IT.COM

domains Shop owner is fighting Nike over the name JustSuccIt.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
After she said Nike filed an opposition to her trademark, the owner of an online succulent store, Just Succ It, is turning to TikTok for help fighting the sportswear giant

Andrea Galbreath recently went viral after posting about her legal dilemma on TikTok. She's using the platform to get advice from users in fighting a cease-and-desist from the sportswear giant.

β€œI didn’t know what to do ... I thought, well if I post something, someone’s going to leave a comment that will put me in the right direction,” Galbreath told NBC News. β€œAnd maybe someone has been through this before and they could say, β€˜This happened to me and this is what I did.’”

The Southern California-based small business owner first fell in love with the hardy plants while trying to make her front yard drought-tolerant by planting rows of succulents instead of grass. She thought of the name Just Succ It after β€œa couple of glasses of wine,” and decided to buy the domain name in case she wanted to start a succulent-themed blog.

read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is democracy manifest. What's the charge? Registering a domain? A succulent .COM domain?

•••
Nike dont have a chance because is Succ no do & they can s**"k....it himself Nike

Last edited:
•••
The list grows of these succy companies that waste their vast wealth on nonsense. I think there's a bit of a disconnect between the legal teams and the PR facing departments with these cases.

•••
I see zero correlation between "just succ it" (suck it) as a cheeky brand, and "just do it" as a motivational slogan, relating to sports. Joke lawsuit, IMO

Last edited:
•••
Nike please leave her alone and face front. 🀣

•••
Playing the devil's advocate Nike have earned their right to defend their trade marks and their P.R. team has a duty to do their jobs. A judge will decide if there is or isn't a case to answer. I'm interested to hear the outcome @Lox. If Just Succ It loses then I guess this clothing company will be in trouble too https://justwearit.co.za.

•••
This one is understandable, but just succ it? I didn't see any connection as they are in a different industry. IMAO

•••
Big fishes eat small fishes.
It's a nonsense lawsuit but they do it because they have money.

Why do they have some common senses and use the litigation money to help the poor instead of file lawsuit against the small companies who did nothing wrong.

This will make Nike look bad.
I will take all of my Nike shoes and throw them in the trash this week.
IMO

Last edited:
•••
Big fishes eat small fishes.
It's a nonsense lawsuit but they do it because they have money.
No that's not true. They are defending their trademark. Nobody actively seeks to waste money for no reason and I'm sure Nike are aware of the publicity cycle.
Why do they have some common senses and use the litigation money to help the poor instead of file lawsuit against the small companies who did nothing wrong.
Because they are a business and not a charity. Why don't you donate your money to the poor?
This will make Nike look bad.
No it won't. It will give them more publicity and they will sell more trainers this year than any other year in the history of the world.
I will take all of my Nike shoes and throw them in the trash this week.
That is not sensible behaviour. Give your smelly Nike trainers to poor people.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I'm sure this is all very good for her succulent business

•••
No that's not true. They are defending their trademark. Nobody actively seeks to waste money for no reason and I'm sure Nike are aware of the publicity cycle.

Because they are a business and not a charity. Why don't you donate your money to the poor?

No it won't. It will give them more publicity and they will sell more trainers this year than any other year in the history of the world.

That is not sensible behaviour. Give your smelly Nike trainers to poor people.

You must have too much time in your hand to analyze every single line of my opinion.

•••
Playing the devil's advocate Nike have earned their right to defend their trade marks and their P.R. team has a duty to do their jobs. A judge will decide if there is or isn't a case to answer. I'm interested to hear the outcome @Lox. If Just Succ It loses then I guess this clothing company will be in trouble too https://justwearit.co.za.
Just because you have the right doesn't mean you have to use it. It creates a snowball effect with unnecessary strain on small business owners, no regard to the common peeps. I'm with Johnn on this one.. if I had Nikes which I don't, into the garbage..

And that's what I mean, it won't do anything positive for PR because of the disconnect to begin with between departments. Good PR would be nipping it in the bud beforehand and putting something out like; "hey this cool new biz used the word Just and we hope they Just Succyceed!".

Good example on that other clothing company btw. Similar looking domains/slogans can live peacefully together.

Last edited:
•••
Just because you have the right doesn't mean you have to use it. It creates a snowball effect with unnecessary strain on small business owners, no regard to the common peeps. I'm with Johnn on this one.. if I had Nikes which I don't, into the garbage..

And that's what I mean, it won't do anything positive for PR because of the disconnect to begin with between departments. Good PR would be nipping it in the bud beforehand and putting something out like; "hey this cool new biz used the word Just and we hope they Just Succyceed!".

Good example on that other clothing company btw. Similar looking domains/slogans can live peacefully together.
Take your points on board, but just because one person has a billion dollars and the other person is homeless doesn't mean you should automatically take sides with the homeless person on all issues. I am not saying Nike or the trader are right or wrong. I'm saying it's for a professionally qualified judge to decide, and I'm saying that EVERYONE who feels their trademark has been infringed has a right to take legal action to protect their trademarks. You also have a right to protest, which you're all doing.

•••
You must have too much time in your hand to analyze every single line of my opinion.
No, I just type fast bro :xf.wink:

•••

NIke HAS to sue these companies. you realize what trademark dilution is? if nike does not fight them, they risk losing the trademark entirely. the "bad PR' only comes from ignorant people who dont know the business risks of trademark dilution from not actively defending your trademark.

•••
This is democracy manifest. What's the charge? Registering a domain? A succulent .COM domain?
Very good. Hard to use that reference but you've managed it!

I'm sure they probably wanted succit.com and are now paying the price.

•••
Take your points on board, but just because one person has a billion dollars and the other person is homeless doesn't mean you should automatically take sides with the homeless person on all issues. I am not saying Nike or the trader are right or wrong. I'm saying it's for a professionally qualified judge to decide, and I'm saying that EVERYONE who feels their trademark has been infringed has a right to take legal action to protect their trademarks. You also have a right to protest, which you're all doing.
I take sides with what's right. This one's clear as day to me.

•••
I take sides with what's right. This one's clear as day to me.
it would be right for the small business to not steal nike's catch phrase

•••
it would be right for the small business to not steal nike's catch phrase
I get your point. I just don't think there's any danger of brand confusion here, Nike doesn't deal in gardening and this business owner made up a phrase to perfectly describe their intent and registered the corresponding domain.

I am all for people getting inspired by those that came before them.. we are quickly running out of options aren't we? It is disappointing when fellow domainers don't support something like this to be honest and rather go with the all-encompassing mentality of entitled TM holders.

•••
The owner is not a cyber squatter. They have their own business and it has nothing to do with Nike products.
Why don't Nike JustSuckIt?

•••
🀣 LMAO this lawsuit is a joke.

5441a1fc-3e77-47d5-be67-aaf6d49b8c03_text.gif

•••
JustSucc & JustSucculent are both available to be registered in King.

•••
JustSucc & JustSucculent are both available to be registered in King.
nike would win the UDRP case

a part of me thinks this might be a publicity stunt by the lady.

Last edited:
•••
>nike would win the UDRP case

well at least gosuccyourself.com is available

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back