Domain Empire

news Search Giant Removes .Com Domain Extension From Bing Search Results

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Microsoft’s Bing.com search engine, the second most popular search engine service . . . shows a listings URL without any ending extension if the domain is a .com. This is pretty interesting because it is suggesting that Bing would prefer users not see the ending URL of the .coms, which personally, I think is an awful idea. They have not done this in paid search ads, only algorithmic results...
no-dot-com.png

Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This says "Hey, unless we show you otherwise, just assume it's .COM". Great move by Bing, and I think it's actually brilliant for search results. It also shines a light on the alternative extensions, making them stand out more.

.Com is so ugly bing deleted the tld from search

•••
the fact that someone likes a domain is not brainwashing.

the fact that people think an ending needs meaning and an ending without meaning is worth less is just repeating the words of the registry salespeople. They started saying this and using it in their marketing. People who repeat the words of the ads have been brainwashed.

What about .Commies who worship .com like a god? Are they a cult? Extremists? insane?

•••
NOT only for .com
most of my developed domains (on new G) have the same result.
This type of snippet is a completly discretion on G or Bing (in few words how these giants like your site -> aka good seo work on your domain).

•••
The funniest thing is theonion ranking first on bing for [news]

(And bing is more of a Search Dwarf)

•••
Why should we care do we sell domain names or websites ? how search engines treat websites is old news and it's the responsibility of the end users not us unless some of you spend thousands on website developments and marketing before they sell them!

•••
Why should we care do we sell domain names or websites ? how search engines treat websites is old news and it's the responsibility of the end users not us unless some of you spend thousands on website developments and marketing before they sell them!

They care because it trivilalizes .com

•••
dot com is in mind of majority googlers, they will google NewYork.com, compared to NewYork.city

•••
dot com is in mind of majority googlers, they will google NewYork.com, compared to NewYork.city

No

Just [new york]

•••
Search engines users will not care to type the extension unless it's a known website they visit regularly

•••

EXACTLY!

There is only one REAL question - how to develop website on domain :)
Extension does not help here!

Perhaps buyer of NewYork.City will have enough money to develop domain into mega site :)
There are known examples of big buck dot com domains sold and - never developed into something great...

There are two different kind of views on domains - one is webmaster approach, the other is domainers approach. New extensions offer more liberty and room - because it is virtually impossible to own them all.

I see in last days many messages about dropping new gTDL names - the MAIN IDEA is they are free - and waiting there for a REAL buyer - not a domain investor!! People just forgot about that.

If you own very good (or premium) new gTDL - and you are blessed with luck that there is NO PREMIUM pricing with domain renewal - KEEP IT and you will see results in a couple of years. Remember - those guys, who are propagating against new domains also "sitting" on their domains for decade or two.

Best would be to develop parked site.
Plus - I think also ccTDLs will strongly benefit in a couple of years with much higher prices, IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
A step into the direction of hiding domain extensions. Next they are going to hide the URL bar.

Why???

Plain and simple..... they want you to punch the url into bing and not the address bar. It is a slow and methodical move away from the URL bar as a whole.

Think about it.... either google or bink.... no URL bar.
That will add millions of searches and income to their bottom line.

I heard a long time ago that google ultimately plans to do away with the URL bar as well.
So basically even if you type in a direct URL it will still show you the top 10 results or so.
This will be a cash cow for them.

That will never be the case imo. Simply because the next best browser with url bar will take the lead. It's a wall that cannot be passed.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm not seeing this change on any of my browsers using Bing.

I for one want/need to see the URL of the domain I'm visiting as do most people. Not sure why they would move in this direction.

•••
.com is DEFAULT, so hence they can just choose not to show it when it is .com

.com is even on keyboard on android smartphones, so you can enter it with one tap...

So that does not change much. It will be weird though if they remove for others.

Google, by the way, often will show search results when you enter address directly too.

I look through my sites' stats and referrals and search words and there are tens/hundreds of exact domain search there. I doubt that many people google "domain.com" then to click on it and come to the site...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back