Dynadot

poll SaxoBank.com registers .saxo extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you register your own extension if the .com was unavailable for purchase?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Aspiring Billionaire

Established Member
Impact
The Saxo Bank Group A/S may not have been able to acquire saxo.com, so they applied for the registration and exclusive use of their very own branded extension .saxo (the failed acquisition and reason for tld registration is purely speculation on my part).

SAXO.png

Saxo.com appears to be a Danish owned online book store. While Saxo Bank (founded in 1992) is also based in Denmark, there are no articles or information on the internet (or the WIPO database) that talks about an attempt to acquire the premium saxo.com domain name from the online bookstore. As domainers we can only speculate. It should be noted that several disputes have been made and rightfully won by Saxo Bank in relation to other trademark infringements and cyber-squatting cases.

While their previously used domain "saxobank.com" redirects to their new extension "home.saxo", there are still sub-domains (like help.saxobank.com) being used for their customers to access information on. The reasons Anna Granholm-Brun (Senior Digital Strategist at Saxo Bank) gave for the decision to register and operate on the .saxo extension, was among others:

1. Innovation.
2. Security.
3. Branding.
4. User Experience.

This information is proof of the importance domaining plays in the business world. It affords end-users the opportunity to acquire their ideal domain name on the aftermarket (or at the very least have an experienced broker attempt to acquire it on their behalf ). Can you imagine what the recurring annual costs are to maintain ownership of the .saxo extension! Crazy money down the drain IMHO.

Would you go to this extent to re-brand if your desired premium domain name was unavailable to purchase?

Sources:
https://domainia.com/tlds/SAXO/application/1-1043-58809
https://www.makeway.world/latest-news/news-slider/why-did-saxo-bank-move-its-homepage-to-home-saxo/
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/fulltext_decisions.jsp?tab=1&q=saxo&rows=20

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you have the money to do so then why not? Not sure whether it is a good idea but we'll soon find out. If they keep the domain for the next 2-3 years then it has worked otherwise it was a mistake.

•••
If you have the money to do so then why not? Not sure whether it is a good idea but we'll soon find out. If they keep the domain for the next 2-3 years then it has worked otherwise it was a mistake.
Application was made in 2012, original articles written in 2013.

•••
Application was made in 2012, original articles written in 2013.
I guess it has worked then. They are happy with their decision. Personally I am not a fan home.saxo seems a bit amateurish imo.

•••
Their original domain is better but there are hundreds of gtld variations of their original donain

Although their new domain doesnt look as good etc it makes it virtually impossible to be copied and thus bypasses hundreds of gtld variations

•••
The Saxo Bank Group A/S may not have been able to acquire saxo.com, so they applied for the registration and exclusive use of their very own branded extension .saxo
Would you register your own extension if the .com was unavailable for purchase?

The answer is yes, I already did that... in fact I registered both, the .com and the new gtld for my business brand!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back