Dynadot

advice Same buyer bought my domain twice in 2 different platforms!

NameSilo
Watch

abdou01

Top Member
Impact
First: Happy new year 2020 to all NP community.
I need you to help me making a good decision please: l have a domain for sale in two platforms: Sedo with BIN 20000 euros, and GoDaddy (make offer). Last week someone did an offer of $3500 on GoDaddy which was countered before the buyer accepts $11000. Godaddy created an Escrow.com transaction and I didn't change the Sedo BIN price or remove the domain from Sedo because the buyer did not select a payment method on Escrow.com.

Today morning I received an email from Sedo informing me that someone hit a BIN for the domain (same one) and Sedo sent a payment request (20000 euros) to the buyer. When I checked the country of the Sedo buyer it was the same of the Godaddy buyer! (Small country).
2 hours later I received an email from Escrow.com informing me that they secured the Godaddy buyer payment ($11000) and I should transfer the domain to the buyer!
I am sure that the GD and Sedo buyers are the same one, and I am sure that the sale on Sedo will not complete because the buyer will not pay 20000 euros for a domain that he 'already' has.
I don't know why the buyer did this ? Bad faith or just to be sure that there is no one who can hit BIN in Sedo while the transaction in Escrow.com is in progress?

What do you think? And how can I avoid problems with Sedo and GD?

Thank you for your help.

PS: the domain is still in my Dynadot account, I did not push it to buyer account yet.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No need to say that any BIN should be removed from other places as soon as the transaction is started somewhere. But, you have to resolve the issue in one way or another, so:

Since escrow.com thinks that they secured payment (which may or may not be the case, there was a horror story reported right here on NP how they sent out such an email without actually receiving anything), you should now proceed with the domain transfer using escrow.com. A delay would not change anything.

As for Sedo, you should probably tell them the whole story and they will cancel the transaction. Be honest. Will they close your account or otherwise "sanction" you? I do not know. It may also depend on your account history with Sedo, is it "Pro" account (with a dedicated manager) or "normal" account, etc. But, all would be looking better if you still offer them to pay their commission from the sale. They would not necessary bill you, but your genuine intention to resolve the issue will be helpful to maintain your Sedo account in good standing.

If it is the same buyer ... he would unlikely pay twice, so the Sedo transaction will be canceled after some time anyway. But, Sedo will try to make him pay. They may call the buyer. He will respond "Sorry, I already have the domain". Sedo may then ask you "Dear, please pay us our commisson. We lost it because of your actions". And you will have to respond...

Last edited:
•••
I sent a message to Sedo where I explain the whole story, I hope that they don't close my account.

•••
I sent a message to Sedo where I explain the whole story, I hope that they don't close my account.

Keep us posted please, thanks. (quite some amount there)

•••
Good news: Sedo understood the issue and cancelled the transaction without banning me :)
Thank you @Sedo

•••
From my experience, Sedo doesn't ban old members even if they win auctions and then don't pay...
I had such case in the past, old and well-known Russian domainer didn't pay for my auctioned .TV domain and wasn't banned.

•••
Did you get any feedback from Sedo why they didn't ban him?

•••
They said that his "credit score" is good and nothing more.

•••
Congrats on the sale!
Looking forward to seeing the details of it if it's possible.

•••
Good news: Sedo understood the issue and cancelled the transaction without banning me :)
Thank you @Sedo

Glad it went well!

I did the same mistake in the past, and ended up in a quite interesting situation.

I had an .org domain that I did not see as having much value. So by quick reaction I accepted an offer for $100 from a Dan lander.

Just a minute later, while I was heading to Afternic to delete the BIN I had there, I got an email from them saying that the domain has just been sold for 1.5K and it has been already transfered to another buyer! It appears I have listed the same domain (wrong price) at 1.5K on Afternic.

So that was a both great and nasty situation. Fortunately Dan.com was quite understanding for the $9 they missed and they cancelled the transaction. I got just a sensible warning to clean up my portfolio which I did. Lesson learned.

Side note I have BIN in 2 places, both on Afternic and own landers; if it goes double sold I will proceed with Afternic and cancel my own lander sale, in which case I might only be due for Escrow.com fees. But that's a less likely event though, and far better than getting your account disabled on a major marketplace.

•••
•••
So that was a both great and nasty situation. Fortunately Dan.com was quite understanding for the $9 they missed and they cancelled the transaction. I got just a sensible warning to clean up my portfolio which I did. Lesson learned.

When listing on platforms double check, infact triple check your listings.

If the transaction starts with an offer received from one platform, you should remove the BIB from other places.

•••
When listing on platforms double check, infact triple check your listings.

If the transaction starts with an offer received from one platform, you should remove the BIB from other places.

There was only one BIN on Afternic. I always use BIN on a single platform for this very reason.

The mistake was impulse-accepting the offer before heading to Afternic to remove the listing. "Can't happen within this very minute" was my thought - well, in fact it did.

Listings were ok, my procedure to accept the offer was not - but again lessons learned. First remove listing, then accept the offer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back