IT.COM

discuss Shoes.com sold for $9M and doesn't resolve!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Shoes.com sold for $9 million in 2017.
When I try to open the website, it says Forbidden.

At that price, someone is not making an investment to resell, definitely!!

So, you buy a domain for $9 million which can't be sold for a higher price and then don't build it!

Ain't you wasting your money!?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That particular site resolves for me but many expensive domains go unused for long periods. I have never understood it. Like if you pay $1 million for a name, probably your cost of money is the order of 4.5% so it is like a cost of $45,000 per year, not a trivial amount unless it is a huge business.

If you look at the NameBio top 20 sales of all time (all $3.6 million and up) one is listed for sale, three are used for redirection, one shows a 'coming soon' lander, one is under used by a company recovering from going out of business and back in, two others are not in use, and 12 of the names have developed content. (details here)

Bob

•••
•••
I think there are legitimate cases where a major sale is made for protective or long term uncertain plans, but still I am surprised how many domain names are sold and not used. This is by no means restricted to high value sales. A surprising number of domain names sold in $$$$ don't seem to get used in a 12 month period (I have run a bit of data but not yet ready to write it up, but vast majority are not in use).
Bob

•••
I think there are legitimate cases where a major sale is made for protective or long term uncertain plans, but still I am surprised how many domain names are sold and not used. This is by no means restricted to high value sales. A surprising number of domain names sold in $$$$ don't seem to get used in a 12 month period (I have run a bit of data but not yet ready to write it up, but vast majority are not in use).
Bob

Because anyone can buy a domain name.. but only a few people can develop it.

It's easy to point, click, buy. But no one has time to oversee a web development team.

U see it with us domainers too. Most domains for sale don't resolve. And that's why undeveloped and efty are so popular. Because we can't even develop our own stuff XD.

•••
Bob

That's because most of the domains being bought and sold, volume wise, are resellers and investors.

Especially prevalent in 3L, 4L and other liquid names.

•••
As mentioned, it was purchased by Jet.com, a subsidiary of Walmart - The world's largest company by revenue.

Nine million bucks, or 70 million for the entire company, is a huge amount of money, but if there is a company that can afford it, it’s Walmart. ;)

Additional information: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoes.com

•••
What is amazing about both these domains Jet.com, and Shoes.com they both came out of Vancouver region, where guys like Chernoff, F Schilling, K Ham, R Lau, Yun Ye etc... all got their start.

•••
•••
@Arpit131 it shows the full built site now. You can buy "shoes" there lol.
Check it out

•••
Resolves fine for me

20190313_074954.jpg

•••
That particular site resolves for me but many expensive domains go unused for long periods. I have never understood it. Like if you pay $1 million for a name, probably your cost of money is the order of 4.5% so it is like a cost of $45,000 per year, not a trivial amount unless it is a huge business.

If you look at the NameBio top 20 sales of all time (all $3.6 million and up) one is listed for sale, three are used for redirection, one shows a 'coming soon' lander, one is under used by a company recovering from going out of business and back in, two others are not in use, and 12 of the names have developed content. (details here)

Bob
That is insightful.
I don't understand the reason either! Perhaps an entrepreneur running a multimillion dollar company can throw more light on this!

•••
Shoes .com site will work if you are viewing from America I believe. They have IP set so if you view from EU region it will show a message, US will show full site and other regions it may show blocked.

•••
Ps. It resolves fine in Thailand. A shame that I only use flip flops. :xf.cool::xf.wink:

•••
It depends on your IP location.

•••
Look forward to the write up about unused domains.

T A X E S dot com 250k January sale parked

O N C O L O G I S T dot com 14k parked

I N S P E C T I O N dot com. 300k reported as sold to end user and parked one year recently explained for a future project? Was redirected for a short time to buyer.

L E A D S dot com 435k parked

S T O P dot com 110k does not resolve

C R E T E dot com parking page

I N V E S T I N G M O N E Y dot com does not resolve 55k

T R A V E L dot A G E N C Y gd parking page

C H O C O L A T E dot C o m reported sold recently 7 figure but still points to brokers ad page.

C H A T S I T E S dot com 21k. Parked.

At least C A L I F O R N I A dot com has a coming soon page.

O L dot com 900k a resolves to a string of a bunch of stupid betting redirects.

•••
S M A R T D R U G S, C O O R D I N A T I ON, A B S ENC E, w i p e o u t,
r e p o s s e s s i o n, t r a c e r o u t e, a b d u l, m y w e b s i t e, etc. parked or for resale. H o l o f o r m, a r c u s, s e o s e r v i c e, b a t t a l i o n, d o w n s i z e

•••
S U P E R resolves but a game place holder like website
F I L E S placeholder non working splash page, launching 2019

I n c e p t i o n parked 550k

S t r e n g th has site, but every product seems to be out of stock. Clicked on 5.

K u s h 500k, has a coming soon page, the smoking graphic is cool.

P l a n t s coming soon

C a l c u l a t o r 250k, and has a 1990’s look with calculators says 1996-current

H y b r i d 190 parked for sale

D E P O S I T 170k brokerage listed for sale

S o u l m a t e 160k over a year ago. Coming soon!

•••
Its a forbidden code for me :P

They have an SSL certificate in place so might be still working on something wonderful :)

•••
•••
•••
I get the below.......
logo.png

Effective May 14th, 2018, we will no longer offer products to EU/EEA countries until we implement new features to adapt to the European Union Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Customer Service: +1-617-451-2880

•••
Remember that guy who had shoes.xyz and said he's now a millionaire too :tightlyclosedeyes:

•••
Most domains for sale don't resolve.
Except in cases where they don't want to officially say a domain name is for sale, I never understood why people with domain names for sale don't have them resolve. It is trivial to set up an Undeveloped lander and go in and change two DNS settings at your registrar so that when someone enters the domain name it resolves to their attractive landers.

I do agree with your point that for most the time, skill and hassle of setting up their own site is not done. Just never understood those who also don't use landers.

Last edited:
•••
And i read that cooking(dot)com was also released for sale today.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back