Dynadot

advice Sedo wants my Passport ID

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bolo

Established Member
Impact
I have my landers at Dan and also have my domains for sale on Afternic.

I tried to upload my Domains to Sedo recently but they asked me to change my nameservers to theirs. I didn't want to do so and didn't get around to discussing it with Sedo, and they removed my domains and cancelled my account. That's fair enough.

However the reason I didn't change my nameservses was because I have Dan landers. I sent them an email asking if I could provide some other form of evidence that I own the domains and they insisting I provide my passport or driving license and proof of my postal address, without which it would not be possible to re-open my Sedo account . That seems unsafe to me.

2 Questions:

1- Is this standard when someone can't change to their nameservers?

2- Since I'm on Dan and Afternic already, is it worth the hassle to bother with Sedo?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1- Is this standard when someone can't change to their nameservers?
They thought you list domains that you don't own.
2- Since I'm on Dan and Afternic already, is it worth the hassle to bother with Sedo?
Yes.

Fast way to complete verification, point the nameservers to Sedo first just moments before you list. It works instantly. Then you can change the nameservers.

•••
With KYC you have to provide ID in many situations. Nothing strange. It’s a security measure.

In answer to your 2nd question yes DAN and Afternic is enough imo.

•••
They thought you list domains that you don't own.

Yes.

Fast way to complete verification, point the nameservers to Sedo first just moments before you list. It works instantly. Then you can change the nameservers.
Thanks.

I guess I could have done that originally but now they are insisting on full ID or go to hell.

With KYC you have to provide ID in many situations. Nothing strange. It’s a security measure.

Still feels very unsafe.

Thanks.

•••

I am not aware of any laws requiring KYC to post a sales listing. If that's the case then why doesn't Namepros ask us for KYC info to post in Marketplace? Sedo is doing it to be cautious. IMHO I would not provide them my passport.

•••
create a new sedo account, before list the domain, update your domains to sedo dns, after the domain listed, change back the dns to DAN

•••
IMHO I would not provide them my passport.

Thanks

create a new sedo account, before list the domain, update your domains to sedo dns, after the domain listed, change back the dns to DAN

But they already have my name and email...

•••
Just update your domain(s) DNS TXT records with

Your Domain Ownership Verification ID​

With this ID you can instantly self-verify the ownership of your domains, if you don't want to use sedo's nameservers. Simple.

Last edited:
•••
not worth to deal with sedo, forgive it

•••
Just update your domain(s) DNS TXT records with

Your Domain Ownership Verification ID​

With this ID you can instantly self-verify the ownership of your domains, if you don't want to use sedo's nameservers. Simple.
Thanks Joystal but they are insisting on passport or get lost forever.

not worth to deal with sedo, forgive it

Appreciate your feedback.

•••
Unless they're insisting you leave the NS permanently at Sedo, I don't see what the issue is. DAN doesn't require use of their own NS to list, does it?

So at worst a potential buyer will see a Sedo lander instead of DAN for a few days until Sedo verifies it, but since you're happy to sell on Sedo anyway how is that a problem?

The real issue is this:

If they'll ask for a passport and proof of address simply to prove ownership of a domain (I don't see how it proves anything if you have whois privacy) then they're probably going to demand the same if you ever make a sale and want to be paid.

I'm sure they keep all the personal data they collect nice and secure though, like every other company.

•••
I am not aware of any laws requiring KYC to post a sales listing. If that's the case then why doesn't Namepros ask us for KYC info to post in Marketplace? Sedo is doing it to be cautious. IMHO I would not provide them my passport.
Nobody says there are any fixed laws but each escrow providing service from Escrow.com on out routinely requires proof of identity to payout anything.

If they want proof of id beforehand you either provide it or move on. I had to provide personal docs to DropCatch just to bid. It happens and its to expected was my only point. The larger question is whats the big deal? If you don’t like it don’t list on Sedo.

•••
lots of companies ask for your drivers license or passport nowadays. Just do it, use vpn. gl. :)

•••
lots of companies ask for your drivers license or passport nowadays. Just do it, use vpn. gl. :)
VPN doesn't hide my id if I'm literally giving them my ID...

Unless they're insisting you leave the NS permanently at Sedo, I don't see what the issue is. DAN doesn't require use of their own NS to list, does it?

So at worst a potential buyer will see a Sedo lander instead of DAN for a few days until Sedo verifies it, but since you're happy to sell on Sedo anyway how is that a problem?

THe issue is they don't allow that for me anymore. Only full ID.
The larger question is whats the big deal? If you don’t like it don’t list on Sedo.

Well that's my question here, is it worth obeying to list on Sedo if Im already on Dan and Afternic?

Last edited:
•••
You do know that the nameservers for confirmation are just temporary, right?

You direct your NS to sedo to prove ownership then you just change them back. They thought it was very suspicious that you refused to do that.

Just send them your ID, you might need it anyway in case of a big sale. Or don't.

•••
You do know that the nameservers for confirmation are just temporary, right?
Yes, I simply didn't get around to it within their required time frame.

Now they won't accept that.

•••
More to it than this, me thinks.
From now on, do what i do. Change ns to sedo, wait 24 hours till they resolve. Add them. Never been asked to verify in 13 years

•••
yea but they are reputable in the since of being a big company. After they verify your id they dont do anything with it.

•••
If your that fearful about your id dont register at sedo go somewhere else but everyone is going to verification anyway. You got to trust someone or youll be a paranoid schzoid

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back