Dynadot

question Sell Domain Under 60 Days

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

adaaja98

Established Member
Impact
Im new in domain industry, i bought new domain and auction membership at Godaddy. But i just read that you can't transfer your domain under 60 days after purchase. Is that mean i can't sell my domain before 60 days after i buy my domain?

Is other registrar has the same rule?

How can people make money and good cash flow every month with that 60 days rule?

Please help me...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Within the first 60 days, you can "push" it to another GoDaddy account, you just can't move it away from GoDaddy. You can still sell it, it's just that whoever buys it will have to keep it at GoDaddy.

This can potentially have a minor impact on sales (I avoid buying names that I can't transfer away from certain registrars), but generally speaking it's nothing to worry too much about.

•••
Use searchbox...
Many such threads where it was explained many times.

•••
Most domains that a bought are not sold in the first 60 days. People often have to wait months/years to sell their names so the 60 day rules is often not an issue. This is a common trap that new domainers fall into, thinking they can buy a name and resell it the following week or month.

•••
Within the first 60 days, you can "push" it to another GoDaddy account, you just can't move it away from GoDaddy. You can still sell it, it's just that whoever buys it will have to keep it at GoDaddy.

This can potentially have a minor impact on sales (I avoid buying names that I can't transfer away from certain registrars), but generally speaking it's nothing to worry too much about.

Thanks for your answer. Does all registrar has the same rule?

•••
This rule is NOT mandatory by ICANN.
Each registry/registrar can apply it optionally.

•••
Most domains that a bought are not sold in the first 60 days. People often have to wait months/years to sell their names so the 60 day rules is often not an issue. This is a common trap that new domainers fall into, thinking they can buy a name and resell it the following week or month.

Yeah, im one of them who fall into this trap. Maybe i can't get return on investment as fast as i think

•••
Usually nobody rejects GoDaddy... if we are talking about endusers.
Push the domain into the buyer or escrow account and that's all.

•••
In other words...
60 days lock - prevents only the transfer to another registrars (EXTERNAL transfer).
But within current registrar you can move/push it at any time (INTERNAL transfer).

•••
In other words...
60 days lock - prevents only the transfer to another registrars (EXTERNAL transfer).
But within current registrar you can move/push it at any time (INTERNAL transfer).
Thank you, now i understand (y)

•••
This rule is NOT mandatory by ICANN.
Each registry/registrar can apply it optionally.

Do you know if the rule is optimal when it comes to transfers too, or just fresh registrations?

I was thinking of moving a stack of names over to Porkbun and asked them if the 60 day hold could be waived in the event that I sold any of those names and the buyer wanted an auth code, they told me their hands were tied.

•••
•••
•••
@Peak.Domains
A few years already - Verisign (.com/.net) 100% doesn't lock the domains after previous transfer.
And 95% after initial registration (I can't confirm 100% because I didn't try).
So if it is not locked by your registrar due to their own policy - then no any problems to transfer-out below 60 days.

Last edited:
•••
As was mentioned by @Dynadot previously - they completely rely on the corresponding registries...
So you may try to register any .com there and then transfer-out it after 1 week or so...
And notify me about your results...
Thanks.

•••
Also you should know that some registrars can't even initiate the transfer-in - if domain is less than 60 days old...
I had these abnormal issues with @Dynadot and @namesilo, were no any problems with LogicBoxes based registrars.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back