question Single word but plural .com names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CRAIG OWENS

Established Member
Impact
I recently found a few one word .com names which were the plural of the name

Just as an example of what I mean - paints.com instead of paint.com

Now I realize one work domain names are very rare, so I assume if it is a good word the singular variety
would be worth a fair bit. But my question is do you think by having the plural of the name, it drastically affects the value ?

coming back to my example, would paints.com be of much less value than paint.com?
Any thought welcome

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I recently found a few one word .com names which were the plural of the name

Now I realize one work domain names are very rare, so I assume if it is a good word the singular variety
would be worth a fair bit. But my question is do you think by having the plural of the name, it drastically affects the value ?

coming back to my example, would paints.com be of much less value than paint.com?
Any thought welcome

Hi

it always depends on the actual word.... and what other brands/services it could apply to, other than it's obvious meaning.

for your example, paint.com could, have more value than paints.com, or not.

but that too, depends on who owned them and who was interested in buying them.

paint could be used as an application, and paints could be retail or distributors/manufacturers, etc.

but those examples are not an either/or, choice.

maybe choosing between "shoe.com and shoes.com", where shoes.com obviously would serve that market better than 'shoe.com'

there are many words where the singular version is preferred over plural and many plural versions that are favored over their singular counterparts.

then too, there are words that can represent the plurality, that don't end with letter 's'
like 'fish'.

it all depends....

imo....

•••
I think the general rule is that singular for brand, plural for products. Besides, there are words that make more sense only in plural form, for example, sunglasses, shoes etc.

•••
I think it can change the target market. "paint" is a household and indusrial product. "paints" refers to artistic products.

•••
I think it can change the target market. "paint" is a household and indusrial product. "paints" refers to artistic products.

I think this is a blurry area. Both Paint and Paints can be both a verb and a noun. Which could be used for artistic or commercial uses. Paints can also mean multiple colored range of Paints (noun), not just this physical act of painting (verb).

•••
Both Paint and Paints can be both a verb and a noun.

Just like Deal and Deals. Funny domaining!
VacationDeals wiil certainly have more value than VacationDeal

•••
There are tonnes of available plurals and words ending in tion, ing ly er ed etc. You buy them an wonder why. Some are okay but second choice is not first choice with anything.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back