domains Selling early and leaving $1.3 billion on the table

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Many early domain name investors sold a name way too early or knew of someone else who was not going to pay for a domain registration back in the day. Years ago I was talking to someone who was into domain names real early and he said a friend at one time was basically on a suicide watch. He owned some great domain names when they were free. When registration fees were introduced he balked … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, it's a waiting game and sometimes you have to be prepared to sit tight and just keep on coughing up cash year after year on renewals.

You need to survive in the meantime, and sometimes a good meal or paying the rent is more important than speculative earnings 10 or 20-years down the track.

Last edited:
•••
Same happened with early bitcoin investors (unfortunately me) when BTC was less than a $ value

•••
so what happened to the other (roughly) 20,000 he owned/owns?

" Malmi mined roughly 55,000 coins between 2009 and 2010 when the price was almost zero. Malmi said that he ended up liquidating 5,050 BTC for $5 in October 2009, and losing 30,000 BTC through one of the first Bitcoin exchanges he ran "

•••
Domains? Bitcoins? Imagine selling Alaska for $7.2 million, how much is it worth now? :whistle:

There are pros and cons to selling and to holding. No point in just holding to everything until you die.

•••
I can't imagine feeling that sad about letting stuff go that was basically worthless at the time. It's like me feeling sad that I didn't invent the internet.

If you let something go and you've put lots of thought and effort into it over many years then I could understand.

•••
I can't imagine feeling that sad about letting stuff go that was basically worthless at the time. It's like me feeling sad that I didn't invent the internet.

If you let something go and you've put lots of thought and effort into it over many years then I could understand.

Well put!

•••

Yeah, I've let go so many good domains over the years that I'm basically immune, any regret vanishes after one or two days. :xf.grin: Even faster when I think of how much I earned because *others* did the same. :whistle:

But if one of my ex-domains sold for a billion, I might be sad for a bit longer. :xf.rolleyes:

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I've let go so many good domains over the years that I'm basically immune, any regret vanishes after one or two days. :xf.grin: Even faster when I think of how much I earned because *others* did the same. :whistle:

But if one of my ex-domains sold for a billion, I might be sad for a bit longer. :xf.rolleyes:

True.

This is a "subjective valuation" business. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Recently there was a thread on 2-word sale for 50K. Previous owner dropped it after holding for a decade+.

No regrets. Move on.

•••
•••
True.

This is a "subjective valuation" business. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Recently there was a thread on 2-word sale for 50K. Previous owner dropped it after holding for a decade+.

No regrets. Move on.
Well said :)

A sale is better than no sale.. No one knows what future look likes.. we all speculate here.. So there is no point of regretting on what happened in the past.. Past data give the intelligence for the future decisions..

Last edited:
•••
I was an early adopter as well, I started buying it 2012. If I kept those coin I had, I would be sitting 10 millions today. But this is life, it would happen more thn once.

•••
I'm sure we all have let millions go by (probably just tens of thousands for me)

Why on earth did I give credence to UK (better keywords) and let my coms go by- The shame of it

Last edited:
•••
And then all the domain names are not renewed?
There's a lot going on around me

•••
Ive been buying gtlds and 5L .coms and 2 keyword .coms for reg fee for approx 8 years ish now when ive had the odd £10 here and there etc

All but one broker turned me down saying my domains have no value

Used to get 99p offers etc

Been told countless times stop wasting your money buying domain names

(Best thing i ever did)

Built my own portfolio of shares in over 200 different diversified stocks on the stockmarket in a practice account

Kept being told but its only pretend money etc etc

Taught myself how to swing trade options on the stockmarket and how to day trade the stockmarket in a practice acount but told its only a practice acount etc lol

Lost about 60 domains in a domain name registrar account this year and had to watch them expire and try to re buy them for reg fee

Built another portfolio for reg fee

And have owned some of the worlds best gtlds but was ahead of the curve etc

But it can get expensive continually funding portfolios from my bsck pocket and not sales etc

Which is why many have failed over the years in bitcoin and domains and the stockmarket etc

And there is still no instant liquidity in domain names

Eg aperson cannot tale adomain name to a pawnbrokers in the uk and pawn or sell a domain name for cash

In a digital era etc

All good fun lol

•••
What is everyone talking about I would be pissed. Missing opportunities is a lot harder to cope with than failing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back