Dynadot

Secret Santa Domain Swap?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
To consolidate this, I've copied the original post from the "community" section under 'namepros info and suggestions."

Might be fun to try something like this for Christmas...lots of ways to do it. Here's one way:

secret santas would send one domain name to the swap facilitator (someone not in the swap...a trusted mod or such). That person would keep the names secret (or maybe let people know what they are if that generates interest)....when the last day for sending in names arrives (12-23 or so?), an announcement is made. Then all who sent in a domain choose a number between 1 and the number of domains sent in, say 200. This would have to be shown on the secret santa forum string so people could see which numbers were taken and which were left. After all the numbers were chosen, the facilitator draws the names from a hat or whatever, and gives the drawn domains a number as they are drawn (1-200 for example)...until they all are drawn. Then the domains, members and numbers associated to the domains are published in the string on the 24th or 25th...and each member who sent in a domain will get a new domain pushed from their secret santa.

So if I sent in a domain like xmaspresents.com, and it got drawn on the 56th draw, whoever had chosen #56 earlier would get that name pushed to them by me. If I chose #139, whichever domain drawn on the 139th draw is my present, and whoever sent it in would push it to me....and so on.

Domains would need to have guidelines so it's not a dumping ground for unwanted domains....and whatever else...maybe make them .coms only...or whatever. Would kind of be fun for Christmas.

What do you think? Ho-ho-ho!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting... I'd participate but I'm sure it would be a bunch of 21-character "bad" .info and .name registrations. :lol:

•••
Naw...we'd have to have some basic domain guidelines...maybe like

.coms only, no longer than 16 (?) characters, etc...

or maybe just that they need to be worth $20 or more...I think NP members would play it straight...some would give better, I'll bet.

Secret Santas and their donated and received domains would be listed at the end...that would help, I think.

•••
i would be down for this :)

•••
I missed the other secret santa :(

so count me in for this one :)

•••
anyone got any update for this idea i would like to participate THanx

•••
Okay. I've got it all written up, but first need to get permission to move forward. Will ask to make sure this will cause no problems for anyone.

Hang tight.

•••
•••
I think it'd be really fun if we played by white elephant rules.

I thought about that...it would allow all sorts of good and bad names, and could be pretty funny. Then I started thinking of the logistics of doing it via forum with 100 people....yikes. I"m still up for it if you know how to do it in a way it could be managed.

I've got another straight exchange written up to consider, but I don't claim this as mine to run. I'll just post what I had in mind, and then wait for feedback. I'm up for whatever people want.

I don’t know how to manage the white elephant exchange through the forum, but if anyone does, it would be fun. Might be a way to work it in at the end of the exchange below...

Here’s an idea for a straight-up random exchange with a hope of someone getting a really good name…and no one getting garbage. I wrote this as though I were the facilitator, but it can be anyone. I’ll offer to be the default if no one else wants the job. Please feel free to make suggestions or whatever at anytime. If you don’t like this method, the dates or see a fatal flaw, say so. I made up some guidelines with the hope of keeping domain quality consistent and something to look forward to. The goal is to have a fun activity for Christmas where no one feels Scrooged. If you have objections to what I put...or have better ideas, speak up. I'm sure I've forgotten stuff and/or have taken the long way around something.

1. Participating Secret Santa's need to PM me and include the following info:
a. NP name
b. Domain they own and want to swap (no X-rated domains)

2. Domains must be submitted by PM by Dec. 20. Total number of domains/participants will be posted the early morning of Dec 21. Participating Santas (all who PM’d me a domain) can claim a number as soon as I post the total…so you know the range. All numbers are first come first served by order of posting on this string after the announcement. Early morning on Dec. 22, I will randomly draw the domains from a hat (literally) and give them a number in the order drawn…first drawn domain is #1 and so forth until they are all drawn. Then I will match the number of the domain drawn with the number claimed by each Santa on the previous day and post the outcomes. You will know who your Santa is and what name you got (and know who got your submitted domain). Pushes should start anytime thereafter and be finished by Jan 3 or so.

3. Domains must be owned by Secret Santa submitter
a. Must be dot com
b. No hyphens
c. Reasonable length
b. Value of $20 or more

4. Domains must not expire before Jan 25, 2007

5. Domains must be registered at a registrar that offers free pushes

6. To keep renewal fees and such consistent, domains should be dot coms only. I know this may not make everyone happy, but no one wants to get a ccTLD worth $30 that costs $40 to renew. Let's try to keep it all on a level field and give people something to look forward to...it's Christmas folks; no lumps of .ws coal. If you have a better idea, I'm very open to it.

7. Submitted .com domains should have a general base value of no less than $20. I don’t know about putting a length limit on it, but please exercise good judgment. Ask yourself if you would pay $20 for the name you are submitting. Remember, you are not giving up a $20+ domain; you will be getting one in return...who knows, perhaps your Secret Santa will warm your stockings with merrychristmas.com or some other nice stocking stuffer. It’s Christmas; I’ll bet some nice surprises will show up.

8. I can post the domains contributed (to gain interest) if you want. No names will be shown until the domains are pulled out of Santa's sack and associated with a number. With any luck, a couple of Secret Santas will offer very good names and people will want to participate even more so for the chance to get one.

I’ll add more to this as we go...maybe make it a sticky if it looks like enough people are interested. Would be great to get quite a few members in this. Spread a little Christmas cheer. Just PM me, and I'll keep everyone up on the number of people involved...and if there's a gem worth chasing.

Unless you are PM'ing me with a domain and your info, post suggestions to this string so all can see and comment....We'll keep it all up front and have fun...no Grinches allowed.

Edits: Suggestions and comments.

9. No hyphenated domains. Sounds like we're going to get a good bunch of domains for Christmas.

Last edited:
•••
Sounds fun, count me in.

(Will PM you once I have selected the domain.)

•••
sounds good. how about no dashes in the names also? otherwise people will give stuff with like 10 dashes in it or a dash between every letter, etc.

•••
Sounds like fun to me!!! Count me in for it.

•••
Sounds fun! Count me in. :)

verbster said:
You will know who your Santa is and what name you got (and know who got your submitted domain).
how about if we include a 'nick' together with the domain to keep it secret since this is a secret santa game. ;)

just only a suggestion.

•••
how about if we include a 'nick' together with the domain to keep it secret since this is a secret santa game.
We need some way of identifying how and where to push domains. Is there a way around this if we choose to try and be completely secret?

BTW: The Secret Santa names would only be revealed after the domains are given as gifts.

Last edited:
•••
I really like that idea... I always liked the secret santa idea...

•••
Have started to receive domains...very first one was easily worth more than $20 (imho). Send in yours...this is going to be fun!

•••
You should seperate them into registrars aswell. I never use any registrar other than Name Cheap or Go Daddy. I will submit a name to you momentarily.

EDIT: Also, can we submit 2 domains as a package just to make it sweeter?

•••
Also, can we submit 2 domains as a package just to make it sweeter?
If you want to bundle more than one domain together as your gift, that would be great!

For registrars, I appreciate the suggestion on categories. I'd rather keep it simple...will take too much time to categorize and draw for specific registrars...just turns into an admin mess if many custom requests are made. The good news is that after the name is pushed (or even before), if it's not with a registrar you like, you can transfer it wherever.

Got more names sent by Secret Santas. Make someone happy this Christmas: be a Domain Secret Santa!

•••
verbster said:
If you want to bundle more than one domain together as your gift, that would be great!

For registrars, I appreciate the suggestion on categories. I'd rather keep it simple...will take too much time to categorize and draw for specific registrars...just turns into an admin mess if many custom requests are made. The good news is that after the name is pushed (or even before), if it's not with a registrar you like, you can transfer it wherever.

Got more names sent by Secret Santas. Make someone happy this Christmas: be a Domain Secret Santa!
But then that causes a problem to the receiver. They will then have to pay more fees to transfer it. I think you should limit it to the main registrars such as Name Cheap, Go Daddy, Register Fly, etc.

•••
well in my view almost all registrars offer free accounts so the user can have them transfered into there account and transfer away from the registrar if he/she likes but restricting it to man registrars like moniker,go daddy , name cheap is also a good idea.

•••
PM sent with Secret Santa info :D

•••
PM just seet with Secret Santa Info

•••
Starting to get a little pile of domain gifts under the NP Secret Santa tree. They're hopping around like crazy...wanting to meet their new owners. The more the merrier!

•••
PM sent with my domain name. :)

•••
Just wnated to ask do isend in my domain names that meaning lists that iwant to submit or do i push the domain ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back