NameSilo

So what are the name basics?

Located in Domain Beginners started by dielan, Sep 6, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. dielan

dielan New Member

Hi there,

I am new to domain investing and this site. I have been checking out threads on here and Youtube videos for the past week or so.

I finally purchased my first domain, cannabis dominion dot com.

Can I get feedback on this domain?

Besides this, my main reason for this thread was to get an idea of what makes a "good" domain name. I realize there are specific niches you can cater to which changes the characteristics pretty drastically. But from what I have gathered over the past week, a good domain name is usually short and sweet and gives off a positive sentiment. Any other feedback on what you believe constitutes a good domain name?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. MarketingStrategies.com

MarketingStrategies.com Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

Short and sweet is a good mantra to go by. Add in memorable and 'not forced' to be in your way.

3. Domain Executive

Domain Executive Established Member

A good domain name in general is short, without typos, sounding positive & motivating, without hypens, brandable, trending, in the correct order if more than one word, present tense for verbs, not a Trademark.

4. Airship

Airship Upgraded Member Blue Account

Memorable domains are the most valuable. Hence why shorter domains generally sell for more. Which is easier to remember cars.com or automobiles365.com?

5. domainer111

domainer111 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Hi @dielan

For two worders: key the two words into namebio.com:

cannabis - 288 sales, average sale $784. Great!

dominion - 10 sales, average $576. Only two sales where we place dominion as a suffix.

Here we are looking for "cannabis" to carry "dominion".

You have to decide if that's a risk you want to take. Perhaps there are better bets.

Besides that, look for:

adjective > noun eg coolcars.com
    verb > noun eg buyshoes.com
    noun > noun .. as in the one you registered, although cannabis is sort of like an adjective here.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. dielan

dielan New Member

Thanks so much for the detailed reply!! I appreciate it. And thanks everyone else for your comments as well.

7. larryscott2559

larryscott2559 Established Member

*1-2 Word domain names
    *3-15 characters ( I prefer 3-12 characters)
    *Ends in .com
    *No Numbers or dashes
    *Generic words (singular or plural) The more common use of the word the better.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!