IT.COM

Sedo no longer shows seller info when making offer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just noticed an annoying change at Sedo. When seeing a domain with a "Make Offer" pricing, you no longer get to a page that displays seller's country and "active since" status. Instead, a pop-up appears where you enter your bid and then you are directed to a confirmation page without this information.

I cannot understand why Sedo would make this change. For me, it is important to be able to see where seller is from. At least it gives you a chance to check against the registrant in the whois.

Even more importantly, the "active since" function is extremely important, I think. A seller that has been active since 2007 is less likely to be a scammer than one who just became a member in 2019 (unless his Sedo account has been hacked).

I will be very careful making offers for domains at Sedo moving forward unless I have been able to reach out to the seller through whois, which is now often not possible.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just noticed an annoying change at Sedo. When seeing a domain with a "Make Offer" pricing, you no longer get to a page that displays seller's country and "active since" status. Instead, a pop-up appears where you enter your bid and then you are directed to a confirmation page without this information.

I cannot understand why Sedo would make this change. For me, it is important to be able to see where seller is from. At least it gives you a chance to check against the registrant in the whois.

Even more importantly, the "active since" function is extremely important, I think. A seller that has been active since 2007 is less likely to be a scammer than one who just became a member in 2019 (unless his Sedo account has been hacked).

I will be very careful making offers for domains at Sedo moving forward unless I have been able to reach out to the seller through whois, which is now often not possible.

Exactly it changed a couple months ago, and it's ridiculous, in my opinion they are rendering themselves useless and not worth the commission fee they earn.

•••

Here is a workaround, If you have a domain name parked at Sedo type that in, then click the buy it now button, so then you get a long url string, So I go to https://sedo.com/search/details/?partnerid=14456&language=us&domain=datasmash.com&origin=parking&utm_medium=Parking&utm_campaign=template&utm_source=2014 start editing it out back to the datasmash.com and put in the domain I am looking for like newly listed Payouts.co

https://sedo.com/search/details/?partnerid=14456&language=us&domain=payouts.co

Then you get the info.

You don't have to own any names there just bookmark a name you know parked and for sale at Sedo to get the link.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding seller's Country...
This field has negative impact on negotiations with endusers... not always but in most cases...
I have asked Sedo to remove it at least 2 times, and as usually - feedbacks from domainers are ignored by Sedo.
Agree. don't want this info displayed, wondered if GDPR really allows them to show it without getting your consent.

•••
When the domain is listed in "Make Offer" mode - Seller's country has very significant impact on bidder's behaviour/psychology... what sum will be offered... etc.
If you represent the USA - then $10,000 will be offered...
If Nigeria is displayed or something like that - you will get ~10-20 times lower offer...
This is just random example... if you don't understand this simple thing.

I use(d) also Undeveloped, Uniregistry and Epik marketplaces...
And only on Sedo this Country field is displayed.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Regarding seller's Country...
This field has negative impact on negotiations with endusers... not always but in most cases...
I have asked Sedo to remove it at least 2 times, and as usually - feedbacks from domainers are ignored by Sedo.

•••
I noticed this myself when I found it strange that the domain names in searches no longer linked to the detail page. I figured they were maybe A/B testing something. I don't mind the quick prompt popup but allow users to click on the domain to view the name's details if they so choose, please.

•••
Oh, sorry if this is old news. I just noticed it now. But yes, they are not making it easier for themselves.

No not old I don't think most noticed it, so good you pointed out here.

•••
Here is a workaround, If you have a domain name parked at Sedo type that in, then click the buy it now button, so then you get a long url string, So I go to https://sedo.com/search/details/?partnerid=14456&language=us&domain=datasmash.com&origin=parking&utm_medium=Parking&utm_campaign=template&utm_source=2014 start editing it out back to the datasmash.com and put in the domain I am looking for like newly listed Payouts.co

https://sedo.com/search/details/?partnerid=14456&language=us&domain=payouts.co

Then you get the info.

Great tip! I just tried it with a name that is listed as "make offer", and it works:

https://sedo.com/search/details/?&language=us&domain=suv.deals

•••
I noticed it a couple of months ago. What's the point in writing a description about the domain when no one can read it. Also, what about portfolio link that can normally be seen from within, now can't. I don't see any obvious reasons for the changes.

•••
•••
Hmm when I try and look it just shows buy it now, won't open up to show any details. Thanks for looking jurgen

•••
Because this is the only activity Sedo does and can...
No any real changes/moves to get more sellers/buyers... Just redesign every 2-3 years and that's all.

•••
@Dave Evanson is usually helpful. Maybe he can provide some information.

Not sure if tagging him was a great idea because if he sees @equity78 's hack he may close that loophole.

If Dave does not show up maybe we should not tag another sedo representative just as a precaution so that the hack stays viable.

Last edited:
•••
to me displaying the year since member would be enough.

•••
Hi everyone, thanks for the thread and the valuable feedback!

Here's a quick overview of what's happening:

• We're constantly a/b testing features and improvements to our platform, so what you see here is a result of a test as well.
  • Skipping the "Domain Details" page for BuyNow Domains has led to an increased conversion to sales for domain sellers. This feature is now live.
  • Currently we're testing if the conversion increases for domains with other listing types as well.
  • The "Domain Details" page for each listed domain will still exist and won't be deactivated. So no worries about the "loophole", it won't be closed ;)

The link posted earlier is an example of how to directly link to a specific domain name, e.g. https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=basketballshoes.com. Just replace the domain name with any on our marketplace and it'll get you to the Domain Details Page. We will keep this functionality, so we're be able to link to your domains we're promoting on the homepage, on parking pages, or in our newsletters, or other media.

Your domain description and details will still be important, because we will be making further tests, for which we'd like to show you a sneak peek below. Instead of forwarding to the Domain Details page we will display a layer (or modal screen) that includes important information about the domain and the seller, but more compact and without having to leave the search (details still subject to change).

modal.jpg

(Excuse the bi-lingual screenshot, this is a mock-up, and once live it'll be displayed in one language only)

Again, thanks for the lively discussion, and we're looking forward to presenting you new features and optimizations soon.

Best,
Your Sedo Team

•••
Hi everyone, thanks for the thread and the valuable feedback!

Here's a quick overview of what's happening:

• We're constantly a/b testing features and improvements to our platform, so what you see here is a result of a test as well.
  • Skipping the "Domain Details" page for BuyNow Domains has led to an increased conversion to sales for domain sellers. This feature is now live.
  • Currently we're testing if the conversion increases for domains with other listing types as well.
  • The "Domain Details" page for each listed domain will still exist and won't be deactivated. So no worries about the "loophole", it won't be closed ;)

The link posted earlier is an example of how to directly link to a specific domain name, e.g. https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=basketballshoes.com. Just replace the domain name with any on our marketplace and it'll get you to the Domain Details Page. We will keep this functionality, so we're be able to link to your domains we're promoting on the homepage, on parking pages, or in our newsletters, or other media.

Your domain description and details will still be important, because we will be making further tests, for which we'd like to show you a sneak peek below. Instead of forwarding to the Domain Details page we will display a layer (or modal screen) that includes important information about the domain and the seller, but more compact and without having to leave the search (details still subject to change).

modal.jpg

(Excuse the bi-lingual screenshot, this is a mock-up, and once live it'll be displayed in one language only)

Again, thanks for the lively discussion, and we're looking forward to presenting you new features and optimizations soon.

Best,
Your Sedo Team

Thanks for the update. Interesting to know that sales have increased for the Buy Now listings after this change.

•••
Exactly it changed a couple months ago, and it's ridiculous, in my opinion they are rendering themselves useless and not worth the commission fee they earn.

Oh, sorry if this is old news. I just noticed it now. But yes, they are not making it easier for themselves.

•••
Do any sedo representative's ever come on to here to reply ?

•••
•••
•••
Sedo is rarely here. True.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back