IT.COM

Sale of IDN on Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Newbie question:

I cannot put on sale ɜ.com with Sedo. I tought they did not want to sell IDN that could seem misleading (I would of course have put what it is in the description). But, now I see:

físh.com
http://sedo.fr/auction/auction_detail.php?language=fr&auction_id=4060&tracked=&partnerid=

There is no indication that it's an IDN name and if you don't pay attention you can believe it's fish.com. I simply was suprised by the price and then I realised. IMHO, this is quite misleading and shoud not happen.

But, do you know if I have to do something special to put ɜ.com on sale.

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have been able to put all my IDNs on Sedo without a problem. Put them on ages ago too.

I agree with fish.com - domains like this are very confusing, and IMO worthless (unless it actually means something).

Rich

•••
Thanks. I will check with them.

•••
"I can't tell you why. I just see it and try to figure it out. Give the guys that bought right and are getting bids a tip of the hat. Their success is in no way a THREAT to yours. It may even enhance it. Maybe not. But it is and will always be the MARKET that dictates the answer.

Let me quote myself and state I wish that all domainers of good will could accept. "All successes should be applauded as a success for one is a success for all". Pretty simple stuff." - Rick Schwartz

If físh.com is selling for $5K, here is your chance to get Físhing.com!

http://www.namepros.com/idn-domains-for-sale/283204-fishing-com-prime-fishing-domain.html

•••
•••
Don't forget to mention the 100 Google SERP for "Físhing", no Overture, and no Google trends.

Taking advantage of a bad situation - not cool!

•••
white_crane said:
"I can't tell you why. I just see it and try to figure it out. Give the guys that bought right and are getting bids a tip of the hat. Their success is in no way a THREAT to yours. It may even enhance it. Maybe not. But it is and will always be the MARKET that dictates the answer.

Let me quote myself and state I wish that all domainers of good will could accept. "All successes should be applauded as a success for one is a success for all". Pretty simple stuff." - Rick Schwartz

If físh.com is selling for $5K, here is your chance to get Físhing.com!

http://www.namepros.com/idn-domains-for-sale/283204-fishing-com-prime-fishing-domain.html

I will not applaud if "success" comes from misleading people. Do I judge? No. Am I jealous? No. Do I hope that I would no do it? Yes. End of the story.

•••
thefabfive said:
Don't forget to mention the 100 Google SERP for "Físhing", no Overture, and no Google trends.

Taking advantage of a bad situation - not cool!

Next up: phíshing.com. :lol:

•••
Totally agreed my friends! Domains like this will only put a bad name on IDNs.

•••
rawkinrich said:
Totally agreed my friends! Domains like this will only put a bad name on IDNs.

I'd normally agree with this statement, but this sale is just like other sales that have been posted on the forum where people accidentally buy names like F00T.com thinking it was foot.com or AMER1CA.COM instead of America.com. Sedo is at fault by not mentioning this was an IDN domain, though (did they? I read they didn't), but it is obvious it wasn't fish.com [you can see the little line above the i], but an inexperienced domainer might have thought otherwise. Very expensive lesson for the buyer unless they did mean to purchase the name, but for everyone: do research before purchasing domains :)

IDNs are already doing well. I'm preparing myself for the next 2-3 months because I expect a HUGE leap compared to what I'm receiving now.

•••
Fka200 said:
I'd normally agree with this statement, but this sale is just like other sales that have been posted on the forum where people accidentally buy names like F00T.com thinking it was foot.com or AMER1CA.COM instead of America.com.

People should have more common sense than to jump and buy a domain without at least doing a little research on the name first.

People looking at AMER1CA.COM thinking it was america or something similar, must be a tad silly to think its the real thing.

•••
This is just a symptom of how many Western Domainers notably Americans have little or no understanding of the globalisation of the Internet in general and IDN in particular.

Those that feel this what IDNs are all about are beneath contempt. Sedo should have done much more to highlight the nature of this particular sale, and that fact that it can handle this rubbish but not transact Japanese, Chinese, Russian or Arabic IDN is nothing short of a disgrace.

•••
Rubber Duck said:
This is just a symptom of how many Western Domainers notably Americans have little or no understanding of the globalisation of the Internet in general and IDN in particular.

Those that feel this what IDNs are all about are beneath contempt. Sedo should have done much more to highlight the nature of this particular sale, and that fact that it can handle this rubbish but not transact Japanese, Chinese, Russian or Arabic IDN is nothing short of a disgrace.

I partially agree with RD all the time and this is one of those few occasions I completely agree with him.

•••
I was thinking that fish.com going for 2250 usd was very cheap and decided to monitor the sale. There are only a couple of minutes left now. Maybe I have checked the auction page 10 times and it was on my last check that I realizes this was not fish.com but físh.com with an í instead i.

I think sedo should make it more clear. It is very very easy to get fooled by this.

•••
MarcelProust said:
I was thinking that fish.com going for 2250 usd was very cheap and decided to monitor the sale. There are only a couple of minutes left now. Maybe I have checked the auction page 10 times and it was on my last check that I realizes this was not fish.com but físh.com with an í instead i.

I think sedo should make it more clear. It is very very easy to get fooled by this.

Dear Marcel,

Sedo halted this Auction once and reclarified the sale before restarting it. This was the crystal clear version you have been looking at. The previous version was very unclear, but as someone said,"anyone who thinks they are getting fish.com for $2,250 must be incredibly stupid".

•••
Lol, I didn't expect to get fish.com for $2250. I was expecting the bids to flow in the last few minutes. So I was getting ready to put a 3000 USD in the 10 minutes or so just to see what would happen.

On the other hand I disagree with you the name being crsital clear. Does this look cristal clear or misleding > físh.com

Not everybody who bids on sedo is a domainer. They should have made it clearer by adding the conversation of idn's.

It should look like this:

Domain name xn--fsh-rma.com (físh.com) is on auction.

I'm very dissapointed with sedo on allowing dodgy sellers to fool people. They must make it clearer.

As far as I know "físh" is not a word in any language. This is a dodgy sale.

•••
MarcelProust said:
Lol, I didn't expect to get fish.com for $2250. I was expecting the bids to flow in the last few minutes. So I was getting ready to put a 3000 USD in the 10 minutes or so just to see what would happen.

On the other hand I disagree with you the name being crsital clear. Does this look cristal clear or misleding > físh.com

Not everybody who bids on sedo is a domainer. They should have made it clearer by adding the conversation of idn's.

It should look like this:

Domain name xn--fsh-rma.com (físh.com) is on auction.

I'm very dissapointed with sedo on allowing dodgy sellers to fool people. They must make it clearer.

It is unfortunate that most interest is focused on these kinds of domains at the moment. This is not what is known as mixed script, as all these letters actually coexist in an alphabet somewhere. This configuration, however, doesn't mean anything in the languages that correspond to those alphabets.

In the short-term the domain does have value as it will get Search Ranking as if it were fish.com. This is only because Google's algorithms have not been adjusted to ensure that rubbish like this doesn't get undue promotion. That will almost certainly happen over the next few months, as the World adjusts to a new reality. Once that happens these domains will be worthless.

Domain value rests on the three R's. Recognition, Recollection and Reproducibility. This doesn't really have the Recognition, as those that think they know what it is, actually don't. The Recollection will cause nearly everyone to Reproduce something else, and Reproduction can only be achieved in an environment where the domain means nothing. Worthless according to that model. Its only value is that the Search Engines are also temporarily being fooled.

Last edited:
•••
First time I heard of these domains was I was bidding on a very nice domain I thought on ebay. But found out it wasn't really the domain just this idn stuff and so I didn't bid anymore. I don't understand the idn thing I mean I do but just don't lol meaning I just don't know why people came up with such a thing makes domains sales kind of bad if they didn't pay attention.

•••
shanee86 said:
First time I heard of these domains was I was bidding on a very nice domain I thought on ebay. But found out it wasn't really the domain just this idn stuff and so I didn't bid anymore. I don't understand the idn thing I mean I do but just don't lol meaning I just don't know why people came up with such a thing makes domains sales kind of bad if they didn't pay attention.

Shanee, the domains you are seeing (like this fish.com for example) are just one of the many ways people are trying to exploit buyers and scam people. IDNs (International Domain Names) are much more valuable than people think right now, and by IDN I am talking about ACTUAL words in peoples native languages. For example, In chinese, "Gonsi" means "Company" in english. Obviously company.com is taken, so their next best thing is Gonsi.com. Not anymore, with IDNs it is possible for anyone to register domains in their native language. In this case, 公司.com will be equivalent to our Company.com in english. A lot of people think that IDNs are a waste of time. Why? Why should people in Asia be limited in the websites they can purchase. When we want to fly somewhere, we just go to priceline.com or orbitz.com... they can start going to their own websites in their own native language and for the people that argue that others will not be able to access these websites since they dont have the native language installed on their computer... EXACTLY. Why WOULD THEY NEED TO? If you don't speak the language you wouldn't even know the word exist! So obviously people who make that argument are really full of themselves.

Maybe I got a little carried away, so if you need more information just let me know!

•••
Fka200 said:
Shanee, the domains you are seeing (like this fish.com for example) are just one of the many ways people are trying to exploit buyers and scam people. IDNs (International Domain Names) are much more valuable than people think right now, and by IDN I am talking about ACTUAL words in peoples native languages. For example, In chinese, "Gonsi" means "Company" in english. Obviously company.com is taken, so their next best thing is Gonsi.com. Not anymore, with IDNs it is possible for anyone to register domains in their native language. In this case, 公司.com will be equivalent to our Company.com in english. A lot of people think that IDNs are a waste of time. Why? Why should people in Asia be limited in the websites they can purchase. When we want to fly somewhere, we just go to priceline.com or orbitz.com... they can start going to their own websites in their own native language and for the people that argue that others will not be able to access these websites since they dont have the native language installed on their computer... EXACTLY. Why WOULD THEY NEED TO? If you don't speak the language you wouldn't even know the word exist! So obviously people who make that argument are really full of themselves.

Maybe I got a little carried away, so if you need more information just let me know!

Yes, and if they haven't got the relevant fonts installed in their OS, then they won't see them anyway. I guess half the people looking at this are still wondering what the white boxes mean!

•••
Rubber Duck said:

Excuse me..... as an American I would disagree with your rational that ignorance is the stemming reason "we" Americans don't reg IDN names. That we are unaware of these "IDN" names. Rather I would suggest to you that "Americans" are aware of them but that we would rather not waste our time with such garbage. Regging these names, seems to me, to be an act of desperation. To deceive another in an attempt to profit from deceit. When these names are purchased to translate into english words there is clearly a disconnect from the IDN origin.

If the IDN was strong and valuable then why would the domain name need to be a translation of another countries language?

One more aspect for you to think about....America is a melting pot of various ethnicities so what region of the world would you place the ignorance (globalization) label on? Unless you think Americans fell out of the sky, from planet Americana, and have zero reflection on other nationalities. Then we, Americans, are a globalization of ethnicities in domaining. In fact I would go out on a limb and state that a good portion of the serious domainers I've met in the states have been of foreign ethnicities.

IMHumbleO
namenut

•••
namenut said:
Excuse me..... as an American I would disagree with your rational that ignorance is the stemming reason "we" Americans don't reg IDN names. That we are unaware of these "IDN" names. Rather I would suggest to you that "Americans" are aware of them but that we would rather not waste our time with such garbage. Regging these names, seems to me, to be an act of desperation. To deceive another in an attempt to profit from deceit. When these names are purchased to translate into english words there is clearly a disconnect from the IDN origin.

If the IDN was strong and valuable then why would the domain name need to be a translation of another countries language?

One more aspect for you to think about....America is a melting pot of various ethnicities so what region of the world would you place the ignorance (globalization) label on? Unless you think Americans fell out of the sky, from planet Americana, and have zero reflection on other nationalities. Then we, Americans, are a globalization of ethnicities in domaining. In fact I would go out on a limb and state that a good portion of the serious domainers I've met in the states have been of foreign ethnicities.

IMHumbleO
namenut

How eloquently you prove my point.

•••
namenut said:
Excuse me..... as an American I would disagree with your rational that ignorance is the stemming reason "we" Americans don't reg IDN names. That we are unaware of these "IDN" names. Rather I would suggest to you that "Americans" are aware of them but that we would rather not waste our time with such garbage.

Excuse me...

I am an American. I am aware of IDNs, and I register IDNs. I do not appreciate your speaking for me (as an American) when you refer to other nations' languages as "garbage" that is a "waste [of] time."

namenut said:
Regging these names, seems to me, to be an act of desperation. To deceive another in an attempt to profit from deceit. When these names are purchased to translate into english words there is clearly a disconnect from the IDN origin.

I can only guess that you are confused by what an "IDN" is, due to your arguement here. IDN stands for Internationalized Domain Name. It is simply a domain that allows the use of diacritical marks or script languages other that the ASCII a-z, hyphen, and 0-9. IDN is not a language unto itself. If you are speaking specifically about domains like "físh.com," well, that word doesn't mean anything in any language, and buyer should do their due diligence before buying. It could be compared to buying "B00K.com" because you thought it was "BOOK.com."

namenut said:

IMHumbleO
namenut

Which is precisely why American domainers should embrace foreign-language domains; based on the entrepreneurial American spirit and the melting pot of America. Unfortunately, the experience is that American domainers (and oftern Americans in general) shun things that are different or "foreign."

I know we're all making broad generalizations based on some past experience, and I don't think we need to perpetuate an "us against them" mentality in any form. The bottom line is that domains like "físh.com" are a rip-off no matter how you cut it, because they don't mean anything in any other language, English or otherwise.

If you or anyone would like a more in-depth experience with IDNs, whether to get into the game or just to learn about an aspect of domaining that you might not have much first-hand knowledge of, PM me. I can give you a link to an outstanding forum with a very broad knowledge base of IDNs and domains in general, as well as a multi-national user base who work in IDNs on a daily basis.

•••
domainstosell said:
Excuse me...

I am an American. I am aware of IDNs, and I register IDNs. I do not appreciate your speaking for me (as an American) when you refer to other nations' languages as "garbage" that is a "waste [of] time."

I can only guess that you are confused by what an "IDN" is, due to your arguement here. IDN stands for Internationalized Domain Name. It is simply a domain that allows the use of diacritical marks or script languages other that the ASCII a-z, hyphen, and 0-9. IDN is not a language unto itself. If you are speaking specifically about domains like "físh.com," well, that word doesn't mean anything in any language, and buyer should do their due diligence before buying. It could be compared to buying "B00K.com" because you thought it was "BOOK.com."

Which is precisely why American domainers should embrace foreign-language domains; based on the entrepreneurial American spirit and the melting pot of America. Unfortunately, the experience is that American domainers (and oftern Americans in general) shun things that are different or "foreign."

I know we're all making broad generalizations based on some past experience, and I don't think we need to perpetuate an "us against them" mentality in any form. The bottom line is that domains like "físh.com" are a rip-off no matter how you cut it, because they don't mean anything in any other language, English or otherwise.

If you or anyone would like a more in-depth experience with IDNs, whether to get into the game or just to learn about an aspect of domaining that you might not have much first-hand knowledge of, PM me. I can give you a link to an outstanding forum with a very broad knowledge base of IDNs and domains in general, as well as a multi-national user base who work in IDNs on a daily basis.

LOL.....

First off I never called any other nations language garbage. I recent your implication.

I called names that are regged with the intention of deceiving another person garbage!!!!! Also I made the point that we Americans are of all ethnicities so how can you single us out as ignorant in comparison to what ....other countries tendancies? We represent all countries so you are basing your "Americanisms" on some miss guided perception.

In fact you agreed with me that these meaningless names are in your words "a rip off" and that's OK? But in my words "garbage" you don't appreciate it? Strange...... I am speaking of names that are obviously meant to fool the buyer...... They are garbage!!!! Or if you preffer ......
"a rip off". I can agree with that!

namenut

•••
namenut said:
LOL.....

First off I never called any other nations language garbage. I recent your implication.

I called names that are regged with the intention of deceiving another person garbage!!!!! Also I made the point that we Americans are of all ethnicities so how can you single us out as ignorant in comparison to what ....other countries tendancies? We represent all countries so you are basing your "Americanisms" on some miss guided perception.

In fact you agreed with me that these meaningless names are in your words "a rip off" and that's OK? But in my words "garbage" you don't appreciate it? Strange...... I am speaking of names that are obviously meant to fool the buyer...... They are garbage!!!! Or if you preffer ......
"a rip off". I can agree with that!

namenut

You didn't say meaningless domains were "garbage," you said IDNs are "garbage." The common use of the term IDN is to describe a domain in a foreign language or script. That is what makes it look like you are calling other languages garbage.

The fact that the domain in question is an accented domain doesn't help issues, but it is basically a domain meant to deceive, like any other misrepresented domain sold in bad faith.

The problem is perpetuated when people weigh in on the subject with less than a basic understanding of the terms in question (i.e. - "IDN"), and then all domains that happen to be classified as "IDNs" get a bad rap, which leads to misinformation and more confusion.

This is why I offered to give you a link to a forum that deals with IDNs in many languages - real languages, not junk like the domain that was passed off at Sedo. The offer still stands, just PM me and I'll send you back the link (since we can't link to other forums in-thread).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back