Scam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Scott

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
Hi,

I saw your domain listed for sale.

Is it still available for sale? Have you received any bids from other buyers?

If it's still available for sale please email me your asking price.

If you have other good domains for sale feel free to email me the full list with asking prices.

If I can afford your domain I will contact you. Please don't send me multiple emails if you don't receive a reply from me and keep my email address and our correspondence confidential.
Just email me your asking price. If I decide to buy I will contact you as soon as possible.

I run a software development company. We provide custom software development in Linux, Windows XP, MS Access, MS SQL, PHP and Delphi for our clients in USA, Hong Kong, UK and Switzerland. Selling & buying names is not my main business. Just another way to invest free money and make some income.

Kindest regards,

Jack Martin

CEO

MCSE, MCSD

Martin Software Consulting

Products/Services:Billing-Direct, Cost Analysis & Revenue Assurance Software

and

Dear Scott,

Thank you for responding.

I think your name is worth something around 10,000.

We need an appraisal before making a final offer.

Our partners (webmasters and domain owners) always recommend us to verify an
independent appraisal first. It would be fair for both of us.

Please note that we don't trust free or cheap appraisals. We were burned
after accepting such appraisals in the past. So we cannot accept appraisal
from each and every site.

I asked about reputable appraisal companies in a well-known webmaster forum

http://domaintalk.ourplace.com/Archive/13476.htm
People in this suggested the following independent appraisers
http://www.AllForDomains.com and
http://www.GreatDomains.com

After we verify an appraisal from you we'll continue our negotiations.

How do you prefer to get paid: www.PayPal.com, www.escrow.com, check or
wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

Kindest Regards,

Jack Martin

Sound like a scam?

Thanks,
Scott

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
that sounds a bit fishy. i can see why you would be worried

•••
Got it a few days ago!

Scam? Not sure, but likely!

Who-is.......Jack :laugh:

Edit: Domain was IXK.us

Last edited:
•••
I recieved an email from this person for my domain oddsandrules.com

•••
was it exactly the same? word for word?

•••
Hi,

I saw your domain listed for sale.

If you have other good domains for sale feel free to email me the full list with asking prices.

If I can afford your domain I will contact you. Please don't send me multiple emails if you don't receive a reply from me and keep my email address and our correspondence confidential.
Just email me your asking price. If I decide to buy I will contact you as soon as possible.

I run a software development company. We provide custom software development in Linux, Windows XP, MS Access, MS SQL, PHP and Delphi for our clients in USA, Hong Kong, UK and Switzerland. Selling & buying names is not my main business. Just another way to invest free money and make some income.

Happy Holidays!

Kindest regards,

John Martin

CEO

MCSE, MCSD

•••
•••
I then replied asking XXXX amount for my domain and he responded.

Dear Brad,

XXXX. Ok.

Do you sell a developed site or just domain name? If you have a developed site please send us traffic statistics. If you don't have a site it's not a problem. We are mostly interested in good domain names.

We need an appraisal for domain priced in your range. In other words we need some kind of proof that your price is reasonable.

Our partners (webmasters and domain owners) always recommend us to verify an independent appraisal first. It would be fair for both of us.

I had a bad experience with www.Afternic.com before. Please read these messages
http://forum.icann.org/nsi2001/3AC75D7900000305.html

Do you have an appraisal certificate for your name? Please note that we don't trust free or cheap appraisals. So we must find a professional appraiser.

To avoid such mistakes in the future I asked about reputable appraisal companies in a well-known webmaster forum

mod edit: link to webmasterforum/DNF removed, as per NP rules - armstrong
My nickname there is JMARTIN. Hope webmasters will recommend appraisal companies with good reputation.

How do you prefer to get paid: www.PayPal.com, www.escrow.com, check or wire?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

John Martin

•••
are these domains really worth that much in anyones mind?

•••
If "John" or "Jack" were serious about paying good $$$ for a domain they would pay for the appraisal themselves. These cases sound like the usual appraisal scam racket where the seller pays for an appraisal with a company that the "buyer" has some financial interest in.

Keep on playing with this guy if you want, but don't pay any money for an appraisal. The buyer should pay.

•••
•••
When I receive offers or emails from interested buyers their emails are normally short and sweet. " Hi, I am interested in this name, is it for sale? " it seems that most run-on/long-winded/story-telling emails/offers fall under the scam category or perhaps just a coincidence... as soon as I see the term/word " appraisal " in an email offer I simply delete the email and move on...

•••
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I'll post the full email headers when I get back later, might prove useful to someone in the same boat who's searching for that email or IP.

•••
This email has been around for two years. SCAM, got an offer a year ago.

•••
taheny said:
If "John" or "Jack" were serious about paying good $$$ for a domain they would pay for the appraisal themselves. These cases sound like the usual appraisal scam racket where the seller pays for an appraisal with a company that the "buyer" has some financial interest in.

Keep on playing with this guy if you want, but don't pay any money for an appraisal. The buyer should pay.

i agree , they trying to sell you an appraisal *****SCAM**** >:(

•••
AsclepiusZ said:
are these domains really worth that much in anyones mind?

I suppose I would take it. :sold:

but, they would have to pay for the appraisal at that price! ;)

•••
My guess would be these sites they "suggest" you get it appraised at are either their own site, or a site they are affiliated with and will make $$ from. Think of how many domain owners they probably suckered into purchasing an appraisal, which made them $$.

•••
Got this this morning for my Incorporate cc :

Hi,

I saw your domain listed for sale two weeks ago. I was busy and could not contact you at that time.

Kindest regards,

Jack Martin

CEO

MCSE, MCSD

•••
He said....

You ask for serious money and I need a proof.

I understand you, but usually sellers provide buyers with appraisals. It's a
common practice. Independent appraisers are involved in any serious
purchase.

and I replied with

Feel free to pay for the appraisal and deduct it from the offer, if you choose to make one.

Full email headers

X-Gmail-Received: 4129bbd2ab714c5ec64d7c1e4b1dce5ed9aa7dc8
Delivered-To: ME
Received: by 10.38.76.31 with SMTP id y31cs21681rna;
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:14:13 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.39.1.5 with SMTP id d5mr17233rni;
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:13:01 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from tzec.mtu.ru (tzec.mtu.ru [195.34.34.228])
by mx.gmail.com with ESMTP id 74si16502rnb.2005.01.12.13.12.43;
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:12:46 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: neutral (gmail.com: 195.34.34.228 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of [email protected])
Received: from firstbroker (ppp129-79.dialup.mtu-net.ru [62.118.129.79])
by smtp.MTU.RU (Postfix) with SMTP id 5E7F81940B
for <ME>; Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:05:38 +0300 (MSK)
(envelope-from [email protected])
To: ME
Subject: Is pimpgame.info still for sale ?
X-Mailer: NetMasters SMTP Demo
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:05:38 +0300 (MSK)

•••
•••
This must be the 2-300th time ive read such a thread.. I remember one member here, cant remember who, started corresponding with these morons and stringing them along... After 3 or 4 delay inducing questions and time wasting bits of fun, these a*holes got real nasty and sent him some threatening stuff...

One word of advice: people spending their days trying to solicit money out of people using illegal activity do not like being messed with themselves....

•••
Hi

I had a few of these emails too. It was great fun stringing them along I found that . I think they are based in russia run by someone called Andrew (Not very russian umm most def not real name. Said i was visiting russia soon and we could discuss the details then . They soon stopped,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back