Dynadot

discuss Selling a domain - Do they need to be hosted?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gazzafat

Established Member
Impact
Hi there,

I've recently had a hosting plan expire. Because I was on a hosting plan which allowed me to host up to ten websites, whereas in reality I only have three actual live sites I use, I reserved the rest to host domains I wanted to sell. The question is, do I even need to have the domains I want to sell hosted? If not I'll just renew my hosting plan with 3 hosted sites instead of ten.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Of course you don't need to host your names, or you can use customised registrar landing pages.

What I think is a better alternative is what I call Fox Foo - you create a sub-directory on your primary domain, and you use URL forwarding to send your traffic to that directory. There is a bit more to Fox Foo actually, for example you can use a common css library for all the domain names. This allows you to host maybe a couple of hundred names on a single domain hosting plan.

•••
Is there a guide or article on this, when i googled Fox Foo it just comes up with results related to Fox Sports...

Of course you don't need to host your names, or you can use customised registrar landing pages.

What I think is a better alternative is what I call Fox Foo - you create a sub-directory on your primary domain, and you use URL forwarding to send your traffic to that directory. There is a bit more to Fox Foo actually, for example you can use a common css library for all the domain names. This allows you to host maybe a couple of hundred names on a single domain hosting plan.

•••
Apologies - FoxFoo.com is my site, and I've just started to put it together. I posted a couple of articles here, but I came under attack, so I stopped.
I put a preliminary article on my blog - http://namestag.com/index.php/projects/fox-foo-domain-name-sales
I'm still honing the final details, but the URL forwarding I mentioned is pretty straightforward, and it saves you hosting costs. The Fox Foo concept is a lot more detailed, and the idea is to keep some of the traffic that you picked up after you have sold the name. This helps to justify the time spent in putting together the pages for the site.

•••
•••
Great, I'll have a look shortly, thanks!

Apologies - FoxFoo.com is my site, and I've just started to put it together. I posted a couple of articles here, but I came under attack, so I stopped.
I put a preliminary article on my blog- I'm still honing the final details, but the URL forwarding I mentioned is pretty straightforward, and it saves you hosting costs. The Fox Foo concept is a lot more detailed, and the idea is to keep some of the traffic that you picked up after you have sold the name. This helps to justify the time spent in putting together the pages for the site.

•••
If you are serious about domaining you should into a reseller account.
With a reseller account for 4-10 USD/month you can host basically infinite websites that you have.
If you have more than 2-3 website it's a good investment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back