Dynadot

discuss Sharing & Tracking new gTLD Drops - Thoughts?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This thread will be for sharing and tracking new gTLD drops. Accelerating everyday. :)

As of today...

https://namestat.org/s/newgtld-summary

78984_d1c0ee46f4bdae13468584a2334299c1.png

Thoughts and opinions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes!

its inevitable, how many .com domains do you know and how many .top or .vip or .college domains do you know? Unless they are marketed to death they will fail. :(
I

•••
•••
New gTLDs considered what? .XXX on, or the newest crop from 2014 on?

Thanks.

edit: NM, visited the link. It is the newest batch 2014 on. :)

Last edited:
•••
.XYZ from NtldStats, all red. :)

xyz stat august.png
xyz stats august 2.png

•••

dropping number doesn't show anything, this is actually xyz fault by marketing xyz in very stupid way, last year xyz had 0.99 offer to register domain, they also have 24 hrs of free registration , so many people purchased so many stupid names that they should have not registered in the first place, so now when it comes to renew these names, they figured 10 dollars renewals per domains doesnt not add up
i am not defending xyz by any means but i just want to say dropping numbers doesn't show the whole picture

thanks

•••
I agree with the points raised by amirp about essentially .xyz (and many other new gTLD) numbers meaning relatively little - when they are priced too low for initial regs lots of people register them without being too serious (OK I've done that!), then a year later, surprise, they don't get renewed now price is high, and numbers go down.

I really wish we could get some stability in the registration/renew prices of new gTLDs. I think they need to have stable buy and renew prices that are slightly lower than .com. Maybe a blanket $5/year or something like that The premium renew prices just add uncertainty and in my opinion should disappear. If they want to hold some at higher initial sales prices, fine, but don't tack on differential renew prices for different names.

I think more meaningful measures of whether a new gTLD is having success:
(a) Are they actually being used by businesses/organizations?
(b) Is general public knowledge, trust and acceptance growing for the new gTLDs (including cc ones for general use)?
(c) Are they fetching at least somewhat reasonable prices on the resale market?
(d) Are they finding new uses, such as domain name phrases for marketing campaigns?

I would also like some way of enforcing that a TLD should reflect what you actually are (e.g. .com only if a real business, .science if it has something to do with science, .org if you are really an organization), but that is a dream rant I know!

Thanks for listening, and thanks to everyone contributing to the discussion!

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back