Domain Empire

UDRP shopify.ai

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
Today the company Shopify started a dispute with me regarding the name shopify.ai .
I have many excellent arguments, which I will describe later.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
The domain name shopify.com has been registered on March 11, 2005.
If the company, even after its formation in 2006, was called Jaded Pixel, then it is very likely that this word was coined in 2005 by our colleague domainer, and not by the Shopify company.
I can agree that they developed this word, but their invention of this word is highly doubtful.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I can't believe this natural word wasn't invented by anyone (especially domainers) before 2005, but I can't prove it.

•••
I'm not so sure if it's helpful to discuss this particular case here on the forum.

•••
If you're going to sell it to them, ask for $1000, it's less than the cost of a UDRP. Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
If you're going to sell it to them, ask for $1000, it's less than the cost of a UDRP. Good luck.
They must have already paid fifteen hundred dollars for the complaint. And of course it could be. It seems they registered the name shopify.com.ai

Last edited:
•••
It is important for me to protect the independent value .ai.
.ai matter.

•••
It is important for me to protect the independent value .ai

You're free to protect anything you like. And companies have to protect their IP.

You have to come out of your dream and be prudent.

•••
You're free to protect anything you like. And companies have to protect their IP.

You have to come out of your dream and be prudent.
It is not clear why the third sentence.
Does it negate the first sentence?
A company has to come out of its dream and be prudent.

Last edited:
•••
"shopify" trademark application date: April 6, 2006
"shopify.ai" creation date: December 15, 2017

And they have 115 active TM registrations around the world at the moment.

If this were a dictionary term, we would be discussing it from a different angle.

•••
How to defend the indefensible I never know whether to admire or sympathize with those that go out on a limb with such registrations (or market purchases) There always seems to be an element of Devil may care in their justification. As if challenging the norm or acceptable is part of their personality. So OK I've lost that one, Now let me find another domain to stoke-the-fire. I'm sure that most could be quite good domainers in a normal sense. Do they just enjoy the attention. Maybe they sleep better knowing they are on somebodies radar for all the wrong reasons. Who knows.

Nothing quite like a bit of Vandalism to brighten up ones day

Last edited:
•••
There are 269 such words in MoreWords, and 589 .ai names with the suffix "ify" have already been registered. My name metaversify.ai has become 590s, and maybe even more such names thanks to this advertisement, later I will talk about it. The ability of domainers to form words is already becoming a scientific and legal fact, just like vocabulary in dictionaries. If a word consists of a common root and a suffix, taking into account the word-forming power of domainers, it can be equated to existing words to dictionaries.

Even if the company came up with the word "shopify", Neal Stephenson
came up with the word "Metaverse", so he can now claim all the domain names that contain this word?

Last edited:
•••
You're still trying to warp reality, but common sense doesn't work that way.

That's why you need to wake up from your deep sleep.

•••
Why is the company not fighting for the name shopify.am і shopify.vn and other similar names?

Because it is not so much the word that is important in the name as the addition of AI, that is, AI. This name collectively means "something to do with commerce and AI", not the name of this company plus AI.

Last edited:
•••
You're still trying to warp reality, but common sense doesn't work that way.

That's why you need to wake up from your deep sleep.
This is a meaningless statement that does not contain any arguments.
The same can be said about opponents with the same success.

Last edited:
•••
It is not known whether such a trademark is registered in Anguilla.

•••

@Igor Gabrielan

This thread is ridiculous. Your registration of this domain is the type of action that pits many against "domainers".

Just transfer the name to shopify and move on. You should have never registered this domain in the first place.

YOU KNOW ALL OF THIS - YOU KNOW BETTER.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Igor
Honestly, yes they want to take your domain, but you can see that Shopify is known mark worldwide, you should sell it at 5K so they not open the UDRP and pay it to ICANN.
There are better names out there, which Shopify even did not dream off. Are you interested to invest in the secret that caused your country to be in war? Need only 10 domainers to invest 10K each and find out the most important keywords in the world, if we are lucky we even may buy cheap the com, net and org from their stupid owners, until is not too late.

Last edited:
•••

@Igor Gabrielan

This thread is ridiculous. Your registration of this domain is the type of action that pits many against "domainers".

Just transfer the name to shopify and move on. You should have never registered this domain in the first place.

YOU KNOW ALL OF THIS.
How does this domain fundamentally differ from "storify.ai"? I am sure that the person who registered storify.ai would have also registered shopify.ai, if this name had been there at that time. He is not required to know about the existence of the company Shopify.

•••
Compared to 2005, the technique of domainers has improved a lot, and now words like "shopify" are registered automatically, as they consist of a very usable root and a standard suffix. I am sure that it would have been registered even if there was no company Shopify or if the domainer did not know about such a company.
Funny: company Stor.ai offered me 200 dollars for store.ai so that they would not lose their emails.

Last edited:
•••
Honestly, yes they want to take your domain, but you can see that Shopify is known mark worldwide, you should sell it at 5K so they not open the UDRP and pay it to ICANN.
It is impossible to sell this name now, it is blocked by Anguilla due to the complaint of the company representative. By the way, I never claimed that this name is for sale.

•••
There is such an anecdote.
The hunter is asked what will you do if you meet a wolf?
- I'll shoot!
What if you don't have a gun?
- I'll cut it.
What if you don't have a knife?
-I'm going to climb a tree.
What if there is no tree nearby?
-Who are you for, for me or for the wolf?

•••
Just received an email. I see the word "copyright" in the title.
I think - again!
Turns out they want to buy my name copyright.ai .

Last edited:
•••
This is interesting. This is not legal advice. Maybe @jberryhill will comment.

For domains in general:

Assuming the trademark has not be intentionally infringed upon:

If the complainant never existed, is it reasonable to believe that the domain has value to at least one other party?

If the answer to that question is yes, then the complainant is in line for a desirable domain (trademark is irrelevant if not being infringed upon).

This is called: Multiple Potential Buyers Rule (and has not yet been commented on by a lawyer so could be invalid)

If anyone can improve this rule or name...please do so.
----------------------------------------------
Something further: If the answer to the above question is "yes" then seems to be attempted theft.

This is not meant to be false hope for you...just something that needs to be pondered.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back