IT.COM

UDRP shopify.ai

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
Today the company Shopify started a dispute with me regarding the name shopify.ai .
I have many excellent arguments, which I will describe later.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Shopify was founded in 2006 by Tobias Lütke and Scott Lake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopify

shopify.ca registered February 20, 2006

Apparently, from this moment it is necessary to count registrations and acquisitions of domain names by the company Shopify.

The company representative writes: <“Shopify” is an invented word>
However, this word "shopify" follows the rules of English word formation and consists of a very widely used root "shop" and suffix "-ics".

For example, these words:

https://www.morewords.com/search?w=*ify

Last edited:
•••
What’s your point Igor?

•••
•••
The representative of the company greatly underestimates the imagination of domainers.
I am sure that the domainers 'invented' this word before the company Shopify.

•••
The representative of the company greatly underestimates the imagination of domainers.
I am sure that the domainers 'invented' this word before the company Shopify.
:ROFL:

•••
589 .ai registered domain names ending with -ify.
In particular,

addressify.ai
agrify.ai
assistify.ai
augmentify.ai
authentify.ai
bankify.ai
blogify.ai
bookify.ai
botify.ai
clothify.ai
cloudify.ai
coinify.ai
dataify.ai
estatify.ai
flexify.ai
goodify.ai
humanify.ai
indexify.ai
jobify.ai
lawify.ai
marketify.ai
newsify.ai
oakify.ai
patentify.ai
questify.ai
robotify.ai
snapify.ai
techify.ai
unspotify.ai
visionverify.ai
webify.ai

As you can see, these names are formed according to the same method as "shopify", that is, they consist of a very common root and suffix "-ics". The full analog is especially indicative - registered name "storify.ai".

Last edited:
•••
Even if that was the case, Shopify is TM'd and that's all that matters.

Last edited:
•••
Godspeed Igor

Screenshot 2023-02-16 230940.png

Last edited:
•••
Can you find the word shopify in a dictionary anywhere? It's not listed at the morewords link you supplied. It's not at dictionary.com or Merriam Webster.

•••
Can you find the word shopify in a dictionary anywhere? It's not listed at the morewords link you supplied. It's not at dictionary.com or Merriam Webster.
Is Facebook in Webster dictionary?

•••
The company bought these names, but did not win them back in disputes

Attachments

• Screenshot (82).png
    Screenshot (82).png
    182.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
•••
Is Facebook in Webster dictionary?
No. That's my point. It's not a dictionary word. It's invented, as Shopify states.

•••
•••
No. That's my point. It's not a dictionary word. It's invented, as Shopify states.
But perhaps not invented by them.
shopify.net registered December 22, 2005
Remember, the company was founded in 2006.

•••
But perhaps not invented by them.
shopify.net registered December 22, 2005
Remember, the company was founded in 2006.
You can have Shopify as long as it servers another purpose Igor

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Shopify is a made up word...The company made it up and called their business that before you registered the domain. It is their trademark.

Almost all trademarks are made up words or combinations. You probably could trademark Metaversify if you want to use it for a business and claim it for own if you really want to.

I think they are going to win this one.

•••
shopify will win ,shopify is not a dictionary word,you know this brand,you reg it late,

•••
Shopify is a made up word...The company made it up and called their business that before you registered the domain. It is their trademark.

Almost all trademarks are made up words or combinations. You probably could trademark Metaversify if you want to use it for a business and claim it for own if you really want to.

I think they are going to win this one.
Here it is important to prove that in this name the main component is not shopify, but ai. They may have developed the word "shopify", but I developed the domain zone .ai . Before me, almost no one used this zone. There are a bunch of registered shopify names that Shopify company is not interested in, for example https://www.mydomaincontact.com/index.php?domain_name=shopify.am , but this name is of interest to them because it contains AI.

Last edited:
•••
When Shopify was first an e-commerce platform, it was called Jaded Pixel. Shopify as we know it today was founded in Ottawa by Tobias Lütke, Daniel Weinand, and Scott Lake.

•••
•••
Back