NameSilo

So I definitely..,

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wcpthree

Established Member
Impact
Just spent over an hour with a dictionary in my lap trying to register 1 word domains. No success. I will keep trying though. Please nobobody steal my idea :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Here is the shortcut and the way professionals get it done.

You can download a text file of the entire English dictionary. Use Google, you will find it.

Then download the Zone file... which is the list of all registered domains in the world. Use Google, you will find it.

Toss both databases into Microsoft Access, and then run a DELETE query for dictionary words that are exact matches for domains in the Zone file. Use Google, you can teach yourself.

You will have to split the .COM zone file into 3 different databases, because the size of the file is massive. Google.

What you will have left is a list of exact matching dictionary words that are unregistered.

Do this once a month, because names are always falling through the cracks; so to speak. You can add to the dictionary database lists of last names, first names, whatever.

I registered a few decent names using this method. It's not the best way to hunt for domains, but it's another way to look where others aren't looking.

Go ahead and start clicking that 'like' and 'thanks' button below. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Enjoy your hobby.
Then when you are done with the dictionary, move on to:
Roget's Thesaurus.

•••
I wasn't going through every word. And I don't expect anyone to use my idea as advice, hence the smily face. This is a "community", thats why i joked which i thought was allowed, but I guess my personality doesn't mesh well with certain folks. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
Buck up, bucko, and don't be such a Negative Nancy.

Welcome to the community and keep up the good work and for crying out loud, don't be so sensitive!

The first line was just a little old fashioned ribbing, please don't be offended.

•••
The dictionary keywords that are available are usually obscure, unusable ones.
You are 15 years late to the game.

•••
Just spent over an hour with a dictionary in my lap trying to register 1 word domains. No success. I will keep trying though. Please nobobody steal my idea :)
Well you just keep on trying, and don't worry, I'd highly doubt anyone will steal your 'idea'. There hasn't been a single dictionary word of any 'value' not registered for years!!

You may want to keep in mind, just because a 'word' is not registered, means it has any value in the domaining world. What the word means, is where the value is.

•••
•••
I see what you did there, haha! pollish

•••
@wcpthree Thanks for the likes! I was just thinking how this thread had thrown off my 2:1 message to like ratio. =)

•••
You can download a text file of the entire English dictionary. Use Google, you will find it.

Then download the Zone file... which is the list of all registered domains in the world. Use Google, you will find it.
Yes, but why limit yourself to English keywords ;) Granted, the market is more limited for foreign keywords.
Generally, domains left unregistered are available for a reason.

On the other hand, there are things you can do with zone files. For example you can cross check several different zones. So you can find domains taken in certain TLDs (eg .net .org) but available in .com. Plenty of .net are unregistered in .com.

But it's probably not the most productive approach to domaining anyway.

•••
And I'm a guy can u please at least call me negative nick or nathan ? :)

•••
Ok, duly noted. Though "Negative Nancy" has some history on this forum, but I won't bore you with that story.

•••
@Grilled Jesus: Polish has one L I'm slightly Polish so that's offensive :)

•••
@wcpthree I have since edited my post, but I'm shocked you found the misspelling more offensive than the lack of capitalization in Polish when Bosnian was spelled correctly and capitalized. ;)

•••
•••
@Grilled Jesus well hopefully that went in the direction of your preference!

•••

There is much a more effective way to go about this, rather than using a dictionary and typing in single words. Many registrars have bulk checking options, for example NameSilo allows 500 domains to be checked at the same time. There are probably tools/registrars which allow for much more than that too.

There are also lots of sites which list different words. Simply find and copy those lists into the bulk checking tools, and click search. Then you can quickly see which ones are available.

You will definitively find available words this way, but as others have said, they will be extremely obscure.

•••
Is there a limit on number of domains you can register? Even 50 character nonsense keywords I put didn't work.

•••
Is there a limit on number of domains you can register? Even 50 character nonsense keywords I put didn't work.

No limit... There is a 64 character limit on domain length though...

•••

This is the first thing that every new person in domain industry does. Somebody started doing it 20 yrs back and the ritual continues as strong as ever. All the best.

•••
To speed up your process to failure copy about 250 words per page drop them into Microsoft Word. Copy the entire column from Microsoft Word and go to godaddy bulk search and drop them in. I've already been down this road wasted hrs on this. You can find words but no keywords and nothing with significant value Imo

•••
•••
•••
Yes, but why limit yourself to English keywords ;) Granted, the market is more limited for foreign keywords.
Generally, domains left unregistered are available for a reason.

On the other hand, there are things you can do with zone files. For example you can cross check several different zones. So you can find domains taken in certain TLDs (eg .net .org) but available in .com. Plenty of .net are unregistered in .com.

But it's probably not the most productive approach to domaining anyway.

I agree with you 100%. To the EN database I added lists of the most popular last names, first names, country names, and foreign words that have to do with buying/selling and tech.

I used this strategy to pick up "Brasils" as a .COM, as it is the natural spelling of "Brazil". Portuguese speakers prefer this spelling in South America. So saying Brasils is referencing the entire Brasil region, or that which is possessed by Brasil. It was previously registered since 1996 (not that it matters),and dropped sometime in the month I regged it. I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't have it as a country match in my list.

I think it's a pretty decent geo/travel domain for someone in the Brasil area. Would I prefer Brasils {d0t} br, yes; but who knows; a future buyer may be a corporate entity that prefers .COM over geo. I think it's worth the hold.

It's defiantly not the most efficient way to buy, but it's something I do once a month to see if anyone missed a reasonably decent name I can get for a coupon.

•••

Sounds like the tawdriest of tasks :) {available but no good}

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back