stub. DomainSherpa is a great source of knowledge for all new comers as well as pro's.

•••
Great article Ray. Five stars. I'm a tad surprised you didn't mention DomainSherpa.com as one of your goto websites. They have a lot of very great info on that website.

Thanks Stu I was just writing away and have been sick with a cold for the last couple days, I started naming sites and thought I am going to end up listing 50 sites, so I just edited it back, but said there are plenty more.

•••
•••
Excellent article which every newbie should read. Well done :)

•••
Awesome read. Thanks for that.

•••
Insightful article Ray As you said, " 99.9999% of the time those new to domaining waste money on domain registrations that don’t mean anything to anyone on this planet Earth except for themselves". Lol....

•••
I don't want to be a domainer anymore.
I want to be an end-user: "because they have all the money". :D

•••
Simple words. The perfect first to read for a person stepping into domaining.

Thank you @equity78

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back