NameSilo

Self Listed Marketplace vs Third Party

Labeled as question in Domain Buying and Selling Discussion, started by ddzc, Oct 7, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. ddzc

ddzc Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, has anyone performed any sort of A/B testing or noticed more offers and sales when having your domains listed on a site like dan.com/godaddy (along with the DNS redirect), as opposed to hosting your own marketplace website and having the domains for sale on your own platform with the DNS pointing to your personal sales page?

I'm curious if users land on a random site with a domain for sale, do they look for alternative immediately on a widely known marketplace, or will they go the extra step to inquire?

Curious to know what others experiences looked like.

Thanks

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. lock

lock Searchrz.com VIP

Self hosting is just that so it is more than option of hosting domain lander. Any blog will do more than parked domains in traffic. Most domains with small amount of work will easily out perform a normal lander for traffic but probably could learn some lessons from marketplace landers for simplicity or design. Domains might help with type in and exact match but it trickles till you give content juice.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  3. davidc1

davidc1 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Which payment processor would be nice to use in case of your self host your domains ?

4. lock

lock Searchrz.com VIP

I have used marketplaces and have given away some of pie and paypal but seems dan could be a good option low fee if bring client.

5. satsdifference.com

satsdifference.com Love God Love Life

Dan! Sedo? = what's the URL again to list all your domains in one link? (Old school usage)

6. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

7. ohyeahdomainer

ohyeahdomainer Established Member

the main thing to consider is that Dan, Sedo and co already have traffic. How are you going to drive prospects to your self hosted marketplace?
    It's like having a shop in a busy mall or in a deserted area...

8. satsdifference.com

also their personal advancing:

for ex: my latest sale for 15k happened fast money because I had it listed on godadddyAfternic all 25k along time-ago. since that, i received an email from their afternic agent On NEGOTIATED for less 15k acceptable to me and more than i coulda even dreamed to ask for myself! !!

- have a special day

9. satsdifference.com

and i wasn't about to renew that domain: lesson (list `em)

10. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Contributor VIP

I think, over the years, I've tried/tested them all.

The bottom line is: whatever you have your name pointed is where it will likely sell. Using a platform that has its own branding and links at the top and bottom of a page to search for 'other' domains (other than from within your own portfolio) is only giving your visitor a chance to buy from someone else.

Learn how to price your domains, put that fixed price (sometimes with make offer as needed) and give the customer as many payment options as possible.

11. VadimK Iberica

VadimK Iberica Established Member

Exactly as said before - these marketplaces have the traffic already, people are going shopping there like to shopping malls, checking different options - exact, similar, alternatives, playing with words etc - all your names can be seen there for such people.
    If you want to create your own marketplace - it's totally possible, but will take lots of time, effort and SEO. And starting to get quality traffic will be an even more complicated task.
    And still you can perfectly do both at the same time - have your portfolios on these marketplaces while developing your own platform.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

For Dan the structure is:
    https://dan.com/domain-seller/your-name?
    Need to insert your own your-name, of course. For me my seller name is my two word name, and I need to use a dash between them where the space is for it to work.

You can if you wish also include descriptors to show only ones with a certain TLD, price range, etc. e.g. this structure shows just the .org names in my portfolio, ordered by length. I would make it a link, but not sure if allowed to by NamePros rules, but hopefully showing it as example to answer your question is allowed.

https://dan.com/domain-seller/robert-hawkes?&tld[]=org&order_by=length-asc

Bob

13. Josytal

Josytal Top Contributor VIP

I combine the two. I don't know why, noticed Chinese buyers love buying from my site, even if I listed same domains on third-party marketplaces. As for third-party marketplaces, I've more sales on DAN than any of them.

14. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

that's not the case
    domains do have traffic
    and you serve them the traffic

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  15. davidc1

davidc1 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Exactly...

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

It is a good topic, @ddzc and thanks for starting the discussion.

It may depend partly on the size of portfolio and the quality and type of names, whether a separate marketplace is best. While one can save on commissions, and have control over content and in particular negotiations, some potential buyers probably feel uncomfortable with a brand they have not heard of, perhaps. Even with Escrow, Dan, Sedo, etc. closing the transaction and handling payment, probably still some buyers prefer one of the big marketplaces.

If I was starting from scratch, I like a lot what is offered by things like SHWL. You have advantage that your names do not compete with a whole pool of names from others, as on the marketplaces, yet have 24 hr response and transaction handling from SH for your names, if you tick that option. And no expense of hosting and although standard listing process is somewhat time consuming, not as much as your own site, perhaps.

Bob

17. dncafe

dncafe 2021 PowerUser

Most end users don't use Dan or Sedo. They go to a popular registrar like GoDaddy and start typing in domain ideas.

If your domain is listed for free on Afternic it will show up for sale on GoDaddy and many other registrars.

18. karmaco

karmaco Top Contributor VIP

I think you guys aren’t giving end users their due credit. They have zero problem finding a name they really want no matter where it points. Anyone who doesn’t know what they want yet can be overwhelmed by too many choices and the chances of them picking your name on a site with many choices (like a brandable market) are minute. Most of what sells wherever brought its own traffic imo.

19. zeff

zeff Established Member

I think most buyers already know what they are looking for before going on marketplaces like dan, sedo, afternic and others.
    In my opinion buyers first type the name on the address bar, so if the domain lands on your own landing page, there is a chance to sell... If the landing page is set up with all the informations about the sale.

20. poweredbyme

poweredbyme Top Contributor VIP

People don't know the difference between domains and websites. They don't know the word of "domain name" as they have never heard it before. They don't know how the internet and websites work. They know nothing including but not limited to domain marketplaces, domain registrars, domain forums, etc.

Marketplaces have only 1 real function: payment processing for sellers. They have no notable/vital function for buyers. So marketplaces are for sellers only.

As sellers/resellers are also buyers, only those buyers know those marketplaces and only those buyers visit marketplace websites. End users can't visit. Because they don't know and don't need to know. They are not in domaining business. They know their own offline businesses only, nothing more.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  21. dncafe

dncafe 2021 PowerUser

Go ask 100 business owners in all categories and I would bet 99% have never heard of Sedo, Dan or other domain marketplaces. But most have heard of GoDaddy, because they're running Super Bowl ads, sponsoring NASCAR drivers etc.

You need to go where the end users are, not what marketplace you like best.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  22. Deven Patel

Deven Patel Founder, Alter.com Blue Account

Domains are unique. Unlike 99% of products listed on Amazon, there can only be one owner of each domain. So buyers who want that specific domain aren't going to care much about where it points as long as that place looks trustworthy and offers some kind of escrow service. This group of extremely interested buyers is also the reason why you hear about sales occurring without landers (in fact that's how we acquired Alter.com).

The real value of any marketplace is their marketing. How many more buyers can they help you reach? Especially those buyers that never considered your name in the first place.

I would personally recommend using the shotgun approach where you list your names at as many places as possible to target all available buyers. Some marketplaces may get you more sales than others but being on all of them gives you the best chance of success.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021 at 6:12 PM

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice