So what is domain.com.mx

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I travelled to Mexico recently and saw a lot of billboards with domain.com.mx

What is all that about?
There is been a number of extensions where I have seen domain.com.anotherextension

So does someone own com.mx and is adding a subdomain in front to make subdomain.com.mx

I have to say this one set of domains I have not figured out yet.

I was aware of domain.co.uk for a long time and never quite figured out who owns them either.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure what you are struggling with. A simple search for wikipedia brings up 2 articles that might help explain this simple concept:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains

•••
Not sure what you are struggling with. A simple search for wikipedia brings up 2 articles that might help explain this simple concept:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains

Agreed, but this is a discussion forum and I come here to learn from experienced domainers and discuss topics of interest. I read your links and still don't understand why someone would want to own a .com.mx. Would they have any value compared to a .mx domain. It seems to me to be a redundant extension now that .mx is wide open.

•••
Until a few years ago, it was not possible for Mexicans to register directly under .mx, it was .com.mx usually or another third level extension like .org.mx.
There are still more .com.mx registered than .mx
Stats: http://www.nicmexico.mx/es/NicMx.Indicadores/Dominios?type=0

Many countries still use third level extensions, but the trend in recent years has been to allow registrations at the second level too. Recent examples just for Latin America: .co .pa .pe .cr .uy possibly .ec and there may be more.

Same situation in the UK, until 2014 you couldn't register under .uk, it had to be .co.uk (usually). But there are 10+ million .co.uk registered since it's been used the mid-1990s...

Until 2001, Canada also had similar restrictions: you had to be federally incorporated to register .ca, otherwise it was .on.ca .qc.ca etc. They are still used but strictly legacy.

.com.mx, like .co.uk is the historical extension used by local businesses so it's deeply ingrained in the minds of consumers.

•••
Thank you Kate for that very well laid out exolanation, I had completely forgotten about the .on.ca domains. Today I only see them in government and figured it was just a government thing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back