Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Sitemaps good or bad

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

alexo

Established Member
Impact
0
I have been experimenting with Google sitemaps for 3 months now and have seen my numbers go down since using the sitemaps. Also, my new pages have not been getting indexed by Google. These new pages were not being indexed before I started using Google sitemaps, this is the main reason that I started using Google sitemaps. Why are the sitemaps not helping me?

This brings me to my main question, Google sitemaps good or bad?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
0
•••
0
•••
I bought the www.xml-sitemaps.com one. It works fairly simple. Just copy the sitemap folder to every new website and run it to create the sitemaps (3 types: html, Yahoo and Google) or you can schedule it in a cronjob to update regularly.

I submit the sitemaps to Yahoo but not to Google. It tried it with a forum that google only indexed about 1,000 of the 60,000 posts after 1 year but it didn't help. Yahoo on the other hand indexed all 20,000 pages in 3 weeks from a brand new website. I don't know if it was because of the sitemap but it doesn't hurt either.
 
0
•••
Last edited:
0
•••
dynamiteweb said:
If you use it properly, a sitemap is beneficial. Especially now that Google, Yahoo and MSN have initiated the standardized sitemap. It is intended to help the search engines accurately index all the pages on your site. It DOES affect the crawl rate. It does NOT cut your pagerank in half. It has no affect on PR.


It doesn't increase the crawl rate at all. It just increases the chances of getting more urls indexed.
 
0
•••
alexo said:
I have been experimenting with Google sitemaps for 3 months now and have seen my numbers go down since using the sitemaps. Also, my new pages have not been getting indexed by Google. These new pages were not being indexed before I started using Google sitemaps, this is the main reason that I started using Google sitemaps. Why are the sitemaps not helping me?

This brings me to my main question, Google sitemaps good or bad?
What number have gone down? Your mean PR? Aren't there any other factors that may have influenced your PR?No updated content for a long time? Have stopped link-building? Sitemaps can't be blamed for that, I'm sure.
 
0
•••
Search engines have a hard time indexing pages more than 3 clicks deep. Even with a Sitemap. you should also know that creating to many pages at once can also stop you from getting indexed. if you create new pages you should use backlinks to your new pages. So don't create 150 new pages in like 2 days. or if you do make sure each page gets at least a backlink or 2. this will help you.
 
0
•••
john's TLD Domain said:
Search engines have a hard time indexing pages more than 3 clicks deep. Even with a Sitemap. you should also know that creating to many pages at once can also stop you from getting indexed. if you create new pages you should use backlinks to your new pages. So don't create 150 new pages in like 2 days. or if you do make sure each page gets at least a backlink or 2. this will help you.
:( I just made 1000 new pages yesterday on my site http://www.downzine.com

Also added a files information section in it which has new content and new pages. But my internal linking structure is good enough :)

If I go on getting 2 backlinks for each page from other websites to it. then I will have to spend 10 lifetimes in doing so. As some of my websites has more then 150,000 pages and 600,000 pages.
 
0
•••
In the past 10 tens I haven't used site maps at all. In the last 3 months I started using site maps in my directories and it has made a big difference of how many pages get indexed by Google and Yahoo.
I would say it has made about a 30% more pages in those two search engines.
 
0
•••
I figured Google's sitemap would help tell the googlebot where all your pages are for ease indexing.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back