Dynadot

Sedo is really one of the wrost marketplace to buy domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
I won a 5N.com for $230 on auction and paid 3 days ago and I have not received auth code and no respond from sedo. OMG!!!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi 70ym,

With the greatest of respect, 4 days holiday over the holiday period once a year is not excessive. Sedo strives to deliver the best service and opening times that we can but we have to be realistic and we also try to offer the best work / life balance to our employees. After all happy workers are better workers, providing a better service to you. This is not unreasonable.

Your post is not justified and I am really surprised that you wrote it considering the business relationship we have had so far and looking at your account in more detail.

All the best

Chris
At least you should annouce that sedo was on holiday and can not transfer domain during holiday before people buy domains.

•••
At least you should annouce that sedo was on holiday and can not transfer domain during holiday before people buy domains.

if they do that, will you change title of thread?

im tryin to help Sedo, eve tho never used them

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I have been a regular buyer at Sedo and I must say that their Transfer Center has been quite active and quick to close sales or purchases, at least to me. As a regular buyer there, I am very well aware that they do not operate over weekends and public holidays. It is clearly mentioned on their website.

Thanks.

•••
sedo is much much better than dan in my eyes

•••
Hi 70ym,

No we dont do that for the reasons I have already given you. I understand that you are unhappy that you could not reach someone between the 24th and 26th of December as our offices were closed for Christmas. But do you really think that justifies writing a post 'Sedo is really one of the worst marketplace to buy domain' when most businesses in Germany and the US also close over these days? Also considering the 1 day response time we normally have dealing with your questions, providing you personal support in your native tongue Chinese and helping you close more that 20 successful transactions?

All the best
Chris

Your reason is not strong enough. Many people are willing to work on holiday. Many companies provide support on holiday too. Especially for internet company. Many Chinese domain marketplace provide english support too. Most of my transauctions are $20 deal and llll.com for $100-$180 range. People buy them just because they are cheap. And all procedure can be done automatically. You just help me send the auth code I submit to the buyer. And this can be done automatically.
And I face many problems for the rest of transautions.
Such as 3 months to get payment just because buyer cannot change whois info in his registrar.
Buyer did not pay for the domain he bough.
Difficult to add some domains even if I use txt and cname verification.

The reason I have question is sedo have problem.
Some of problems happen in dan.com and afternic too. I just need one email to solve the problem.
But I need to spend a lot of time to solve the same problem on sedo.

I can't believe you pround of 1 day response time on working day. Namesilo, dyanot, namecheap and many other marketplace provide real time support. They provide support on weekend too.

•••
•••
•••
Then Sedo can ask the gaining Registrar to confirm that domain was moved to the buyer.
It is also stated in their Terms.
And that's all.

Last edited:
•••
And Sedo hires...
Who wants to provide support on weekends/holidays - send your applications...

•••
In my experience, Sedo has been always super fast managing the transactions.
They are very serious and quick to response in working days, because we usually work on working days.
And also pretty fast sending the payment.

•••
Bought domain at Sedo on weekend.

Before lunch on Monday it was fully transferred to my account at my own registrar.

•••
Bought domain at Sedo on weekend.

Before lunch on Monday it was fully transferred to my account at my own registrar.

Your seller was good :)

I have not received auth code and no respond from sedo.

Your seller might not be too fast. Also, holidays / weekends - yes they may hire more staff to operate 24/7/365 but it would increase commissions. And ultimately the prices...

Sedo is an example of how marketplaces should work. Responsive transfer agents. Payouts are almost instant (as soon as "credit note" is created). If the seller is slow - well, it does not depend on Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
@Sedo What's your actual policy on sellers who aren't willing to deliver domains?

I just purchased a name at a BIN that I thought was fair (not an obvious lucky deal that should raise the bells of a mistaken listing). After days of silence it turns out the seller is claiming it was a mistaken listing, and he isn't willing to deliver. This is a seller with 2000+ domains across marketplaces and has history on Sedo, so we're not talking about a newbie.

•••
@Sedo What's your actual policy on sellers who aren't willing to deliver domains?

I just purchased a name at a BIN that I thought was fair (not an obvious lucky deal that should raise the bells of a mistaken listing). After days of silence it turns out the seller is claiming it was a mistaken listing, and he isn't willing to deliver. This is a seller with 2000+ domains across marketplaces and has history on Sedo, so we're not talking about a newbie.

If a seller does not complete, Sedo's policy is that they can collect a %, I think 15%, of the sale price from the seller as a penalty.

But if you ask them if they will do this in a specific case, or if they have done, they refuse to confirm. So far.

They also have the ability to ban sellers - has that ever happened?

Last edited:
•••
If a seller does not complete, Sedo's policy is that they can collect a %, I think 15%, of the sale price from the seller as a penalty.

But if you has them if they will do this in a specific case, or if they have done, they refuse to confirm. So far.

They also have the ability to ban sellers - has that ever happened?

That’s interesting - so they collect their commission regardless from the seller, but the buyer is left without the domain, and the seller basically gets to keep their account in good standing?

•••
That’s interesting - so they collect their commission regardless from the seller, but the buyer is left without the domain, and the seller basically gets to keep their account in good standing?

And if you wired them the money you paid a wire fee you do not get back, and when they send your money back they want to charge you a wire fee, or fees, to send it back. So the buyer ends up out of pocket.

•••

And if you wired them the money you paid a wire fee you do not get back, and when they send your money back they want to charge you a wire fee, or fees, to send it back. So the buyer ends up out of pocket.

How can they collect a commission if the buyer is not receiving the domain? Who pays the money...the buyer ...so how can a buyer accept to pay a commission for a service he did not get? Does not make sense and I think not many buyers will accept such thing. The seller will only buy the fees if a domain is delivered.

•••
As one of the biggest international domain market, you should able to provide service everyday.
I think it is not difficult. Many people are willing to work on holiday.
Or just make transfer procedure automatically.

And you should waive the 3% payment fee for domains that above $500.
I think 15% transauction fee is high enough to cover payment fee.
i suggest to use @Epik.com as a marketplace it takes 9% fee.
or Dan.com
i dont have sedo account dont like the option "domainer location" 👎

•••
How can they collect a commission if the buyer is not receiving the domain? Who pays the money...the buyer ...so how can a buyer accept to pay a commission for a service he did not get? Does not make sense and I think not many buyers will accept such thing. The seller will only buy the fees if a domain is delivered.
thats why i deleted my sedo account the most annyoning marketplace.

•••
Buyer did not pay for the domain he bough.
This is my pain at Sedo. Domains are removed from marketplace while waiting for payment (up to 1 month).
So if you want to remove your competitor's domain from Sedo market - just buy it and do not pay. ;)

•••
This is my pain at Sedo. Domains are removed from marketplace while waiting for payment (up to 1 month).
So if you want to remove your competitor's domain from Sedo market - just buy it and do not pay. ;)

...if you do that then it'll make your competitor real happy, cause if you do not pay for his domain, you will be then removed from sedo market permanently ;)

•••
...if you do that then it'll make your competitor real happy, cause if you do not pay for his domain, you will be then removed from sedo market permanently ;)
Most of non-payers have fresh registration date at Sedo.
And I do not think Sedo removes their accounts. Seems all that Sedo do is sending this:
Transaction cancelled by Sedo.
The buyer's address is now visible in your contract.

Last edited:
•••
Also, holidays / weekends - yes they may hire more staff to operate 24/7/365 but it would increase commissions.
I do not agree, support may be outsourced to the Regions with low wages and with various timezones. As an example Namecheap is US based with lower-end pricing BUT they have 24/7 live support. I noticed they support is based in India and Ukraine.

•••
The buyer is being impatient.

•••
And all procedure can be done automatically. You just help me send the auth code I submit to the buyer. And this can be done automatically.
This really makes sense.
In general I'm satisfied with Sedo as a seller. I have all my 10k portfolio parked with them. But I feel a number of things need to be improved at Sedo. And I really hope that Matthias Conrad who joined Sedo as its new CEO at the beginning of 2019 will make changes happen.
I'm a bit disappointed by defensive position of Sedo at this thread. It makes me think they are not going to listen to their customers and make changes.
Though I agree that title of this thread is too strict.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back