IT.COM

opinion Should domainers sit by the pool or get pro-active to make optimum profits from their names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I've held domains for quite some years now but still haven't properly answered the biggest question of all that every domainer should know the answer to:

Assuming I have good names...

Is it better for me to simply list my names, say at SEDO or other landing page, then get on with a life by enjoying sitting by the pool drinking margaritas all day and simply make my domaining experience/business a 'response to endusers only' existence?

or

Is it better for me to get up early every morning, keep a clear head, do research research research, find the world's most perfect buyers for my names and then work at getting the idea in their heads that they should be the new owner?

What is the experience/advice/knowledge/wisdom of others here at NP?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
in my view second one unless you have great names which will attract buyers on their own.

•••
The reason I asked the question is that I have previously spent a long period doing research, making contact, starting negotiations, getting full into negotiating, waiting for replies, stressing about the deal. Unsure if I am selling too low. Unsure if the potential buyer has any further to go, etc, etc

And then there's the actual transfer of name and money which tends to be the point when a deal can fall apart.

So, if I do all this research and negotiation for say, two months, and come away with $20k on a name I bought for $1000 I've priced myself at $8.5k a month. If a deal comes off.

On the flipside, I have also taken a complete break from domains for a similar time period, say during summer break, and simply dealt with incoming contacts. I'm always more accommodating during these periods, less stressed about a deal, and subsequently feel I get the price I actually want - not just the price I am prepared to take. Also I'm less inclined to negotiate because I've got other 'fun' things to do.

So, in the summer case, I have a vacation, or get on with something else that makes money, and the incoming domain sale is just icing on the cake. If I come away with $20k on a name I bought for $1000 I've now priced my domain activity at just the negotiation time (which would be less than 1 day) and the time it takes to make money/name exchange - or $19k for maybe five days effort.

It sometimes feels as though I do less work and end up getting more money. In this example eight to twelve times more money per day involved just for being more chilled.

Of course, you could say that I'm more likely to get a sale if I do the research and put the effort in. But am I more likely to get eight to ten times as many sales for my time?

Of course, this could be me trying to justify an extended period of not spending day after day doing research!

Your views are welcome.

•••
Great questions! I've just started domaining, and I'd like to learn this early on.

•••
Should domainers sit by the pool or get pro-active to make optimum profits from their names

Hi

the title/question, is kind of contrary in itself, because it basically answers it's own question

as it is widely known that "optimum" or maximum profit/roi per sale, is typically gained, when the buyer contacts the domain owner.

though one who is proactive may have higher volume of sales in comparison to the "pool sitters",
their margin of profit per sale, may not be as wide, as those who wait for offers.

then too, all that is predicated on the quality of the names held by each individual domainer, along with their experience, contacts and ability to research and negotiate, as well as knowing the value of their holdings.

imo.....

•••
Imo.. One keyword domain, one letter, two letters, three letters dot com... Sit by the pool

Craps.com, dot net.... be proactive

•••
I've held domains for quite some years now but still haven't properly answered the biggest question of all that every domainer should know the answer to:

Is it better for me to simply list my names, say at SEDO or other landing page, then get on with a life by enjoying sitting by the pool drinking margaritas all day and simply make my domaining experience/business a 'response to endusers only' existence?

or

Is it better for me to get up early every morning, keep a clear head, do research research research, find the world's most perfect buyers for my names and then work at getting the idea in their heads that they should be the new owner?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

•••
Many of my more average domains are priced at venues like GoDaddy. These are the normal sales that provide steady cash flow.

Then my better domains are not priced. I field inbound offers and will negotiate from there.

Brad

•••
Many of my more average domains are priced at venues like GoDaddy. These are the normal sales that provide steady cash flow.

Then my better domains are not priced. I field inbound offers and will negotiate from there.

Brad

Ditto, I'm doing exactly the same.

OP, if you don't receive constant inbound offers every week, then you should go with the 2nd option.

•••

or

HeHe.... I do my best work sitting by my pool.

So my answer is do both :xf.grin:

12.JPG

open

Last edited:
•••
All of my domains go to my own sales landers which produces commission free sales routed through an escrow service. I still list them all at Sedo, Afternic, Uniregistry etc... but 90%+ of all leads/sales happen direct as that's where I point them and most leads come straight from the landing page which produces name, email, phone, ip etc...

Quality of the domains will determine if you need to pound the pavement to sell them or if you can kick your feet up. Personally I prefer natural inbound leads as they lead to amazing ROI combined with getting them all listed in distribution networks which produces a small fraction of my sales.

Lower end domains=Buy It Now Pricing on your own site and listed in distribution networks
Gem domains=Make Offer as no urgency to sell a domain that receives offers every month
Outbound marketing=Haven't needed to use it since 2003 as the inbound leads produce a very healthy profit margin x-xx into x,xxx-xx,xxx on a consistent enough basis as ya don't need to sell a ton of domains with those margins, less work as well.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back