NameSilo

Search Giant Removes .Com Domain Extension From Bing Search Results

Labeled as news in gTLD Discussion started by News, May 6, 2017.

Replies:
Views:

1. dordomai

dordomai Top Member VIP

they only removed the .com ending, other extensions still show.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. MapleDots

MapleDots Account Auto-Closed

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :xf.laugh::ROFL::xf.laugh::ROFL::ROFL:

Sorry, my coffee just came out of my nose I laughed so hard.

I agree with your post it's just that the word onion and news in the same sentence made me laugh. Being a fake news site the onion probably pioneered the movement and I am so used to seeing it as a comedy type site that your comparison made me laugh.

Thank you for brightening up my morning. (y)

3. kriss05

kriss05 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

What do you think "brainwashing" meaning is. Check the dictionary/wikipedia etc.

The person says he likes one domain over another, and you response that people are brainwashed by registries lol.

4. HotKey

HotKey Made in Canada VIP

This says "Hey, unless we show you otherwise, just assume it's .COM". Great move by Bing, and I think it's actually brilliant for search results. It also shines a light on the alternative extensions, making them stand out more.

5. dordomai

dordomai Top Member VIP

the fact that someone likes a domain is not brainwashing.

the fact that people think an ending needs meaning and an ending without meaning is worth less is just repeating the words of the registry salespeople. They started saying this and using it in their marketing. People who repeat the words of the ads have been brainwashed.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  6. Rick Schwartz

Rick Schwartz Domain King RicksBlog.com T.R.A.F.F.I.C. PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Difference the .Com is worth 7 figures and the other isn't nor will it be.
    One is local one is International.
    One folks know about and the other is one BIG SECRET!
    And the comparison you used is wrong. Should be NewYorkCity.com vs NewYork.City.

7. Lox

Lox ----- Gold Account VIP

Microsoft is testing emotional A.I. / Chatbot (with and without dot extension) in specific areas (in US, EU, Asia, etc) directly in Bing's search results. Both Bing and Google have focus on delivering answers via A.I. / chatbots. One of related MS patents can be found here.

Kind regards

8. kriss05

LOL

You don't think that people can have their own view? That it is different from yours doesn't mean they are brainwashed just because their view coincides with someone else views as well.

9. dordomai

dordomai Top Member VIP

OK maybe they developed that view on their own but it sounds awfully close to the questionable ideas they have been pushing in their ads.

10. tksfrm

tksfrm Established Member

Shorter - is better :)

11. dordomai

dordomai Top Member VIP

newyork.com = early retirement
    newyork.city = pay a lot in premium renewal fees.(liability)

I would prefer the first one.

12. kriss05

It sounds so close because it is the same idea. But before you call someone brainwashed, get ready to be named brainwashed as well as your thoughts sound awfully close to those of big guys with big .com portfolios who repeat all the day ngtlds are dead.

13. tksfrm

tksfrm Established Member

I am speaking about domain names :) Not silly registry prices - that's another story!

With correct prices - let's say max of $20-$40 dollars per EACH domain this would be a mayor success.
    But as we all know from Lehman Brothers story - greed, greed - and again greed :)

14. Casey L

Casey L Top Member VIP

"search giant" "bing"

LOL

15. Kuffy

Kuffy Name Stag VIP

Another reason to dump Microsoft. I replaced Win 10 with Ubuntu on the last notebook I bought.

16. enlytend

enlytend Moderator, NamePros Moderator Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger ★★★★★★★★★★

Not seeing it here - probably an experiment.

Yes, Bing has a smaller search market share than Google, but ...
    • Bing traffic is usually the same quality or better quality than that from Google. By which I mean organic Bing traffic often shows equal or better site engagement metrics and frequently a higher conversion rate as well. This is on sites with enough volume for it to be statistically meaningful. Not always, but often enough.
    • Bing powers Siri, Alexa and Cortana. If voice search continues to grow and Bing maintains those partnerships, so will traffic from Bing.

17. Premiums

Premiums find.ventures

i <3 cortana

upload_2017-5-7_18-14-57.png

18. Premiums

Premiums find.ventures

19. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

This. I always look at the URL. The problem is that you can't tell if the site is legitimate just by looking at the search results. You have to visit a site that might be a spoof or even loaded with malware.
    I know that people blindly trust search engines, but it is a bad idea, because some sites may be ranking high even though they are dangerous and not trustworthy.

I always tell people to fetch software from the original source only, and not from third-party download sites, even when they come first in search results. Because the software is sometimes bundled with crap, or unverified stuff you might not want. That's what happens when you blindly trust the search results.

20. JoeE

JoeE Top Member VIP

So, in the Example given by OP, abcnews.go looks like a legitimate nGTLD domain which isn't. If this is what they're doing it will backfire and be disastrous. Subdomains will look like full domains, especially with the massive number of nGTLD extensions. no one knows them all by heart. crazy move (if true).

21. nomen

nomen Top Member VIP

22. dordomai

dordomai Top Member VIP

right. that is what I thought. Subdomains like store.apple.com would look like store.apple and there is no way to tell which one of the two it is. that is not the intended purpose of a domain as unique identifier.

23. hullswingerscom

hullswingerscom Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

This would put the fear of god on Com investors if it was to happen with Google.,
    And google have a interest in NGTLD

24. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It does not change anything actually.
    Search engines have not made domain names obsolete, even though some false prophets were already making that kind of prediction 20 years ago... and then came the apps... again the same story: domain names are dying, .com is dying...

Simply put, domain names are not dying as long as they will be used in advertising.

If somebody is going to a site, and they type in the domain, even if the browser 'steals' the traffic and converts it to google/bing search, it should still lead to the intended destination.
    I just think masking the URL isn't good, because of the phishing risk. I guess the strategy is to remove data from search results, that is deemed to be unimportant or not relevant. The question is, is the URL relevant or not for search purposes...

25. Rhythm8

Rhythm8 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

That's why they are buying gtlds

.Brand will destroy .Com

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice