Dynadot

discuss Sellers vastly increasing asking price the moment they get a whiff of interest...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
Like many, I periodically browse Sedo, looking for BIN bargains. Not normally much, but you find a few reasonably priced, quality domains that are of interest to a reseller.

The last few times I've done this, within 24 hours of me finding and viewing the domain, the price has been increased dramatically.

For example:

marvelously.com was on BIN for $99. Not a great name, hard to spell and a bit clunky, but was interested for $99. When I went back the next day it's been increased to $999.

boldly.org was available for around $600. I was thinking about using it for a project, but when I went back the next day the price is now $3000.

Not really that interested in either of them, and certainly not going to pay those prices. Which is fine - people can price whatever they like. But just seems like people get a little too excited and end up missing out on sales.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think most of us do increase or decrease the price of our domain names from time to time.

In my opinion on Sedo and other marketplace people price their names for end-user so it will be very rare that you get some good name at reseller price on that marketplace.

There are other places like NameLiquidate, DNWE and even here on Namepros where you can buy names at reseller price.

Imo

•••
I think the new prices are in line with the names being versions of dictionary words. They were probably previously priced too low. Would you sell a similar name for $99? I know everyone wants a deal but a fellow domainer should understand that $99 is pretty much giving a name away if its any good.

Most names I see that I like have a $500 to $1000 minimum offer or higher. don’t blame anyone for any price adjustment. As you said— its their name.

As far as people raising prices based on hits to the names that is to occasionally be expected too. You might not think they are worth the increased amounts which is fine but its also fine for a person to raise and lower prices at any time.

Other domainers don’t exist to please domainers. Or to sell to other domainers. They exist to make money and the best amount they can get on any individual name is their choosing.

Dropping names like that could reach around 500 or more at auction. I see it happen all the time. You can’t really blame anyone for wanting something close to what it could get on the drop.

•••
They just get sick of the 10% offers they advertise $100 they get consistent $10 offers. They know to finally get the $100 offer from the pests is to advertise it at $1000.

•••
I've learned the hard way that the best time to buy " it " is when you first see it or very soon thereafter.

That is something I learned over the years that always applied to my time when I was collecting select
O.P. and rare books and occasional select antiques and of course, domains!

Wait and things get sold or, prices climb upward.

With the 99.00 BIN domain you were interested in, waiting 24 hours to go back likely allowed an
" alert " or a " viewer notice " to tell the seller someone may have an interest in that name.

And the price was " jacked up" presumably based on the name view notice.

That was a pretty big bump, 10Xs the BIN so possibly the seller also thought it was priced too low for fair market value regardless of a name view.

•••
Completely respect that people can charge what they like. I guess my view has always been to sell as much as I can for a reasonable profit, rather than holding out for a big win. But each to their own.

I can understand trying your luck with a small increase, but a 10x increase just seems like taking the mickey. But hey ho... I wish them luck

•••
I recently had a domain + website loads of WP content I decided for some quick attention to put it up specifying domain only and got some offers but when I blocked the content from being copied and rejecting offers I just got abused. Some people just act like asses. So I changed prices too just to be that ass also. I don't want to be trying to move files as know it will crash every time as all to big to move if I sell domain only it is domain only.

Last edited:
•••
I've learned the hard way that the best time to buy " it " is when you first see it or very soon thereafter.

That is something I learned over the years that always applied to my time when I was collecting select
O.P. and rare books and occasional select antiques and of course, domains!

Wait and things get sold or, prices climb upward.

With the 99.00 BIN domain you were interested in, waiting 24 hours to go back likely allowed an
" alert " or a " viewer notice " to tell the seller someone may have an interest in that name.

And the price was " jacked up" presumably based on the name view notice.

That was a pretty big bump, 10Xs the BIN so possibly the seller also thought it was priced too low for fair market value regardless of a name view.

Sedo has no such feature lol. But does have a views counter. Which tells something even sadder.

That means someone is attentively watching the counter go from zero go 1 view or 150 to 151 and then increasing the price.

Who the hell has the time for that? Either that or they have some kind of monitoring script or service to watch all their domains at sedo for view count to alert them and then they change price. Pretty slick actually.

I'll put that in my to do list.

That could be made via hired gun at freelancer.

Hmm learned something new by my own. Lol

•••
Some people just act like asses. So I changed prices too just to be that ass also.

True that! I've got a pretty good name I've had for a while and got an inquiry on it about a month ago. The min offer was set at 500 with a bin of 2500. Of course they offered 500 so when I did my research on their ip, name, etc it seems they opened a business a couple of years ago using the same name. The business, according to the current poorly named site, is on the verge of opening 3 more locations and has gone from 4 employees at the start to about 30. I very politely responded that I had not looked at pricing on that name in years and it seems low at 2500, but because I needed funds that day I would take 2200 and I made the bin that price. They countered with a 505 offer.. Once more I sent an email saying what I said previously and they countered with 506. Keep in mind this is a perfect match to all their signage inside and out, marketing material, logo, etc. So my last email let them know I did not enjoy their negotiation tactics and that if they did not take the name at 2200 I would increase the name 500 a day from the 2200 it was priced at until it reached its retail value of 6000. He sent a series of rude rambling emails...bottom line the name is priced at 6000 now and I will renew it until my face falls off due to old age before I reduce the price! :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Its a normal ,but you could search other chance by make an offer (if available ) or try again in another days.

•••
i brought my prices down on sedo, just to see if i could get a sale. Havent got one there recently. hmmm. :)

•••
Owner of marvelously is likely a member here. I’ll pay the $99 if they happen to see this post.

•••
"Oh no, I almost sold a name for my exact asking price, better sabotage it."

•••
On BrandBucket. The domain name marvelously.com is for sale. A simply wonderful and marvelous name. $2870 USD

•••
True that! I've got a pretty good name I've had for a while and got an inquiry on it about a month ago. The min offer was set at 500 with a bin of 2500. Of course they offered 500 so when I did my research on their ip, name, etc it seems they opened a business a couple of years ago using the same name. The business, according to the current poorly named site, is on the verge of opening 3 more locations and has gone from 4 employees at the start to about 30. I very politely responded that I had not looked at pricing on that name in years and it seems low at 2500, but because I needed funds that day I would take 2200 and I made the bin that price. They countered with a 505 offer.. Once more I sent an email saying what I said previously and they countered with 506. Keep in mind this is a perfect match to all their signage inside and out, marketing material, logo, etc. So my last email let them know I did not enjoy their negotiation tactics and that if they did not take the name at 2200 I would increase the name 500 a day from the 2200 it was priced at until it reached its retail value of 6000. He sent a series of rude rambling emails...bottom line the name is priced at 6000 now and I will renew it until my face falls off due to old age before I reduce the price! :xf.smile:

All the best. The day will come

•••
Why are you complaining? You would have done the same. Besides, there is no way someone will sell that name for $99. Doesnt make sense at all.

•••
They were not serious at all. Increasing $1 every time is not serious and you should have ended the negotiations from the get go.

•••
Why are you complaining? You would have done the same. Besides, there is no way someone will sell that name for $99. Doesnt make sense at all.
True that no one want to sell the name for $99 on a platform meant for end-user.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back