Domain Empire

SnapNames - Improvement Made to Auction System

Spaceship
Watch
One of the complaints w/ the Pool-style system has been the inability to see the bidding history of an auction. This has, in part, been responsible for creating a concern among many, that shiill bidding may be taking place to bump the prices up. Whether or not this is factual, I have never understood why active bidders have not been privy to see what's going on w/ their auction, other than the current bid amt and the time remaining.

So, just wanted to congratulate SnapNames for addressing this issue w/ their new auction format. By clicking on the auction "Status", the participant can see the complete bidding history- how many people are competing, the bidding chronology- while the individual bidders privacy is still kept, because the users auction alias is used. Good move SnapNames.:tu:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds great. Althrough I have never really participated in any of those auctions, I am suprised that this was not already a feature.

•••
I have seen on other forums that Pool's auction format is causing much concern.

I have personally bought a name at Pool where it transpired that I was the only "challenger phase" bidder, but I still had to pay my maximum bid, as they do not use a proxy bidding system. Once bitten......

With the recent improvements at Snapnames & eNom beginning to reap rewards & with NW apparently left out in the cold I predict consolidation in the market pretty soon.

In the meantime I would advise everyone to avoid using Pool (except for that *special* name).

It appears that money is the only language they understand at Pool so not using their services may well be the only way to get them to listen to their customers views.

•••
Grrilla said:
By clicking on the auction "Status", the participant can see the complete bidding history- how many people are competing, the bidding chronology- while the individual bidders privacy is still kept, because the users auction alias is used. Good move SnapNames.:tu:

Is there a faq pertaining to who those under auction aliases may pertain? As in....is anyone from Snapnames exempt from using an alias?
It's still "he who runs the show, polices it as well."
However, I do agree it's a better model than one in place under the inane Phase 1 and 2 umbrella by pool.

•••
Is there a faq pertaining to who those under auction aliases may pertain? As in....is anyone from Snapnames exempt from using an alias?

I had thought of that, also, and although some shenanigans could still be taking place due to the anonymity, if there ever was a question or dispute, at least there is some form of public record available and a degree of accountability involved, whereas w/ Pool, everything is under wraps.

A side note on Pool. I, too, after having been fairly active there, have stopped using them- partly because of my own experiences and lingering questions, partly due to reports I have heard from others that I trust.
Staying w/ the "money only" theme: back in May, I attempted to list two of my recently regged names, (Pool backorders), at their "Marketplace".
The listing was not allowed, because it was not regged w/ NameScout, (essentially Pool's in-house registrar). -another income ploy, unless you believe their lame "security" excuse. To make a long story short, I opted not to list there, (the names are currently listed at GreatDomains), and once the 60 day pre-transfer holding period ended for the names, I began receiving incessant (SPAM) emails, w/ no opt out, only opt-in, stating that they have received a request to transfer the names to NameScout, a transfer that was initiated and which originated, solely from the earlier attempt to list the names at Pools "Marketplace", and not from any desire to transfer to Namescout, per se. A shoddy, money-grubbing tactic, IMO.

I brought it up, because I still am recieving these emails every other day, whereas other registrars, after an attempt or two, will send out a notice stating attempt failed, and then drop it. Have never seen anything quite so incessant from any other registrar.

Last edited:
•••
I think Pool filled the pool with the ultimate slime greed with its Sealed Bid.

It not only allows them 3 days to check to see if they caught any good names with only one bidder so that "prices" can be raised, it totally makes it impossible to observe shilll bids.

What kind of innovation is that? The cold in Canada must have frozen the brains of the so-called management up there.

•••
Simple solution to business who;s practices are questionable as such.. dont do business with them.

I promise, within 3 months, they would cease to exist or have a major revamp in their system.

Why put up with it?

•••
Pool has become very money hungry. It is only a matter of time before it catches up to them

•••
Are there any snap services NOT in auction format these days? Sheesh...

•••
I dont think the issue is with the auction itself, but with the blind auction format.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back