Agreed, but you can't have accountability without transparency. One is a prerequisite for the other.No. The biggest argument against anonymisation is that it allows people to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.
This is going back to responsibility, accountability, and transparency. It's hard to hold people accountable when they're anonymous.Who cares about misinformation.
You have completely missed the point.
Downvoting options should be disabled.
Most of the downvotes came from people who are complaining about downvoting in this thread. That seems to be a common occurrence.
Paul,Agreed, but you can't have accountability without transparency. One is a prerequisite for the other.
This is going back to responsibility, accountability, and transparency. It's hard to hold people accountable when they're anonymous.
Looking at the top downvoters, I suspect there's quite a bit of correlation between people who are downvoted and people who downvote others. That's a concerning cycle of toxicity indicating that anonymous voting doesn't work.
I agree. This is basically a new domain investor, and they have a -8 for simply asking a question?This guy opened a thread with ca 20 replies.
They massacred him
Show attachment 244730
Show attachment 244731
What did he wrong?
What are those trolls disagreeing with?
Isn't there any way to just disable downvotes going forward?
It was me.Most of the downvotes came from people who are complaining about downvoting in this thread. That seems to be a common occurrence.
It was a great thread, many intelligent replies, highest reply got a +14, no reason OP should be at -8 (now -3)I agree. This is basically a new domain investor, and they have a -8 for simply asking a question?
Then another -10 for asking a question?
What did they do wrong?
You will notice I have multiple responses in that thread.
The OP seemed like they were genuinely interested in learning and were courteous.
This negative downvote system really hurts meaningful engagement IMO.
@Paul
Brad
Nope.
This DownFu* is getting a lot of people out of NPs (X). “Maybes“ are not going to end this …. and if the management doesn’t want to recognize the outcome … then, in a year-two there is no more NamePros … Let’s see
Seriously …
Regards
I really preferred the thanks / like / agree / dislike / disagree system without any anonymous voting period.It was me.
I wanted someone to talk about downvoting.
I undid my -5, your move, @Paul.
Stop empowering anon bullies and shills —
I believe in positive thoughts and emotions.I really preferred the thanks / like / agree / dislike / disagree system without any anonymous voting period.
Even then (and now), I rarely click dislike or disagree. I would rather leave a comment than doing that, and certainly over leaving anonymous downvotes.
I think that system encouraged more dialogue via actual comments than just leaving anonymous votes.
Brad
I tend to agree with the view expressed a bit ago by @bmugford and others in this thread about the anonymous dislike voting being negative to the community, and not, that I can see, serving any useful purpose. It seems, as case noted, that some are particularly hard on newcomers simply asking questions.I really preferred the thanks / like / agree / dislike / disagree system without any anonymous voting period.
Even then (and now), I rarely click dislike or disagree. I would rather leave a comment than doing that, and certainly over leaving anonymous downvotes.
I think that system encouraged more dialogue via actual comments than just leaving anonymous votes.
I tend to agree with the view expressed a bit ago by @bmugford and others in this thread about the anonymous dislike voting being negative to the community, and not, that I can see, serving any useful purpose. It seems, as case noted, that some are particularly hard on newcomers simply asking questions.
I personally would probably prefer a system that we take out dislike altogether. Also, that it be suggested that anyone leaving a disagree should add a comment briefly explaining why they disagree. I have no problem with people expressing disagreement, and it is valuable to counter ideas that are expressed by may not be sound, but to be helpful in a forum surely it is better to share why you disagree.
-Bob
Sometimes, though, it's best to not take the downvotes too personally. The implication in that case is that the response didn't really have content. It's better to simply do a like or thanks button, rather than perhaps a comment that is a general greeting.Question for moderator @Bravo Mod Team
Why you start a thread and then turn it into an ask paul anything thread?
Quad, being a minus means you have made quite an impact.
Keep posting you will get to minus xxxx
Then you will be worth something![]()
Sometimes, though, it's best to not take the downvotes too personally. The implication in that case is that the response didn't really have content. It's better to simply do a like or thanks button, rather than perhaps a comment that is a general greeting.
Nonetheless, it is interesting that sometimes members with signficant downvotes have a useful comment that gets them into trouble. And the comments may be worthwhile seriously considering, even if not popular.
Not as much as I expected. However, if we instead look at the people giving the downvotes (rather than receiving them), then we see that a small percentage of people are responsible for the overwhelming majority of downvotes. They’re relatively indiscriminate in who they downvote.Would you agree that certain people and/or subjects receive a disproportionate amount of downvotes?
That’s not a helpful argument.You should be ashamed at allowing anon downvotes.
This type of thing is a problem.The sheer possibility that posting “
Greetings!” when someone introduces themselves would go against an unspoken forum etiquette is rather ridiculous. Especially considering there are far more concerning things that are stated here on the regular.
Well, you have access to data that I don't.Not as much as I expected. However, if we instead look at the people giving the downvotes (rather than receiving them), then we see that a small percentage of people are responsible for the overwhelming majority of downvotes. They’re relatively indiscriminate in who they downvote.
I’m not in favor of removing downvotes: I think that’s useful feedback, and there’s nothing wrong with posting sometime controversial. We don’t have to weight downvotes as heavily as upvotes; that’s a knob we can tune until we hit a sweet spot.
You are missing the point LCDSometimes, though, it's best to not take the downvotes too personally.
That one person is still a human with feelings. Part of the job of a moderation team--or any oversight body--is to protect the minority from the majority. Several people have expressed concern about their votes suddenly becoming public, and those concerns are both understandable and justified, regardless of what we've stated our plans are.
This type of thing is a problem.
Why would anyone get downvotes for that comment?
There are a lot of things @QUAD DOMAINS posts that I don't really agree with, but is leads to a discussion.
Just leaving downvotes, especially for a "Greetings" comment, is unreasonable.
Brad
Meanwhile, you got -3 for discussing downvotes.There a thousands of examples showing how ridiculous this tool is
This guy informed the community about an email he received from DAN re their connection with Afternic.
He didn't say anything, he just posted the email.
Show attachment 244986
"Well, I don't like Dan's integration within Afternic, so I'll give a thumb down.
Click.
There you go."
These 4 morons didn't realise that downvoting a posting you are penalising its poster.
Through this dysfunctional tool this community has penalised someone who did us a favour


