Dynadot

security .Security, why do prices differ so much between registrars?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So .security domains on Godaddy

xqc2ls.png

on Namecheap

23h16xe.png

I thought it may be the usual Namecheap having the wrong price and the transactions not being processed.. but they are being processed at those prices and several decent .security's are now in my account, name servers changed and everything.

Names that are still available are the likes of 123.security, food.security, door.security, physical.security, virtual.security, 365.security and patriot.security (.com sold for $25k!)

Not sure whether this is an error and they will take the domain names back or they are genuinely honoring these prices.

What do you think is going on?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I received an email about this, it was incorrectly priced by them and it seems like they will not honor the registration and will either delete the domain(and refund me) or I will have to pay the full $2488.18/year price in order to keep it.

•••
Yeah just got that same email ffs.. had biometric, 247, event and 123.. not paying over a grand a year though.. entitled to compo for it??

•••
I've just checked with NameCheap and it looks like they've fixed it, based on an available and very non premium being nearly £2K:
ldflshdjfshsdf34546yfgbhdwe346dfs.security - £1,747.02 per year

They'll be left with the premium charges otherwise, and at £1.7K of course they noticed ;)

I had that happen with another registrar recently, amazing names too, which was why the price was cheap (aka wrong).

I didn't pursue mine (ie on the basis it's their fault and it was bought fairly at the price advertised etc) as the registrar (not NameCheap) had done some very fair goodwill gestures for me in the past.
All registrars are probs well covered and have the legal right to cancel and refund anyway.

If you have invested time into sales (started lead generations, reached out to end users, marketing etc) then you can explain and ask for some compo or some good will gesture to redeem monetary value from your time wasted. Such as some outstanding invoices with them marked as paid, although I don't think they're obliged to give compensation, it would likely be a friendly goodwill gesture at their discretion.

Frustrating as it really is, ultimately I think it's one you can only shrug your shoulders at and move on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back