NameSilo

advice SEDO - Seller Response Time /w BIN Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LucidDomains

LucidDomains.comTop Member
Impact
Saw a juicy domain on Sedo with an affordable BIN in my budget. Bought and paid for it straight away. Sedo then contacted seller to prepare the transfer i.e. get the auth code/unlock of domain.

It's been 24 hours since he probably received the email from Sedo asking for the auth code and AFAIK he has not replied.

I called SEDO to speak to my transfer agent just to see if there was any behind the scenes contact and there was none.

Seller is pretty much in the same timezone as me. I don't often buy domains on sedo.

I want the domain - I'm not concern about the money.

Now, to the veteran users of Sedo, would your initial impression be that after 24 hours, this is normal lets wait another 24 hours, or 24 hours hmm there should have been some movement on his part by now, this isn't looking good.

What's your first thought in this context?

Thanks in advance to any posters.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Keep in mind it has only been 24 hours since he probably received the email from Sedo, as your post reads, and that's just your assumption. Important to remember, many people have lives, children, careers, vacations, etc.; and are not just sitting around in front of a computer hoping or waiting for a sale. It's easy to get impatient, but be realistic and give the seller a few days before starting to worry. I myself go days without checking email, depending upon how busy I get with everyday life, but that's just me.

If it exceeds a full week, then you can start to question the delay, and begin contacts, calls, etc. IMO.

Good luck, and congrats on the name.

•••
Thank you for the reply. You're probably spot on. I'm just being impatient. I guess I would be less impatient if it was the other way round and I was the seller with the domain.

Don't congratz me just yet tho - fingers crossed for a smooth tx.

Cheers

:alien2:

•••
I agree, 24hrs isn't really that much time. As the previous person wrote, if we're getting upwards of 5-7 days and there is no activity, definitely a bad sign. However, 24hrs is pretty short. I think you're just excited to get the name into your hands :) Give it a few more days as right now I wouldn't be too worried!

•••
It does take about 3-4 days sometimes to get even the auth code. At times, you have the weekend in between.
Sometimes, the seller supplies auth code and approves the confirmation email within a day itself.
In case of a push to Sedo account, I have completed transactions in under 24 hours at times.
So, you need to start worrying if 4-5 working days have elapsed without you being provided the auth code since you hit the BIN.

•••
Don’t assume that the seller constantly checks his emails. I bought a domain with a BIN price from Sedo recently, and from paid, until I had the domain in my account, it took about 6 weeks.

At first I thought the seller had second thoughts, and did not want to let to domain go for such a low price. But actually he just checked his email extremely infrequently. So every time Sedo requested him to take any action with the domain, it would take ages for him to respond.

He took so long to respond (it just looked like he would not transfer the domain), that Sedo even suggested he had broken the legally binding contract he and I had entered once I clicked the BIN button, that I could take legal action against him to obtain the name. Obviously I did not want to go through that trouble, and due to the sellers location in the Middle East, I am not even sure how it would be possible to do it.

So I just waited and waited, and eventually I got it. 24 hours without any progress is nothing to be worried about. You need to be more patient.

•••
6 weeks is crazy, I feel for you.

Apparently when I called the transfer agent he said the last time the person had logged into their sedo account was the day before I purchased. So I guess it's not like he's sitting there, looking at his account, thinking to himself 'should I?, shouldn't I? I'll tease the buyer a few more days'.

Fingers crossed today's the day..otherwise I gotta wait through the weekend.

;)

•••
what about whois email / phone no?

privacy enabled !?

•••
what about whois email / phone no?

privacy enabled !?

Well I don't think that matters at this stage and AFAIK if it came down to it sedo should provide me with their contact details anyway but I think all will be fine. I just gotta be patient throughout the weekend now.

•••
Just to confirm the seller was unresponsive to emails and calls for 4-5 days. Today he reached out to the SEDO rep himself - apparently he has been snowed under at work and didn't realise the domain was sold.

Transfer is now in progress.

Thank you to all who replied to ease my concerns - this one has a happy ending.

:alien2:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back