NameSilo

Secret Santa Domain Swap?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
To consolidate this, I've copied the original post from the "community" section under 'namepros info and suggestions."

Might be fun to try something like this for Christmas...lots of ways to do it. Here's one way:

secret santas would send one domain name to the swap facilitator (someone not in the swap...a trusted mod or such). That person would keep the names secret (or maybe let people know what they are if that generates interest)....when the last day for sending in names arrives (12-23 or so?), an announcement is made. Then all who sent in a domain choose a number between 1 and the number of domains sent in, say 200. This would have to be shown on the secret santa forum string so people could see which numbers were taken and which were left. After all the numbers were chosen, the facilitator draws the names from a hat or whatever, and gives the drawn domains a number as they are drawn (1-200 for example)...until they all are drawn. Then the domains, members and numbers associated to the domains are published in the string on the 24th or 25th...and each member who sent in a domain will get a new domain pushed from their secret santa.

So if I sent in a domain like xmaspresents.com, and it got drawn on the 56th draw, whoever had chosen #56 earlier would get that name pushed to them by me. If I chose #139, whichever domain drawn on the 139th draw is my present, and whoever sent it in would push it to me....and so on.

Domains would need to have guidelines so it's not a dumping ground for unwanted domains....and whatever else...maybe make them .coms only...or whatever. Would kind of be fun for Christmas.

What do you think? Ho-ho-ho!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just wnated to ask do isend in my domain names that meaning lists that iwant to submit or do i push the domain ?
Once you send me the name of the domain (and registrar), all you need to do is wait. When the time comes, I will post who got what domains. Then you will push your domain into an account for the new owner...just as you will get your gift domain pushed to you.

We have eight Secret Santas so far and some good domains. Would like to have at least 100 by Dec. 20. Rumor has it, someone will soon put in a really good domain. Become a Secret Santa, and you might get lucky!

•••
verbster said:
Once you send me the name of the domain (and registrar), all you need to do is wait. When the time comes, I will post who got what domains. Then you will push your domain into an account for the new owner...just as you will get your gift domain pushed to you.

We have eight Secret Santas so far and some good domains. Would like to have at least 100 by Dec. 20. Rumor has it, someone will soon put in a really good domain. Become a Secret Santa, and you might get lucky!
Anyone want to put a LLL.com in there? :lol:

•••
Be a Secret Santa, and swap a dot com domain with fellow NPer...Smiles all around!

•••
Ho, Ho, Ho! Only eight Secret Santas. Ho, Ho, Uh-oh.

Last edited:
•••
we need to get this thread stickied to get more people in on it.

•••
Made it a sticky - will take it down after the holidays.
Thanks very much, Bill....truly appreciated.

To add interest, and in the Christmas spirit, along with a decent dot com, I'll throw in a domain listed on Great Domains for $10,000. It's not a dot com, and I know it's not worth nearly that much, but even so I'm guessing it must be worth something.

So if you join in, you'll have a good shot at a getting two domains worth a bit more than $20.

Last edited:
•••
Instead of having one that values at 20$ could you include two that value at about 25?

•••
Instead of having one that values at 20$ could you include two that value at about 25?
Single domains worth $20+ are probably best...equal in quality and easier to sell, but I will go along with what others think.

•••
verbster said:
Single domains worth $20+ are probably best...equal in quality and easier to sell, but I will go along with what others think.
I know that the domain name I offered received an offer about a week ago for $50, but I decided to throw it in instead.

•••
Sent mine in
Great idea----sounds like fun

•••
•••
the domain name I offered received an offer about a week ago for $50, but I decided to throw it in instead.
WooHoo! That's the spirit!

•••
•••
Sounds fun! PM Sent. Not LLL.com, but it is an LLLL.com.

Last edited:
•••
Why not...

One suggestion: no TM names. I think people would like to get a new name not a C&D. :)

•••
Not LLL.com, but it is an LLLL.com.
And a good one, too!

One suggestion: no TM names
I agree. Have asked a couple of Santas to submit different domains because of TM; they did so.

Update: Close to 20 Secret Santas signed up. Some very good names.

Nine more days to get your domain in. Come on, you NP hardcores...throw your hat into it.

•••
verbster said:
And a good one, too!

I agree. Have asked a couple of Santas to submit different domains because of TM; they did so.

Update: Close to 20 Secret Santas signed up. Some very good names.

Nine more days to get your domain in. Come on, you NP hardcores...throw your hat into it.
Is the official date for the transfers on Christmas Day, or Eve.

•••
Is the official date for the transfers on Christmas Day, or Eve.
2. Domains must be submitted by PM by Dec. 20. Total number of domains/participants will be posted the early morning of Dec 21. Participating Santas (all who PM’d me a domain) can claim a number as soon as I post the total…so you know the range. All numbers are first come first served by order of posting on this string after the announcement. Early morning on Dec. 22, I will randomly draw the domains from a hat (literally) and give them a number in the order drawn…first drawn domain is #1 and so forth until they are all drawn. Then I will match the number of the domain drawn with the number claimed by each Santa on the previous day and post the outcomes. You will know who your Santa is and what name you got (and know who got your submitted domain). Pushes should start anytime thereafter and be finished by Jan 3 or so.

•••
verbster said:
2. Domains must be submitted by PM by Dec. 20. Total number of domains/participants will be posted the early morning of Dec 21. Participating Santas (all who PM’d me a domain) can claim a number as soon as I post the total…so you know the range. All numbers are first come first served by order of posting on this string after the announcement. Early morning on Dec. 22, I will randomly draw the domains from a hat (literally) and give them a number in the order drawn…first drawn domain is #1 and so forth until they are all drawn. Then I will match the number of the domain drawn with the number claimed by each Santa on the previous day and post the outcomes. You will know who your Santa is and what name you got (and know who got your submitted domain). Pushes should start anytime thereafter and be finished by Jan 3 or so.
Why don't you just get two different sets of numbers, one with the domain names, and the other with the names of those submitted. This way people won't have to worry about getting online to pick a number, because I'm sure many people will forget to.

Last edited:
•••
Why don't you touch get two different sets of numbers, one with the domain names, and the other with the names of those submitted. This way people won't have to worry about getting online to pick a number, because I'm sure many people will forget to.

Can do! Would work fine that way...two different hats...two random drawings...Santas, numbers and matches would then be posted.

Thanks for the suggestion....will make it easier on everyone.

•••
PM Sent with a domain! Thanks!

Tom

•••
Just got another very good LLLL.com....gonna be a domain good Christmas for someone. Join the fun, and it might be you!

•••
One suggestion: no TM names

Unless it is revenue earning via parking site :lol:

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back