Dominion.Domains

Significantly Increased Auction Activity

Labeled as report in General Domain Discussion started by Ategy.com, Feb 4, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. stub

stub Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Not any more since I transferred all my domains out of GoDaddy, after "the incident". Since I no longer had the 300 domains minimum requirement to have an Account Manager. GoDaddy took my Account Manager away. Quite legitimately. It was the price I was prepared to pay for GoDaddy not to be able to take my domains away from me, at will. It was inconvenient not having email support any longer. But with no domains in my account, and with my deep knowledge of how GoDaddy Registrar operates, there really isn't much necessity for me to have an Account Manager. My auction activity also dried up at the same time. GoDaddy are not a company I trust to give you a fair shake when push comes to shove. That trust has been irrevocably broken. So my continued business with them is severely limited. On purpose. At the same time auction prices have risen somewhat severely (due to HD and proxy bidders generally), and I haven't followed this upward trend. My focus has been on reducing the size of my portfolio. I'm downsizing. Getting rid of the dross. But not going away.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. stub

stub Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Absolutely true about the rabbit hole :) I don't think playing hardball with a registry is going to work. They have their basic costs to survive. Losing money on every domain on a portfolio is not a practical proposition, IMHO. Nobody has a clear idea how much profit the .com registry makes for Verisign. But it probably makes "a lot". I know they signed a continually recurring contract with ICANN. And so it's going to be very messy to transfer .com Registry to somebody else. And Verisign are also making noises about putting .com prices up again.

Yes it was good old Bob, who proposed to take over the .com registry for $2 a domain. Was this a good faith proposition? Or was it designed to put pressure on Verisign? We will never know. And Verisign countered that by signing and automatically recurring renewal of the .com Registry contract. There is something sounding not quite right about having and automatically renewing contract for the .com Registry. So it must be very profitable. Would be my guess :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

Seeing exactly the same thing on my end. HugeDomains show up in the WHOIS record for the vast majority of auctions I've bid in recently. They've actually been winning a lot more auctions than I had anticipated.

Bot bidding seemed to cool down a bit during Feb 11-14. But today and yesterday automated bidding activity was intense again. Looks like they are still testing out how to run their bots, as there has been a lot of variation in bidding patterns over the past week. I've been bidding up bots tens of thousands extra on low quality names over the past few weeks, in the hopes that they'll set up their bots to bid more conservatively. No idea if it has any impact. Doesn't seem like it so far.

4. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

\
    I have seen that also, some days they are just grabbing everything, then they ease up a bit, I wonder if it goes with their bank roll, and a %, nice haul on the ebike.com, that should buy them a few days of dominance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  5. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

With their bidding activity recently it's looking more like they are testing things out and tweaking bot settings, rather than taking budget restraints into consideration.

6. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

End user sales have noticeably increased recently, and I'm sure HD are seeing that with their 4 million portfolio. Add sales like the ebike.com one on DC, and it all adds up to a significant amount. So if they want to dominate I'm sure they don't lack the funds to do so these days.

HD's growth have moved in tandem with the economic recovery and growth both globally and in the US over the past few years, which surely has played part in making their quick growth from 2.4 mill to 4 mill domains viable. They're still riding that wave. I wonder whether their model can be sustained if the economic winds change and we enter a more serious financial downturn or recession again.

7. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

You make a good point there, they do have that attractive price point that you can take a flyer on their domains. They are ramping up big, the president likes to keep the economy moving, and probably will do whatever it takes so it will keep moving no matter what the consequences are during his presidency.

8. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

When people set a proxy bid, and you bid against them, their automated higher bid is marked with "automatic bid" in the "comment" field. I just noticed that when I'm auto outbid by what appears to be bot bidding the comment field is empty (there is no "automatic bid" indication"). I've seen the same thing in other auctions too. Anyone know why/what this means?

9. drewwash

drewwash Established Member

GoDaddy is very hit or miss. I see domains go for much cheaper than they should sometimes. Works out frequently.

Occasionally we run up against another party. However, I still think that many of the domains go for less than they are worth.

Just be thankful for the cheap days.

10. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Please show some examples, as I am seeing the opposite, but maybe we see difference of opinions of valuations in regards to wholesale, and retail.

11. drewwash

Just today or yesterday "Landlording.com" went for $1,200! :-o That is a wholesale $5k domain and retail $20k+.

Pugs.net went for $1,125. Which I don't mess with .nets often... but seriously that is a steal.

Both of the above I missed because I'm still learning GoDaddy's sh*tty bidding system. Whoever got them owes me a drink because they got them for at least $1500 less than I would have been willing to pay.

I haven't messed with GoDaddy for like 5 years because they pissed me off, so these are just over the last few days since I've been back.

I have a posting on NamePros asking for wholesale pricing for .COMs. I've received 90% garbage priced like gold. Compared to what I've been able to see on NamePros GoDaddy is a steal.

12. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Landlording.com for $1,200 seems like a great price for godaddy to achieve, ING is not very popular with sell thru rates, so $5K wholesale, I don't see it, as it isn't even a real word, more of a verb type, $20K seems like a real unique one off buyer, but sometimes experience in key industries speaks larger than not for sure.

I agree .net is a crapshoot right now, if you breed dogs, great end user name, but they can add a keyword to the .com, and pay reg fee, which is the way most want to go these days.

I have actually backed off a bit, as prices have titled a over wholesale rates, which will tend to lead to higher outlay, and longer hold times, based on increased ask prices. Will let market settle a bit, or take a breather, but overall more bidders in this small space, can have a huge impact on prices, in this supply and demand based industry.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

13. andydotlol

andydotlol Upgraded Member Gold Account

Great discussion here guys. I am hoping the bots go crazy today 😁

14. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

Landlord is a noun, and it cannot, afaik, be used as a verb. I don't think you can put -ing at the end to denote a verbal action in this case, and I have never heard anyone say they do "landlording" for a living. LandlordING is simply an ungrammatical construct, and a relatively awkward one (lording alone does not denote a verbal action either), it's certainly not a real word, so that really limits the end user price. $1200 already seems really on the high end for reseller (I'd have expected the name to go for $350 to $700 at most in an auction among domainers), and $5K looks more like end-user pricing than "true" re-seller price imo. I struggle to see this name sell for $20K+ unless you own hundreds of thousands of names and follow the Mike Mann strategy.

But the good news is that if you think domains like landlording.com and pugs.net for low $X,XXX are real steals, you haven't missed out on any opportunities because domains of this quality come up for auction at GD every day, and more often than not sell for less. And if you would have been willing to pay $1500 more for each of these (so $2500-3000 range), as you said in your post, I can guarantee you that going forwards you'll be able to win almost every single auction at GoDaddy for domains of a similar quality. The only limit will be your own budget, more so than competition from other domainers.

15. theunique

theunique Established Member

It isn´t an "automatic bid" like a proxy bid which goes up if someone makes a lower bid. It´s a "normal" bid done via Auctions API. That´s the reason they are so fast and it seems that it was a proxy.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  16. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

Say if I bid $100, how are they able to outbid me with a $100 bid but without that being a proxy bid? If their bid comes in "response" to mine, however fast, that shouldn't be possible.

17. drewwash

I'm happy to take them when they do.

This is a proxy bid for sure. But many of the annoying bids are done by API people. If everyone was forced to do proxy bids then we'd get to the highest price quickly. Instead the "hesi-bid" is a tactic that gives the API users an unfair advantage to manipulate the price valuable domains.

Hoping I can just get API access so we can take advantage of the advantage.

18. theunique

theunique Established Member

In my experience and with my understanding this should not be possible. I had it sometimes that I make a first bid and a second bid bidder jumps in the same second I put in my "first" offer for a domain. But this bid has never been the same bid amount. At least in my case. And it was performed later than mine. For this reason, I would be the high bidder.

If they had the same bid amount and placed the bid before you did it without showing up as a proxy that´s maybe because API proxy bids don´t show up as "Automatic bids."?! Will take a look at it the next days if no one knows for sure. Would be easier to follow if GoDaddy would show the bid times with seconds instead of just minutes.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!