IT.COM

Selling a Domain - Do I need to pay for a DIGITAL CERTIFICATE?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Austin Alig

Impact
Hey guys, hoping you might be able to answer a relatively simple (I think) question I have, regarding the sale of a premium domain of mine.

I received an email from what appears to be a serious investor who wants to buy one of my domains. The offer I made to this investor was $9,500 USD. We talked things through, and he is willing to pay this amount for my domain.

This is the VERY FIRST domain name I have ever sold. He asked me for a screenshot of my domain account, which lists that I am in fact the original owner of this domain, and he also additionally asked me to order a digital certificate before he was to buy the domain.

Here is what he asked of me via email:

"1. Screenshot of your domain account. It will prove you are a legitimate owner.

2. Domain certification from Domain Tools Certificate.

This certificate includes two essential things: an appraisal of the market price and a trademark infringement verification.

My client does not want to overpay so he needs a manual valuation of your domain made by industry experts he trusts. But if the appraised value in your certificate comes higher he will increase our offer accordingly. He also needs to know your domain has no trademark problems."

He then went on after I replied to him, stating this:

"I can help you with step by step instructions. I'm glad to help you. Please order the certification via this link

tools(dot)digital-certificates(dot)net/appraisal_order(dot)htm

It will take only 2 minutes of your time to order it."

My question is this - do I actually need to buy this digital certificate before I can sell the domain?
This investor seems completely legit, but scammers also seem legit.
I am 100% new to this whole reselling domains business.
So, to be honest, any help would be critically important in my decision making process from here on out.
Thanks guys.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ignore. This is a scam to buy the appraisal.

•••
Yes, this is a well known scam. Never buy an appraisal or certificate.

•••
Thank you both, I was about to jump the gun on this one. Couldn't be more grateful for your responses.

•••
Sometimes I play a joke on these people, asking them to buy the domain that they offer x,xxx-xx,xxx for $20-$100 (depending on the domain) and use Paypal. They disappear.

Last edited:
•••
10000% scam my folk.i didn't be clear?1000000000000% disgusting scam :)take care of...

•••
I agree with @Nerevar, I usually tell these scammers, that they can buy the domain for the appraisal cost(79 euros). Which if it was a serious buyer, they would jump on that. However, they will not respond.

•••
the worst thing is that at the beginning you feel happy because you have offers for your domains.then, you think: something that shines, is not necessarily gold...

•••
Yes, I guarantee 100% it's a scam. Ignore it :)

•••
200% scam.. never trust him.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back