IT.COM

advice How do you deal with 60 days lock?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
When you buy or register a new domain, how do you deal with the 60 days lock?
Do you wait 60 days before offering the domain for sale or in auction?
Or do you just list it and if sold before 60 days you tell the seller to make account at the domain registrar?

Thanks,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My experience is that you can do nothing about it if you are listing on Sedo as far as verifying that the site is yours. I have been told by NameSilo that it is the same with Afternic. But you can list it on Flippa and GoDaddy. The stipulation is that if you sell the domain before the two months, the buyer has to keep it with the registrar that you bought the domain from for the complete 60 days before he or she can transfer it. ICANN rules.

•••
Superb posts by @Rob Monster of the Epik registrar:

Registrars can override the 60 day lock for domains more than 60 days old.
Losing registrar has to ACK the domain. Most non-jerk registrars will ACK a domain for a known customer. The reason it exists is to prevent a daisy-chain of fraudulent conveyance for a stolen domain.

(y)

•••
Thanks for sharing that from Epik @Addison, and also the background @dodgerzdad provided re Sedo and Afternic. Also thanks for OP @Ostrados.

I realize the question whether to list or not within 60 day period is arguable. Personally what I do is for the first 60 days I may list it on my own website (with a note that it is push only) or a registrar marketplace, but I do not list it on other marketplaces during that period. If you do list I think you should do so during that period without BIN, so the lock can be explained BEFORE a buyer makes a purchase. If buying through a registrar marketplace the user already has an account there and the domain is transferred so no issue. I think I have only once sold a domain name within the 60 day period and it was at a registrar marketplace.

I realize that the lock does not hinder immediate use of the domain name by the new user, but some end users only want to deal with their existing registrar or one they have heard of. I think the 60 day lock is most limiting in that regard when your domains are with a lesser known registrar.

Bob

•••
Dont transfer, push the domain into an account with the same registrar.
Be upfront and make sure they have an account with the registrar before bidding or making an offer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back