Dynadot

discuss Robo or robot - which is the better prefix?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I own Robot??????.com and Godaddy values it at $1,701 ( where do they get the odd dollar? ), however, Robo??????.com sold for $15,000.The suffix is a popular financial word. This led me to wonder why my name is worth less. I can appreciate that Robo could be more brandable, but it is a bit juvenile in my opinion. I would choose Robot over Robo for a financial site any day. Am I out of touch and showing my age here?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
actually easy...

RoboCop sounds better than RobotCop.

and this goes for any names I'd say: If they sound better with robo, its robo.

(For sure however there are some industry terms, that might go better with robot. - As it would perfectly fit the definition.)

•••
"Robo" makes more sense as prefix as it has no independent meaning, its a short for "robotic". While "robot" has a complete meaning on its own and it may conflict with whatever the idea the brand wants to convey. Besides, many people tend to perceive "robot" primarily as a metal creature and delivering that idea might be also unnecessary.

Plus, as the poster above said, even if "robot" is completely fine for the idea but two words don't combine very smooth, its still better to go with "robo".

•••
This led me to wonder why my name is worth less.
Hi

there is no logic in comparing the two, because they are not the same prefix.
also, it depends on the suffix or root word, that follows the prefix.

furthermore, what one name sold for in the past, doesn't add value to your name automatically.

imo...

•••
Robo is a formative prefix (think RoboCop, RoboMaid, RoboCleaner) while Robot is a word and is better placed second (think PoliceRobot, HouseRobot, CleaningRobot). Robo can be replaced with Robotic (turning a neologism into a phrase), not so sure about Robot...

•••
Automated valuation tools and real sale prices are two different things.

I'm holding a couple of robo.tld
"robo" is more phonetic, versatile and recallable compared to "robot".

•••
I would not place much weight on GD valuations which are predominantly based on wholesale domainer buys.

That being said, I personally think Robo is more flexible for many words and is a suitable replacement for bot domains.

Its also truly a suffix. Robot is a noun and as mentioned its placement is better as a second word.

•••
Thanks for all the replies. I guess there is a reson the name was on the expired domains drop list.:)
I'll hold the name until CFDCs are here, and then see if it sells.

•••
Good question, great thread to read. All interesting solid responses. 👏

•••
As this has been moved to the niche names board, I guess it is OK to mentikon the actual name. It is RobotBanker, and it is a .com of course. You can see why I'm not sure that Robo is the best prefix. Bank customers used to expect a staid and professional service. These days bank managers don't even wear ties though.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back