IT.COM

.info Sedo thinks .info may eclipse .net as the No 2 TLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
From the August 2006 edition of their newsletter

With the .INFO picking up steam in registrations and also the volume of aftermarket sales skyrocketing, the future of the .INFO looks promising. So promising that the .INFO has the potential to bump the .net out of its position as second most popular TLD.

http://www.sedo.com/newsletter/us/nl_aug_2006.htm
Editted to add link

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It would'nt surprise me regarding sales, lets hope so :)

•••
I personally like .info better than .net. But for as more being registered I think that is just because of the insane prices for them, such as 60 cents and $1.99, ect. You can purchase about 4 infos for a price of 1 net/com, theremore people will risk in infos more

•••
•••
If .net and .info reg cost are the same, things will change.

•••
I think they mean # of domains regged, not which one is the most popular and will have more sales and $$$ figures. It's because of the cheap prices of .info lately, people are going crazy.

Wouldn't you rather own gold.net than gold.info? :) Besides, .net has been around much longer than .info and many many many are in use by endusers so not as many are For Sale.

•••
I still love .net more. The price really makes the decision. If any one extension sells at cents, it will take the place surely.

•••
Sedo would be smoking weed if it really thought .net was going to be overtaken by .info.

The HUGE majority of the public still doesnt know what a .info is. MANY more end users via .net spectrum.

•••
You guys all make great points for both the pros and the cons. It's important to remember, though, that there are only a certain number of premium names that we'll see selling on places such as Sedo. Regardless of registration numbers, premiums are premiums for the most part when it comes to TLDs.

For example, think of Attorney.net and Attorney.info. If you're looking for an attorney, which is a paltry 1.5 million OVT term, what domain sounds more authoritative, especially with the rising awareness of .info? I'd take the .info any day in that situation and not look back. On the other hand, businessname.net works much better if for some reason the .com is not obtainable. It's a case by case basis, but I think the .info wins out in the end. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that the .info will overtake the .net (and most certainly has the potential to as the article above states). I don't think anyone's really arguing that the .info is currently more popular.

•••
Personally I like .Info much.

When I visit a site call .net, I got the feeling that this is just a Copied Service from .com Site (Of cource, it is not copied, but my feeling is like that ). But a .INFO site would give the image that they are brand new for some more information

•••
I have lately noticed a huge increase in active .info sites from small as well as large corporations.

The companies use the .info TLD as it should be used: for information sites. They have the main corporate webiste at CompanyName.com and information about their products at CompanyName.info or ProductName.info

They might not directly advertise the .info address but it is listed on the products instead of the .com which also means that a lot of non-domains will get used to the .info TLD

I believe that listing .info websites on everyday products is one of the best ways to spread the word about .info to the average consumer.

•••
If you have a network oriented site, use dot-net; if you have an informational site, use dot-info.

•••
I think .info is picking up steam in registrations only because of it's price which is less than $2 offered by some registrars. In the long run it's popularity and it's value will certainly rise but it won't be able to displace .net as the second most popular tld imo.

•••
I wonder what would happen if the average .info reg fee matches the .net fee?

•••
gou said:
I wonder what would happen if the average .info reg fee matches the .net fee?

the number of info domains will continue to grow , as there are many good domains unregged .. :hehe:

•••
Well, .info is a charming TLD, but it's pretty much a novelty...which is why they can be bought and sold for a fraction of the cost of a .com or .net.

•••
•••
.net is still the second choice.... the article makes sense but .info is still confusing to many internet users

•••
I think .info is better for typing into google
when your looking for stuff anyway.
for example being someone who uses google alot,
to narrow down my search I may add a word,
like info
say I wanted to find out about my birthname
I would type in - birthname - which gives
Results 1 - 10 of about 75,400 for birthname

or I would type in - birthname info - which gives
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,500,000

so in some instances, like this one...the .info I think
is a much better choice

I think the popularity for the .info is because more are actually being
developed into informational sites. I know I've found more and more
over the last few months. :imho:
:)

•••
.info can supercede .net in the number of domain registrations, but it will never supercede .net in value and popularity - in my opinion.

And that's the bottom line.

•••
I think for new registrations, both are pretty much equal at this point as to desire and usefulness. The .net has WAY MORE active sites than .info though, particularly due to it's use by ISP's, and networking companies that chose it long ago. Personally, I think .info works better in a few more situations than .net, since almost everything could be considered information, and slightly less would fit the .net "intended" purpose. I have on occassion passed up a .net for a .info, but that is the exception rather than the rule. I think .net still has a perceived value ahead of .info at this point that still seems to have some momentum.

•••
I have not owned that many .net or .info names in my 10 years. But I will have to say it was like pulling teeth to get a .net sale and I seem to sell .info's all the time. I don't know why that is?

•••
I personally like .net better but I have noticed more and more .info sites being developed. To me, the choice still really depends on the subject matter on the site.

•••
Well I am a great fan of .infos so hope they continue to grow.... :)

•••
mellowmasher said:
Well I am a great fan of .infos so hope they continue to grow.... :)
Ditto. But I think .NET continues to gain steam, especially as poker/gambling web sites are using the .NET variation to promote their websites. (As we all know, gambling sites are not allowed to advertise on TV, so they are promoting their "free" and "educational" sites that use the dot net extension.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back