IT.COM

Sales Forum With Comments Allowed?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
How about a sales forum where comments are acceptable? I really like to see comments in sales threads, especially for sites for sale. It's a bit like running a gauntlet and as a community sales are evaluated and scams and additional info is turned up. If a seller can answer feedback and take a snarky comment or two about their name for sale I believe it adds legitimacy to the sale. If the comments make you want to cry then post it in a no comments section.

Also, it's just entertaining in my book!

I can understand that some people wouldn't want comments in their sales threads, but I for one welcome them. It gets people talking about names, which is what we're all here for.

(Also, I miss the high value domain sales forum, another entertaining section)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The problem with allowing comments in sales threads is some will be abused unfortunately to bump up their threads time and time again which is unfair to everyone else. The fairest way :imho: is how it is now, bumps/updates once every 24 hours with comment left out.

The other problem with comments is some are

This domain is not worth that
If you lower the price let me know

kinda comments which are time consuming to police

•••
Interesting! Are you suggesting we have a single unmoderated sales forum where anything goes? I personally would also welcome questions and comments on my own sales threads, but I know many wouldn't. We have the no-comments rule as a courtesy to sellers.

While having comments can serve to legitimize an offer, some comments only serve to distract or derail a sale. Sales crashing we call it. I'm talking about stuff like "too pricey for me" or "you can get this from so-and-so for $5 cheaper". Questions to seller are allowed now as it is but comments like these get deleted frequently by moderators.

•••
Scam comments or comments regarding the legitimacy of the domain/traffic/ownership etc
or whatever the case maybe, I like to leave as well until they are proven.
If they aren't legitimized then the thread will be removed.

Ben42, anytime you have a doubt, you can always let one of us know or report the post.
We will find out what we can and if required post them. :)

I miss the High Priced Domain forum too.

•••
Want unmoderated comments on sales threads?
Not here, but go to that scammer/spammer forum.
You know which one.

I like the idea of no comments that are degrading to the sales thread.
Like do I want to know what some peon thinks when it comes to price?
Or some idiot saying one can get it cheaper, or better, elsewhere?

Keep it the way it is.

•••
Since we are discussing this I figured I'd chime in since I saw the following posted by RJ: "Questions to seller are allowed now". When I first came onboard I was trained that questions should be kept to PM and some domain marketplace rules still state: "1. No Comments in Sales threads, Clarifications can be done via pm.". Clarifications would be the same thing as questions/answers wouldn't it?

Not trying to be nit picky here, just looking to correct the sections rules if questions are now allowed in sales threads.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. :)

Eric Lyon

•••
Most questions can be and should be done through PM :imho:

But ones related to what I posted up there should be allowed for everyone to see.
But not 3 or 4 of the same, one is all it takes.

dawg I agree with you about the types of comments that would more than likely be posted,
they are now anyways, but get deleted LOL

Opinions have no place in Marketplace Threads.

•••
With the new "Like" and "dislike" I think as a community we can do quite a bit of policing on our own. If someone posts "Too Pricey" and gets a bunch of likes the OP may want to consider their asking price if they are serious about selling. If someone makes the same comment and gets a bunch of dislikes the poster may consider they are really cheap!

I think such a forum would get a lot of traffic making it attractive for sellers willing to run the gauntlet. I know it'd be the first forum I'd check out.

If someone says if they lower the price let me know, at least you have a lead.

Overall I think such a forum would lead to a lot more community participation, which helps combat some stagnation I've been noticing as of late.

I know if I posted a .pro name MG would jump in and talk about it being a waste of money and other .pro fans would come in and defend it. At the end of the day I think it'd make for an interesting section.

•••
^Then that would be for the .pro Discussion thread or an Appraisal thread.
But not for the Marketplace.

When someone posts a name for sale, who are we as a community to devaluate it
or allow it to be?

•••
Its actually we as a community that are setting the reseller price. I think as a community it should be discussed while that price is being set.

Admittedly it's not for all sellers and I wouldn't want to see the format applied to all sales forums. But having one as RJ mentions, to try out, would be an interesting experiment.

•••
I think that having a discussion in a sales thread is asking for trouble. You cant just allow *nice* comments and deleted the * this name is crap* comments to make all sale threads fairy nice so I can see nothing but bad comming from it. I dont think the like dislike should be turned on at all in the market place.. one mans gold etc..

•••
I think allowing video comments would solve the problem. If someone wants to comment they must do it in the form of a YouTube embed.

•••
If I post a name I want to sell for $100, and you decide to post that it's only worth $5 in your opinion,
what would make me want to stay in a community where I can't sell anything for a price I've listed?

Above comment by mg an example [and on queue] :hehe:

•••
I think allowing video comments would solve the problem. If someone wants to comment they must do it in the form of a YouTube embed.

LOL! Now that's thinking outside the (Quick Reply) box. :D

•••
If I post a name I want to sell for $100, and you decide to post that it's only worth $5 in your opinion,
what would make me want to stay in a community where I can't sell anything for a price I've listed?

I think there are some who would be interested in seeing that $5 offer. If I got a bunch of dislikes (Including your own) I'd eventually develop the reputation of being a low-baller.

Over-protection of the OP does keep things clean, but as a whole I don't believe makes it a forum, but more of a classified ad.

•••
It will still be abused by *friends* with comments of great name :tu: and good luck..

and will be abused by others with..

name sucks, overpriced

And.. I can see lots of pms like.. Ive decided to sell my name at *somewhere else* please delete thread as it has negative comments ..

•••
True, there will always be those who want to take their ball and go home. Also, I can see it starting fights. But it will also create some meaningful discussion. To use an online gaming term, I'd like to think of it as a PVP area.

•••
Exactly Ben .. meaningful *discussion*

Discussion should be just that imo not in the marketplace

•••
I guess it comes down to if the price is too high, don't bid/offer/comment.

Not sure what you mean by over protection of the OP though?
If there is concern about the sale then it is addressed, as it always has been.

Being able to post that the OP's name is crap or you wouldn't pay $5 for it
or fill the OP up with Dislikes...does not help the community at all.

One bad name and game over because I don't have high end names, doesn't mean I should get a bunch of dislikes for it.
I'm trying to make a living too.

and you keep saying Discussion, it's Marketplace LOL

•••
Yes, I suppose it's a Marketplace with discussion. A hybrid if you will, thats the idea. ;)

•••
A no holds bared marketplace section sounds like a fitting title would be:

"Domain Gladiator School"
(Do you have what it takes to survive?)

Or maybe:

"Gladiators Marketplace"
(Uncut / Uncensored / Raw / Cut throat sales)

or even:

"The Thunder Dome"
(Knuckle up or Shut up)

At any rate, I can only see an unmoderated marketplace section causing more drama than solutions. It's humorous to think about and sounds good in theory. I just think discussions should stick to the discussion sections and sales should stick to the marketplace. Mixing the 2 seems like adding fuel to a fire for the consistent rule breakers.

Maybe it would give them a place to vent when having a bad day & they will stop doing it in other sections of the community. Or it might just backfire and get people sooo riled up and angry that their anger spreads even more across the whole community.

Granted, I'm just speculating, naturally we wouldn't really know what would happen unless we piloted / test ran something like this. I'm just not sold on the idea that a Gladiators type marketplace is the right directional image for NamePros.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Eric Lyon

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back